Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2020 2:28:13 PM EDT
I'm trying to figure out if there is one in my area or whether it makes sense to start one here. I am in the very Northeast corner of Florida, Duval/Nassau County area.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m not aware of one but I would be interested in joining one if it existed or was created. I am also in NE FL.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m down to help out Statewide and also if Northeast Florida forms a chapter! Office in Jax and live in Clay.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
My trip to VA made me realize that I am not going to grow or be very motivated alone. As hard as it may be to get people to participate in things other than holding a recliner down, maybe at first it is NW/NE FL and C/S FL as an effort to have enough people to make it interesting and keep events from being squashed if someone can't make it because of work or whatever. Seems like NWFL, NEFL, CFL, and SFL make the most sense for smaller groups that hike on the regular as participation in those areas becomes adequate. Maybe quarterly would be a good time for nearby groups to meet up, and a large statewide event once or twice per year makes sense. I'm fine with people from Georgia or even other states coming around if they can't get anything going in their area. In my case, I know of a few people that are in my area that may be interested, but I know of none who are a sure bet.

As far as Opsec goes, I'm fine with whoever wants to hike. The moment they start talking about doing stupid stuff they are gone or I am gone.

Let's spitball a little until we have something workable and agreeable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:53:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m down to help out Statewide and also if Northeast Florida forms a chapter! Office in Jax and live in Clay.
View Quote
Are you one of my customers? Evlutionz
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd do it. Cary State Forest near Bryceville might be a good location. It's between I-10 and I-95, centrally located for NE FL/SE GA, with lots of dry dirt roads. Trail runners use it, but otherwise it's pretty empty. There's a little-used campground for people coming from a ways away.

American Battle Buddies thread
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Again, I'm in Tallahassee. I think we can form a statewide group and rotate hike locations.
View Quote
Or like in the other thread once its formed. Regional groups can form.

I found when hosting the hikes years ago  you'll get guys to travel for the weekend events( overnight hikes) ,but day trips would cut attendance .
The 1st event would allow folks to start the networking process.

I posted a location in the other thread thats keeps drive times for most under 2 hours.( central /north Florida)
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd do it. Cary State Forest near Bryceville might be a good location. It's between I-10 and I-95, centrally located for NE FL/SE GA, with lots of dry dirt roads. Trail runners use it, but otherwise it's pretty empty. There's a little-used campground for people coming from a ways away.
View Quote
That’s close to me. It wouldn’t be difficult at all for me to get there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in, though you knew that. Cary is an easy drive for me too.

With the big morale boost from Virginia, it might be possible to have regional groups and a statewide one.

I guess I'm gonna have to start shopping for a tactical fishing rod now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

American Battle Buddies thread
View Quote
Let's make it happen. No challenge for me though. I have some issues and will need to pack as light as possible.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]
excuse my ignorance, not really sure what the goal is but count me in
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
excuse my ignorance, not really sure what the goal is but count me in
View Quote
For me, the goal is to get in shape and have some accountability. It would also be nice to hang out with some who are like-minded.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m in for NE FL in Jacksonville.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Miami_JBT and I are working on a FL ABB group.  Original thought was to have one statewide group that does regional events until we have enough momentum in each region to have a local point of contact take on the task of running their local group.  That way, we could have some statewide cohesion and coordination that leads to each local group getting up and running.

I don't want to take over FL or be the Big Boss of anything, so if you think I'm wrong, say so.  But I think there's value to at first coordinating statewide.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#16]
It's good. I think we have a thing then.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Miami_JBT and I are working on a FL ABB group.  Original thought was to have one statewide group that does regional events until we have enough momentum in each region to have a local point of contact take on the task of running their local group.  That way, we could have some statewide cohesion and coordination that leads to each local group getting up and running.

I don't want to take over FL or be the Big Boss of anything, so if you think I'm wrong, say so.  But I think there's value to at first coordinating statewide.
View Quote
Your correct on all points.
As example.

I can plan hikes all over the ONF, volusia, northern Lake county areas. Places that ive personally hiked, hosted previous arfcom hikes etc.
But ask me to have input on  something in say Tampa area.....im lost.

Going with local/regional.POC in order to guide the state group or for that region imho is the way to go.
Going that route also means more local /regional networking   recruitment etc.

Like mann posted.
Each area will get a core group that always shows up. From there itll continue to grow.
The survival forum hikes in Florida we had a good solid 8 guy crew that always went. Even to the extent we could have chaser trucks, comms networks etc on our hikes.

I hope this ABB idea takes off a gets folks out there.

Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I posted in the other thread too but I'm down to meet up for this. I'm in NE FL as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Gents,
I'm compiling a list of interested FL ABB members right now.  Those of you who aren't already in the other thread, I've just added your names to the Jacksonville group. Link below.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Florida-Battle-Buddies-chapter-of-the-ABB/10-640300/?page=2#i7049206

@evlblkwpnz @DominicO @RayJaxShooter @cttb @rival904
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#21]
@mgwantob didn't forget you, I just can't @ more than 5 people at a time
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#22]
@leftytheking
See my location input in the other thread.

Also posted a possible shake down hike/event for those in the volusia/lake/marion/putman area.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#23]
List updated
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#24]
In the main Florida thread Protus was talking about a short hike on February 16 in Lake George Forest. That’s about an hour and a half drive for me. Does that date and location work for us or do we want to try to go somewhere closer?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In the main Florida thread Protus was talking about a short hike on February 16 in Lake George Forest. That's about an hour and a half drive for me. Does that date and location work for us or do we want to try to go somewhere closer?
View Quote
I only chose that spot for these reasons.

1- easy to find via GPS/cell service.
2- with in that 1 hour distance to many ( sanford to st.augustine to Gainesville).
3- offers good parking and amenities, along with a camp area in case folks further out wish to try.
4- we have open roads and a short trail that are easy to map/pace and allow folks to shake themselves down with out killing anyone.

I normally host hikes around Alexander/juniper springs/Hopkins prairie areas in the ONF.

I just figured since we had about 4 guys in that area it'd be a good easy meet/walk before jumping feet 1st into the challenges.

Im not trying to step on any  toes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

2- with in that 1 hour distance to many ( sanford to st.augustine to Gainesville).
3- offers good parking and amenities, along with a camp area in case folks further out wish to try.
4- we have open roads and a short trail that are easy to map/pace and allow folks to shake themselves down with out killing anyone.

I normally host hikes around Alexander/juniper springs/Hopkins prairie areas in the ONF.

I just figured since we had about 4 guys in that area it'd be a good easy meet/walk before jumping feet 1st into the challenges.

View Quote
Haha, I was concerned I was stepping on yours!

How about a hike for us NE Florida people in the Cary State Forest on February 16th? If it’s not right out of the question we can work on details.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
All good..
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

How about a hike for us NE Florida people in the Cary State Forest on February 16th? If it’s not right out of the question we can work on details.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm game for this. What would be the best way to organize everyone for easy communication? Group text?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm game for this. What would be the best way to organize everyone for easy communication? Group text?
View Quote
My suggestions are:
1. no security: create a thread in FL HTF.
2.  moderate security:  use Signal app on smartphone, but that requires disclosing phone numbers and real names via IM.  I don't know if Signal does group texts.
3.  super security:  Get a free Protonmail account using your screen-name here, use that email address to create an account on the Cyphr app (yes that is spelled correctly), then communicate either by Protonmail for group emails or by Cyphr for group texts.
4.  Super duper security:  set up that free Protonmail account while logged into a VPN.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#31]
So let’s call it Sunday February 16th at Cary State Park. I’ll create a separate thread if I can get some kind of consensus on time. From there we can get some kind of group text thing going.

I’ll start. I’d prefer we start in the morning, maybe 9 AM? What do you all think?
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So let’s call it Sunday February 16th at Cary State Park. I’ll create a separate thread if I can get some kind of consensus on time. From there we can get some kind of group text thing going.

I’ll start. I’d prefer we start in the morning, maybe 9 AM? What do you all think?
View Quote
I'm game for the 16th. 9am also works for me it's only an hour drive. If this time and date works for others I'd like to see a separate thread for planning.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm game for the 16th. 9am also works for me it's only an hour drive. If this time and date works for others I'd like to see a separate thread for planning.
View Quote
In addition to you I’ve also got 2 people I know personally that have also committed to that day and time. What does the rest of the group think?

@Katanasword
@verticalgain
@evlblkwpnz
@RayJaxShooter
@cttb
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#35]
@rival904
@mgwantob
@BrowardMason
@Blanco_Diablo
@MauserMatt

Hello, please see the above post and let us know if or if we need to adjust a bit to get most of you all to make it. Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In addition to you I’ve also got 2 people I know personally that have also committed to that day and time. What does the rest of the group think?

@Katanasword
@verticalgain
@evlblkwpnz
@RayJaxShooter
@cttb
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Katanasword
@verticalgain
@evlblkwpnz
@RayJaxShooter
@cttb
I should be able to make it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I think this would work.

@RINO_Hunter

@M4REAL

@yea-right
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think this would work.

@RINO_Hunter

@M4REAL

@yea-right
View Quote
Is this for the Largo hike?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:46:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:47:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is this for the Largo hike?
View Quote
I think... its for the cary state forest posted halfway up  @M4Real
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think this would work.

@RINO_Hunter

@M4REAL

@yea-right
View Quote
Thanks.

OP I asked leftytheking to put me on the Jax list.  I might/should be able to make the 16th. As long as BrowardMason brings the crabmeat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top