Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2017 8:37:38 PM EDT
Well, I'm finally here settled into my house (Lake Nona area of Orlando)  and a new job. Boy, I'm going to miss being able to drive 30 minutes and start shooting/blowing up tannerite in the middle of the desert with nobody to bug me or care....
Been here for a month and getting bored. I think I'm gonna do some surf fishing this weekend - I haven't been able to get out much because I've been busy with the move and work. 

Anyway - I'm looking for a range that has at least 100 yards. From what I've been reading online, I don't think I want to join a private range - seems like too much of a hassle/rules. I like to shoot my loud/obnoxious AK's and it seems like private ranges are more for guys dressed in Khakis shooting skeet. I could be wrong, but all I'm only familiar with shooting with my own home made targets on state land and Ben Avery public range in Phoenix. Ben Avery has range nazi's, but they're not too bad.

Anyone have any recomendations on places to shoot (outdoor) within about an hour from me? 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You can look up ridge shooting range in lake wales. About 75 to 90 mins drive from you. Only rule is no tanerite or tracers. Most ranges will have that rule in FL, we have brush and as you may see in the news brush fires. Public ranges are awful here in central FL. Private and clubs are the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm at Boggy Creak & Narcoossee about a mile from Wawa and McDonalds (on the corner) and new to FL

I have not  had time or money to go shoot high power matches this seams the closest club to us to join

Keep your eye open for the BFL and if you want to meet up IM me

Brian
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#3]
As stated above, Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club. It's about 10 minutes from you, off Moss Park Rd. Private club only, quite the process to be able to join. I'm not far away and my parents are also in Lake Nona area. I wanted to join because I refuse to go to indoor ranges, but I work nights and won't ever be able to get to the required meetings.

Welcome to Orlando! I've lived here all my life except 1 year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Titusville rifle and pistol club is within an hour. http://titusvillegun.org/code/Home.aspx   You are not required to be a member to shoot there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Also check out here : https://www.scgaa.org/
Its one of the few places with a plinking range.
Although it does require a membership, the membership allows you to go anytime from sun up to sun down.
They have public day on the first Sunday of each month if you want to check it out.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies, I'll have to check some of those out. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a member at Seminole County Gun and Archery Association

It's a private range, members only except on public day once a month.

It is one of the few ranges that does not have RO's running the ranges.

Members shoot and run the ranges themselves, going hot and cold by mutual agreement.

I only shoot on week days and often have the range to myself, even though there are 700 members.

We have rifle out to 300, a 200 yard steel range, 50 meter pistol and a plinking range.

Full auto, quick draw and reactive targets ( Not tannerite) are allowed on the plinking range, which goes to about 40 yards.

I have a standing offer to take any Arfcommer as a guest to check it out.

ETA: I have lived here since 1960, and know of zero places you can just roll up and shoot. There is no BLM land here, State and federal lands are not open to shooting, and shooting on private land is by written permission only, good luck with that.

Your options are buy your own land, befriend someone who has land and will let you shoot on it, go to public ranges, or join a private club.

Serious shooters here join a club.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Full auto, quick draw and reactive targets ( Not tannerite) are allowed on the plinking range, which goes to about 40 yards.
View Quote
Do you have a link to any documents pertaining to quick draw and the definition of reactive targets?

I was told only slow draw.
As far as reactive targets I was told only those for .22 were allowed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#9]
No  I do not. I've always understood it to be that way, but truthfully, I never practice quick draw.

And by reactive targets, I mean things that break and move as opposed to paper.

I routinely shoot clay birds, cans, jugs full of water, golfballs, melons, anything but glass on the plinking range with Pistols, 9mm carbines, ARs and AKs.

They must be placed on the mound, or on a holder that aligns the rounds to impact the mound. Which is pretty easy, the plinking range has the tallest backstops.

Just gotta clean up the mess when you are done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top