Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Lord knows I put my time into activities like this in years gone by.  The most important thing I came away with was networking and building a core group of fellows you could trust, and that you knew were not just couch commandos.
I am way past prime these days, but I can always help provide logistic support.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
OK.  There is a thread in FL HTF asking about local chapters.  I'm willing to take the lead on a statewide series of events, rotating through local areas, until there is enough of a core group in each area (Tallahassee, Orlando, Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa Bay, maybe others) for local chapters to form and run it themselves.

I'm not trying to be the Big Boss of it all, I just see a very real need for us to network across FL first to provide motivation and identify leaders for local areas.  We've got relationships on Arfcom going back 20 years, it's time to start capitalizing on them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm up in Jax.

I'd prefer localized chapters with a statewide organization, personally. It would allow more frequent meetings in general and then linking up for a big event. I'd think it would also make recruitment easier to have multiple hubs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the Jax area and I'm down.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm up in Jax.

I'd prefer localized chapters with a statewide organization, personally. It would allow more frequent meetings in general and then linking up for a big event. I'd think it would also make recruitment easier to have multiple hubs.
View Quote
Local chapters would be small.
3-7 guys maybe? Depending on the area.
Imho,  in the bigger picture is fine. Big groups mean a big foot print.

But a main chapter for the state with regional charters would help bring in members ,as you say. I agree with it all.

My input is just from what ive seen in the past.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm in! I'm just northeast of Gainesville. Keep me updated on this!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm currently in the Miami area. Will be heading up to Gibsonton around march/april.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@Hamiltbl2, when did you move and the family move down to Miami? I thought you were still up in the Jacksonville area.
View Quote
@Miami_JBT

I wasn't happy at work so I went back to my old position. I came down to here in September, pulled my daughter from school at Thanksgiving, and sold my house right after new years.

She started home schooling the kids. We'll move every 6-18 months and bounce around the country wherever work takes me. Kinda like gypsies except with per diem.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Also NE of Gainesville, Keystone Heights area.

John
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Interested, been traveling a lot for work lately so I’ve missed some of the activities recently. South Florida area. Also have a second home in Clewiston/ Labelle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Cavegeo here in Seminole County.  I like this ideal very much.

When do we met?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm old with the shaggin hips and can't hike but my DW and I would be happy to watch the vehicles during the hike if y'all decide to come up here in Ocala NF. Unfortunately we have our share of methbillies and right now rainbow peeps showing up for their meetup out here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm old with the shaggin hips and can't hike but my DW and I would be happy to watch the vehicles during the hike if y'all decide to come up here in Ocala NF. Unfortunately we have our share of methbillies and right now rainbow peeps showing up for their meetup out here.
View Quote
Rainbows........
Gotta love em'. Lol
If we get a ONF hike in, be good to meet a neighbor
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm currently in the Miami area. Will be heading up to Gibsonton around march/april.
View Quote
 Welcome to Gibtown … almost 55 years on the Alafia River
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Folks, you can accelerate this process by identifying hiking locations within easy driving distance of major population centers where we can do hikes.  Needs an easy-to-find parking location and a hiking path where a dozen men with backpacks won't scare the people.

Example: Here in Pinellas County, we have the Pinellas Trail for biking, running, and single-file hiking, basically a 12-15' wide asphalt strip accessible during daylight hours only.  Lots of easy access points for parking.  Broad grassy shoulders where a crew can get off the trail for water breaks, first aid, etc.

Open carry for these events is not an option in FL, but the suggestion has been made to carry sledgehammers or homemade pipes filled with concrete to give arm conditioning similar to rifle weight.

Check the standards here for these hikes:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/American-Battle-Buddies-American-Pioneer-Corps-Guidelines/5-2291145/

NOTE: If you don't have a pack or aren't physically able to carry one, we don't care. Show up anyway.  The face-to-face networking is as important as the physical endurance training, if not more so.

More info to follow re commo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Rainbows........
Gotta love em'. Lol
If we get a ONF hike in, be good to meet a neighbor
View Quote
Looking forward to it.

Hope the rainbows don't try and burn down the Ponderosa again this year! Can't believe the USDA keeps giving them permits after that nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#19]
State road 70 west of Fort pierce has a miles long extra wide bicycle sidewalk for a road march
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The Florida Trail and Yearling Trail loop are both easily accessible and located off Hwy 19 in the Ocala Ntl. Forest.

I am in the Bostwick area between Palatka and Green Cove, and these areas are maybe 30 minutes to an hour from me.

You can't carry long guns there because it is a wildlife preserve, but I personally like the pipe-on-a-rifle-sling idea.  If we go to the Ocala NF during hunting season, it would also be a good idea to wear an orange vest, though it is not required.  The ONF is divided into 4 areas, each with their own hunting seasons we'll need to be aware of, but it's pretty straightforward.

The ONF also allows true backcountry camping outside of hunting and hippie season, so if we want to make an overnight trip at some point that is entirely feasible.

Here is the Yearling Trail:

Yearling Trail (5.3 mile loop)

The website I linked, FloridaHikes, is full of useful info.  The FWC and National Forest Service also often have information.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#23]
@RINO_Hunter
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Florida Trail and Yearling Trail loop are both easily accessible and located off Hwy 19 in the Ocala Ntl. Forest.

I am in the Bostwick area between Palatka and Green Cove, and these areas are maybe 30 minutes to an hour from me.

You can't carry long guns there because it is a wildlife preserve, but I personally like the pipe-on-a-rifle-sling idea.  If we go to the Ocala NF during hunting season, it would also be a good idea to wear an orange vest, though it is not required.  The ONF is divided into 4 areas, each with their own hunting seasons we'll need to be aware of, but it's pretty straightforward.

The ONF also allows true backcountry camping outside of hunting and hippie season, so if we want to make an overnight trip at some point that is entirely feasible.

https://floridahikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/FT-Yearling-Trail.jpg

The website I linked, FloridaHikes, is full of useful info.  The FWC and National Forest Service also often have information.
View Quote
Yearling through pats to hopkins plenty options in those grids.

And dont think theres hippy season.
Ive hiked sections this time of year to only have to scourge twigs for firewood because the rainbows have set up a commune camp.

Theres also lake George state forest and heart island.

Speaking of which.....
Im on a fire pit...sipping a drink..while the government drops hate on dirt a few miles away. Lol.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ive hiked sections this time of year to only have to scourge twigs for firewood because the rainbows have set up a commune camp.

Speaking of which.....
Im on a fire pit...sipping a drink..while the government drops hate on dirt a few miles away. Lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://floridahikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/FT-Yearling-Trail.jpg

Speaking of which.....
Awesome, sounds like there's a few of us with access to the ONF.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm interested.  I'm down in Miami, but ONF isn't too far a drive for an overnight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm interested.  I'm down in Miami, but ONF isn't too far a drive for an overnight.
View Quote
Depending on timeframe you can sit in passenger seat and have less excuses.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Miami and South Fl folks could do worse than choose the Florida Trail.  Trail head is on Loop Road, SR 94, off  US41, the Tamiami Trail.  I believe that is about 40 miles west of the Turnpike.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm in. Are we going to do the hikes like we did in Boy Scouts? Put the Fat/Old guy at the front to set the pace?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm in. Are we going to do the hikes like we did in Boy Scouts? Put the Fat/Old guy at the front to set the pace?
View Quote
You laugh, but yes.

You do not want me setting the pace, I march at a 4-5mph pace.  I love ruck marching.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#32]
In this area there are Rails-to-Trails paved trails along SR-100 from Keystone Heights to Palatka.  We could start at several points.  There is another trail from Gainesville to Hawthorne along SR 20. There are several others in Gainesville including the 6th Str Rail Trail (1.7 mi, which means up and back is 3.4 miles).

https://www.traillink.com/city/gainesville-fl-trails/

You can zoom in and out, look all over.  There's a ton of trails, with lengths.

John
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#33]
We are starting a group in pensacola area out to the time zone. I have 4 in the panhandle that will be doing this.

I'm also helping start a chapter in selma al as I spend a ton of time in both areas. Waiting to see how this fleshes out before we formally commit to a BB group even if we hold our people to the same standards.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In this area there are Rails-to-Trails paved trails along SR-100 from Keystone Heights to Palatka.  We could start at several points.  There is another trail from Gainesville to Hawthorne along SR 20. There are several others in Gainesville including the 6th Str Rail Trail (1.7 mi, which means up and back is 3.4 miles).

https://www.traillink.com/city/gainesville-fl-trails/

You can zoom in and out, look all over.  There's a ton of trails, with lengths.

John
View Quote
Real men, walk in sugar sand...up hill....and dream of the itchiness known as chiggers......rails for trails is for prius driving faggotchino drinking dave matthews fans j/k. Lol...
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:20:55 PM EDT
[#35]
In...I’m in Pompano Beach...have gear will travel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#36]
In...I’m in Pompano Beach...have gear will travel.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:51:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to be clear, I'm saying ONF is plenty close.  I just got back from Buck Lake yesterday afternoon.

To the extreme south,
The southern end of the FT in Big Cypress is a good hike when dry, but you need to be ready to do some wading after the rains show up.  This goes for the Long Pine Key trail in the everglades as well.

Further north,
The Arbuckle tract in Lake Wales Ridge has some nice spots and a decent trail network.  Be ready for sugar sand
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just to be clear, I'm saying ONF is plenty close.  I just got back from Buck Lake yesterday afternoon.

To the extreme south,
The southern end of the FT in Big Cypress is a good hike when dry, but you need to be ready to do some wading after the rains show up.  This goes for the Long Pine Key trail in the everglades as well.

Further north,
The Arbuckle tract in Lake Wales Ridge has some nice spots and a decent trail network.  Be ready for sugar sand
View Quote
I read that wrong. Ooops
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Any volusia /lake guys wanna do a teeth cutter Feb 16th at the bluffton rec area in the lake George state forest ?
Time of hike TBA.
Location is off SR40 right before the st.johns bridge in volusia cnty.
Roughly 28 miles west of ormond beach, 35 miles from deland.

There is a 2$ day fee at the parking/ rec area.
Theres a dock, grills, porta shitters and a camp area thats pretty cheap if anyone wants to camp the night prior. Last i checked its 10-17$ tax/fees etc.

Trail is easy, but tight and not long. Under 2 miles iirc, it can be wet depending on the weather.
For road hikes -
From the fee area on the river to the equestrian parking and back is two miles.
River to main gate and back is just over 5 miles. Using the main dirt road.
There is other roads as well. Which could be mapped out and provide some privacy if guys wear PCs and packs, most of these are closed to vehicle traffic.
This is  state forest/WMA area.

This wouldnt be part of the challenge unless attendees wanted it to be. More of a shake down.

goal is to meet, hike,network until the main ABB or regional areas are solidified?

But a location to keep in mind if theres no takers this time around.  I know its Valentine's weekend after all.

Bluffton
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Compiling the data in the thread so far, we have:

North Region

PENSACOLA
DamonSriv, +4, Group Leader
Oceans87

JACKSONVILLE
Katanasword
verticalgain
evlblkwpnz
DominicO
RayJaxShooter
cttb
rival904
mgwantob
BrowardMason
Blanco_Diablo
MauserMatt
RINO_Hunter
Inimicalone (will make the drive)

TALLAHASSEE
Miami_JBT
joker581
Bowhntr6pt

Central Region

GAINESVILLE
BoostKING
Iain
nowgrn4
kissfan
protus
M4Real
HAWK347
Inimicalone

ORLANDO
tcfla
leftytheking
swamp_fighter
IslandTimes
Onefast93z28
HiFlow
robertmegar
THEBAUMER
cavegeo
MrHold
Vinnland
PR361

TAMPA
CrazyIvan6115
cptmike223
Mavros
dneal33
BayEagle
firemedic2000
TheSurvivalist
lowdrag82
spartacus2002
vdab890
GreatPenetration
Doritodust
9mmCarbine
Signal_Zero
CZRider

South Region

MIAMI
davidr001
Hamiltbl2
japsw20
MoarCoffee
searchin4shacks
speeddemon11L
maximscorpio

PORT CHARLOTTE
Plank_Spanker
GRUMPY61
Yea-Right

Unassigned
Mannlicher
BillyDBerger
WE_BE_KILLING_UM
dickjames214

We can draw our region boundaries however it best fits, and combine/separate local chapters as necessary.  If you are new to the thread after this post, @leftytheking with your location of choice and I'll update as necessary.  If you're unassigned, let me know where you want to be.  Some people are between two groups.  The post below will @ everyone on this list so far for corrections/discussion.

Being in more than one group is perfectly fine, I'm just sorting the field right now.

I'll start working on a hiking locations list as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#41]
@DamonSriv @Katanasword @verticalgain @Miami_JBT @joker581 @BoostKING @Iain @nowgrn4 @tcfla @swamp_fighter @IslandTimes @Onefast93z28 @protus @HiFlow @robertmegar @THEBAUMER @cavegeo @MrHold @CrazyIvan6115 @cptmike223 @Mavros @dneal33 @BayEagle @firemedic2000 @TheSurvivalist @lowdrag82 @davidr001 @Hamiltbl2 @japsw20 @MoarCoffee @Yea-Right @Doritodust @speeddemon11L @Mannlicher @HAWK347 @BillyDBerger @PR361
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@DamonSriv @Katanasword @verticalgain @Miami_JBT @joker581 @BoostKING @Iain @nowgrn4 @tcfla @swamp_fighter @IslandTimes @Onefast93z28 @protus @HiFlow @robertmegar @THEBAUMER @cavegeo @MrHold @CrazyIvan6115 @cptmike223 @Mavros @dneal33 @BayEagle @firemedic2000 @TheSurvivalist @lowdrag82 @davidr001 @Hamiltbl2 @japsw20 @MoarCoffee @Yea-Right @Doritodust @speeddemon11L @Mannlicher @HAWK347 @BillyDBerger @PR361
View Quote
@leftytheking

You can only @ 5 people at a time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@leftytheking

You can only @ 5 people at a time.
View Quote
DANGIT

ETA: okay here's 5:

@speeddemon11L @Mannlicher @HAWK347 @BillyDBerger @PR361
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#44]
5 more:

@japsw20 @MoarCoffee @Yea-Right @Doritodust @davidr001
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Ya'll need better usernames

@dneal33 @BayEagle @firemedic2000 @TheSurvivalist @lowdrag82
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Seriously Arfcom

@cavegeo @MrHold @CrazyIvan6115 @cptmike223 @Mavros
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Dis is stupit

@Onefast93z28 @protus @HiFlow @robertmegar @THEBAUMER
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Another batch

@Iain @nowgrn4 @tcfla @swamp_fighter @IslandTimes
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Okay last one

@BoostKING @spartacus2002
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#50]
@leftytheking I'm in Pinellas County, Tampa Bay area
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top