Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2017 8:21:21 PM EDT
My wife would like to take a drive up to The Kennedy Space Center.

How many days would we need to see it all; or would 1 day be enough?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
One day may be enough. Last time I went was with family from out of state about 12 years ago though,  a lot of new things since then like Atlantis exhibit and I think there is a shuttle simulation also. If you plan for 2 days and do it in one, the astronauts hall of fame (I don't believe it is part of the ksc visitor center) and the policeman hall of fame are about a half mile before the visitors center and could be worth the extra day if you like that kind of stuff.
Policeman hall of fame also has an indoor range and pro shop. They used to have competitions on certain evenings but again I haven't been there in even longer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]
There is an astronauts hall of fame in the visitor complex that opened in Nov. 

The family and I went last fall for a day and couldn't get everything done so we ended up with passes. 2 days to do everything and maybe even three if you want to get to really look at everything.

Atlantis exhibit is awesome, and the launch simulator in there is great! The 5 year old loves to ride it over and over.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm 40 the center I knew has been gone for several years I won't even walk through the rocket garden because the admission is insane.

Both the space center & Mount Rushmore have become government funded fronts for cherry y picked private companies to  rob patriotic Americans

$11 bucks to park at Rushmore it goes to the company that owns the garage while weam still paying to keep the area beautiful through the NPS
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the NASA launch schedule if you want to see a rocket. It looks like they have a launch scheduled at Cape Canaveral on the 19th.

https://www.nasa.gov/launchschedule/
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
After working at KSC for over 20 years, I have zero desire to go to the tourist rap and given the cost of tickets, the Visitors Center can fuck itself with a cactus.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Although we've been to Florida many times, and pretty much done all of the tourist traps to death, last year was the first time we visited KSC.

I have to say, unashamedly, that we found it a special experience.
The entire day passed in a flash, and we didn't take in everything that we hoped to.
Certainly, it is set up to make money and the commercial implications of this are visible throughout, but the subject matter is brought so vividly to life that even an old cynic like me was completely captivated.

A must see from my perspective!
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Although we've been to Florida many times, and pretty much done all of the tourist traps to death, last year was the first time we visited KSC.

I have to say, unashamedly, that we found it a special experience.
The entire day passed in a flash, and we didn't take in everything that we hoped to.
Certainly, it is set up to make money and the commercial implications of this are visible throughout, but the subject matter is brought so vividly to life that even an old cynic like me was completely captivated.

A must see from my perspective!
View Quote

I just returned yesterday after a 2 day stay and my experience mirrors yours.

The NASA Visitors Center is operated under contract by a company called Delaware North and they do a fantastic job of running the place on the behalf of NASA.

Every single employee that my wife and I had contact with was ultra friendly, helpful and professional and I was impressed with that.

The place was spotless too, and each and every exhibit was in working order.

The KSC visitor center isn't intended to be a money maker, but rather it's supposed to be financially self sufficient and yes, it's an expensive operation.

It cost me $160, including tax, bus tour of the actual launch facitilities and  free parking, for two Multi day passes which are good for a year and which covered everything we did except for lunch.

The concession type food was very reasonably priced, probably at NASA's insistence under the terms of the operating contract.

Compared to some bullshit theme park, NASA's Kennedy Space Visitor Center is a huge bargain; and it's awe inspiring as well.

ETA: naturally since its a NASA installation, carrying is prohibited and you do walk through metal detectors on the way in.

Yeah, I left my gun in the car, but I totally forgot about my Benchmade AutoStryker.

When I emptied my pockets of change and placed my wallet and watch into the blue rubber tub they hand you, I threw my knife iside my wallet and under the pile, and placed my camera bag on top of everything.

While I engaged her in pleasantries, the lady at the gate took a quick peek into the tub and my camera bag and I was through the gate.

I'm not sure whether or not the knife was spotted but the following day it remained in the car.

Just remember; you'll be passing through a metal detector.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top