Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2020 8:35:50 PM EDT
I'm putting together this thread so we can get an organized plan going for this evenot. I've gotten a good amount of people in the other thread that have expressed interest in attending so I was we could use this thread to concentrate ideas, get a headcount, answer questions, etc.

It's going to be held in Cary State Forest 7465 Pavilion Rd, Bryceville, FL 32009 on February 16, 2020 at 9AM.

I figure we can all do the 3 mile provisional hike and afterwards we can do an additional 3 miles for anyone who would like to stay on.
STANDARDS

There’s a loop that’s a little less than 2 miles that we can use for the provisional rate and lots of trails throughout that we can use to complete the remaining miles for the 6 mile hike. The trails range from hard packed dirt road to medium dirt to soft sand in a couple spots.

Remember, we can't legally carry long guns so we need to add 10 pounds of dry weight to our packs. I'll bring a scale so we can double check our weights before heading off. If you just want to come out and enjoy time outdoors with like minded people without carrying a pack or hiking distances according to standards you are welcome and encouraged to attend anyway.

Update: We’ll be hiking in the Cary tract. From highway 301 look for Pavillion Road which will have a sign for the main entrace to the park. Follow Pavilion into the park and eventually you’ll come to some camping spots and a parking area and a kiosk that has a giant map of the park and a drop box where you pay the $2 entrance fee. This is where we’ll meet up.

Taking the names from the other thread, here's who I believe to be going.
DominicO
BoostKING
mgwantob
BrowardMason
RINO_Hunter
Spartacus2002
Spartacus2002 Jr

If you plan on going and want to be added to the list or can't make it and want to be taken off comment in this thread or message me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If they allow camping there, I might head up the night before, camp, then join you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
@DominicO

exactly which tract and entrance do you want people to meet at?  Map is here https://www.fdacs.gov/content/download/32937/file/cary.pdf
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@DominicO

exactly which tract and entrance do you want people to meet at?  Map is here https://www.fdacs.gov/content/download/32937/file/cary.pdf
View Quote
I'm planning on the Cary tract and the 301 entrance as of right now but I will be going out and looking at them in the morning and I will update before I commit to anything.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Please see the update in the original post for new info
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
add me and Spartacus Junior to the list, we'll drive up the day before and camp there, then link up with you guys at 0900.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
add me and Spartacus Junior to the list, we'll drive up the day before and camp there, then link up with you guys at 0900.
View Quote
Done. Happy to have you along.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll definitely be there. I'm good for the extra 3 miles as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
We're very iffy right now, son has been sick for 3 days and is out of school tomorrow too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We're very iffy right now, son has been sick for 3 days and is out of school tomorrow too.
View Quote
Ok, let me know. I’m bringing a non member but if it’s just the two of us and @boostKING we may have to reschedule because we’d be below the 2 non related witness requirement.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok, let me know. I’m bringing a non member but if it’s just the two of us and @boostKING we may have to reschedule because we’d be below the 2 non related witness requirement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Son and I are not going to be able to attend, he's very sick, gonna stay sick through the weekend, and I gotta watch over him.  Sorry; we will make the next.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#11]
No problem. I hope he feels better soon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
@mgwantob
@BrowardMason
@RINO_Hunter

Are you guys in for this Sunday?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like I'll be bass fishing unfortunately. Got reports they are starting to bed in my favorite spots and the weather/tide is favorable
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Current weather update shows a high of 73 for the day and a chance if rain at 40% starting around noon. Winds at 5 to 10mph in the morning. Expect high humidity.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Current weather update shows a high of 73 for the day and a chance if rain at 40% starting around noon. Winds at 5 to 10mph in the morning. Expect high humidity.
View Quote
Perfect.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks like I'll be bass fishing unfortunately. Got reports they are starting to bed in my favorite spots and the weather/tide is favorable
View Quote

Fishing is the only thing I like and I’ll still be there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Son is still sick with Upper Respiratory Virus, and now I caught the crud from him. Will not be there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#18]
So 4 of us will be there? I'll be in the white grand cherokee
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So 4 of us will be there? I'll be in the white grand cherokee
View Quote
That's my count so far
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Son is still sick with Upper Respiratory Virus, and now I caught the crud from him. Will not be there.
View Quote
No problem. Feel better soon. I wish I could make yours on the 22nd but I've got a Spartan Race the next day here in Jacksonville. I'll give you a heads up for the next one.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:32:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I just saw this tonight. This is my failure and I apologize. I will check the hometown section more often if I don't make it out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just saw this tonight. This is my failure and I apologize. I will check the hometown section more often if I don't make it out tomorrow.
View Quote
Sorry you missed it. I promise I will contact you directly next time we have one scheduled.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#23]
4 of us met up for this hike. What a great group of people! I had a blast meeting up with like minded people and being part of something. If you are on the fence about going to one of these you need to just go, trust me. If it’s not with us Northeast Florida guys then meet up with your local group.

I’ve got a vague idea of doing another hike in March on the Baldwin Rail Trail. I will create another thread when this idea is more concrete. I’ll see you there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Excellent, we look forward to making the next one up your way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
4 of us met up for this hike. What a great group of people! I had a blast meeting up with like minded people and being part of something. If you are on the fence about going to one of these you need to just go, trust me. If it’s not with us Northeast Florida guys then meet up with your local group.

I’ve got a vague idea of doing another hike in March on the Baldwin Rail Trail. I will create another thread when this idea is more concrete. I’ll see you there.
View Quote
I'm down for the second hike. Definitely gotta pick better footwear next time though. My left ankle was swollen the next day lol

@DominicO are you going to post the results in the big thread? I see others are doing that now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm down for the second hike. Definitely gotta pick better footwear next time though. My left ankle was swollen the next day lol

@DominicO are you going to post the results in the big thread? I see others are doing that now.
View Quote
Yes! I hadn’t seen that. I just posted our results.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll be there for the second one.  I had the flu/bronchitis when you did the first one, but I look forward to meeting you all when the next one is scheduled. I drove out to Largo today and got my provisional as well as an additional 3 miles towards the next rating, everyone was awesome.  I am glad Floridians are coming together for this.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'll be there for the second one.  I had the flu/bronchitis when you did the first one, but I look forward to meeting you all when the next one is scheduled. I drove out to Largo today and got my provisional as well as an additional 3 miles towards the next rating, everyone was awesome.  I am glad Floridians are coming together for this.
View Quote
Great job. We’ll be happy to have you at our next one
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be there for the next one (schedule willing).  Either pick a location where people can camp the night before, or pick a 0930 start time so we can drive from 3 hours away with relative ease.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
@DominicO

any forward progress on this? We've got members in Orlando, Tampa Bay, Ocala, Tallahassee, etc. who are interested in attending a Jacksonville event.

Currently there are hikes set for Sunday, March 8 and Saturday, March 14, maybe pick a weekend after those?  Set it for 0900 so those of us driving from out of town can make it?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@DominicO

any forward progress on this? We've got members in Orlando, Tampa Bay, Ocala, Tallahassee, etc. who are interested in attending a Jacksonville event.

Currently there are hikes set for Sunday, March 8 and Saturday, March 14, maybe pick a weekend after those?  Set it for 0900 so those of us driving from out of town can make it?
View Quote
Sunday March 29, 2020 at 0900 Baldwin Rail Trail. I’ll create a new separate thread later on today.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sunday March 29, 2020 at 0900 Baldwin Rail Trail. I’ll create a new separate thread later on today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@DominicO

Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@DominicO

Added to the calendar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top