Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2017 12:10:44 PM EDT
So I have been wanting to buy land for a long time and my wife and I have been looking here and there.  Originally we were looking in North Carolina and Georgia as that is what we had preferred (climate, topography etc).  However seeing that we live and work in South Florida we thought we would start looking in earnest in North Florida.  Reason being is we will be able to enjoy it a lot more frequently as driving from South Florida to Northern Florida is a lot more manageable.  So was looking for any advice in purchasing land in Northern Florida, especially from those that live up there.  You know what to look for, what to avoid etc.

We are looking for a retreat for our family (my wife and I, 2 kids and 2 dogs).  Now I would prefer mainly wooded with more than 10 acres (the more the merrier except until it costs my wallet too much lol, not trying to go overboard).  It doesn't have to have anything built on it yet as I have no problem having a small cabin dropped on it and would like to have well and septic.  I would also like to have the place to hunt as well.  Some type of water would be great, whether it be a pond or a river, creek etc.  It would just be a place that we can run off to get away and enjoy it, for me to hunt and also develop over time (ie put a nice size cabin on to enjoy), who knows maybe we will eventually just move to it lol.

Currently we were looking around the town of Mariana.  Hoping in the next month or two to go up for a week and take a look around.  We have already been looking on sites like LandWatch as well as reaching out to some realtors that we found on that site.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a get-away place with minimal drive, I'd look hard at northeast/north central Florida.

Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton, Taylor, Suwannee, Dixie, Levy, Union, Bradford, Columbia and Baker counties might interest you.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny you should mention it.  I have just starting talking to a guy based out of Madison.  He just sent me a list of properties for me to take a look at.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny you should mention it.  I have just starting talking to a guy based out of Madison.  He just sent me a list of properties for me to take a look at.
View Quote

I have 63 acres off the beaten path in Jefferson county... love it there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice I will have to take a look around Central.  From what I have seen, it just seems the farther north the more the price drops.  Saw some nice tracts online around Mariana that we inquired about.  Really liked those but the areas you recommended would put us a little closer and a little bit less of a drive.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
A dilapidated single wide on the property usually indicates a well, septic, and electric.  That can save some permitting and big bucks when you drop your cabin on the land.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A dilapidated single wide on the property usually indicates a well, septic, and electric.  That can save some permitting and big bucks when you drop your cabin on the land.
View Quote

Good point, a septic, well and permitting cost me a pretty penny when I bought my plot, this is assuming there is power available.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Good point, a septic, well and permitting cost me a pretty penny when I bought my plot, this is assuming there is power available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup good point.  May want to look at properties that already have it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Look north of Silver Springs or Ocala as well.  Ft. McCoy, Sparr And Eureka for example are little towns/intersections surrounded by lots of land.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You do have a nice piece of property up there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You do have a nice piece of property up there.
View Quote
It makes me jelly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]
going to look at land next weekend.  Also need to check banks to mortgage the property.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
My cousin purchased a 84 acre woodland and one of my uncle has 40 acres near Monticello, FL.  My uncle lives on his property full time for past 10 years.  My cousin lives in South Miami and purchased the property with idea of using for recreations with his family.  From his house to the property is 7+ hour drive and with 2 kids it usually takes about 8 hours.  In past the first few years they would go up 3 or 4 times a year but in last 3 years he's only been up there once.  That 7+ hour drives gets old after first few years.  

I got a small 20 acre wooded land out in middle of nowhere but it's 2 hours from my house in Ft. Lauderdale so I go up almost every weekend and sometimes twice in a week.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It makes me jelly.
View Quote
You guys are welcome anytime...
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You guys are welcome anytime...
View Quote
I hunt with a friend that has just over sixty acres in Jasper - that is a gorgeous part of Florida.

Would like to find out more about he area and what you have - would love to get a place to hunt my own deer.

Thanks,

Red
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hunt with a friend that has just over sixty acres in Jasper - that is a gorgeous part of Florida.

Would like to find out more about he area and what you have - would love to get a place to hunt my own deer.

Thanks,

Red
View Quote
I have 63 acres in Aucilla, which is 9 miles east of Monticello. What makes it good is I'm surrounded by @3500 acres of a mix of planted pines, low bottom swamp, and high ground with hard woods. The Aucilla river is about a mile east of me.

A fair portion of the 3500 acres are leased for hunting by guys from south and central Florida. While there is not a considerable amount of hunting pressure, they shoot anything legal. I've asked them if they would partner with us to practice QDM but at least they were honest and said no.

Despite all that, we kill nice deer every year. My brother has killed a 200+ pound 10-pt the last two seasons and some years back my son killed a nice 10-pt. A few years ago I got a 198 pound 6-pt so the genetics and resources are there for nice deer if the guys around us would help... but you can't QDM 63 acres so if it's nice, I will seriously consider taking it despite antler size. Many of the guys who come to my classes say "hey, there are deer up at your gate when I came in"... or... "hey when I left last night after class there were a bunch of deer in your driveway". So the constant shooting had not effected the deer at all.  

My brothers and I have spent the last ten years planting several different type of hard woods which are now producing lots of acorns. We have hundreds of nice acorn bearing trees now to go with the food plots and feeders.

Another nice thing is I have my own place to shoot and I can get out to an honest 510 yards. Night shoot, mag dumps, full auto, etc. no one around to bitch.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My cousin purchased a 84 acre woodland and one of my uncle has 40 acres near Monticello, FL.  My uncle lives on his property full time for past 10 years.  My cousin lives in South Miami and purchased the property with idea of using for recreations with his family.  From his house to the property is 7+ hour drive and with 2 kids it usually takes about 8 hours.  In past the first few years they would go up 3 or 4 times a year but in last 3 years he's only been up there once.  That 7+ hour drives gets old after first few years.  

I got a small 20 acre wooded land out in middle of nowhere but it's 2 hours from my house in Ft. Lauderdale so I go up almost every weekend and sometimes twice in a week.
View Quote
What area did you buy in?  I live near Fort Lauderdale.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#17]
West Ft. Myers.
Exactly 2 hours and 5 minutes from my driveway in west Broward to the gate at my property.  Only 4 or 5 full time residence within a mile and population expands by about 8 on weekends.  No paved roads or garbage pick up but lots of hogs, deer, turkey, small games, etc. on property.  Just built second shooting range/berm and dug a pond on it.  Working on a hunting camp now.
Price of my 20 acres would get you 80+ up in North FL but I get to enjoy it a lot more.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
West Ft. Myers.
Exactly 2 hours and 5 minutes from my driveway in west Broward to the gate at my property.  Only 4 or 5 full time residence within a mile and population expands by about 8 on weekends.  No paved roads or garbage pick up but lots of hogs, deer, turkey, small games, etc. on property.  Just built second shooting range/berm and dug a pond on it.  Working on a hunting camp now.
Price of my 20 acres would get you 80+ up in North FL but I get to enjoy it a lot more.
View Quote
Yh a lot of what I have been looking at is 40-70 acres and roughly $70k-$140k depending.  Would be nice to be so close though lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top