Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2015 10:00:19 AM EDT
Aren't you getting tired of the growing season yet?

Between the mowing, trees, horticultural plants and weeds,
I am ready for the slow down.

FTS                                      

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Takes me 2 hours and 45 minutes.  That's with out blowing or weeding ...
Just cut and weed whacking.
I push mow as well....but the last few mows I've been wishing I had a rider LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell, I can't get the moss & limbs cleaned up long enough to mow it. I end up getting it all picked up and start mowing at 10PM before it's covered up again. Forget edging, and trimming and pruning. I just try to keep it beat back enough so I can see the armadillos and the hawks can get the snakes. Pretty soon the sweetgum balls will be falling, that's a whole other hell.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My problem is that it has been raining every damn time I get a break and consequently, am only able to mow it every week and a half to two weeks. It's hell.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, not getting tired of it, writing the check to the lawn company is easy...............
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My problem is that it has been raining every damn time I get a break and consequently, am only able to mow it every week and a half to two weeks. It's hell.
View Quote

Or stuck doing it on a weekend when...for some reason it doesn't rain.....
But damn sure enough 6pm on a week day after work....rain.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nope, not getting tired of it, writing the check to the lawn company is easy...............
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I gave my rider to my mom so she doesn't have to push, which leaves me pushing my yard. My yard isn't huge (takes about 45 minutes) but right now with the rain it never dries out. The chute design on my mower (Huskvarna from Lowes) is absolute shit. The grass gets balled up and stuck in the chute when it's even a tiny bit damp. I have to pull the grass out for it to even run after about 20 feet, makes for a lot of starting and stopping. I normally mulch but unless I mowed ever other day, it just gets too tall right now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

makes my carpal tunnel syndrome hurt sometimes though

for what they charge i wouldn't even consider doing it myself, now if they tripled the price i might google search for the competition.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

for what they charge i wouldn't even consider doing it myself, now if they tripled the price i might google search for the competition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much what these two said. Do you realize how hot it is outside?!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not me, had bi-lateral carpal release back in 1992.  Yup both wrists done at the same time.  Good thing we had brown carpet back then.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

102 the other morning at 8am on the lake

been cooler (90's) the past couple days, i haven't even look at the thermometer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not me, had bi-lateral carpal release back in 1992.  Yup both wrists done at the same time.  Good thing we had brown carpet back then.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i had a friend who had the wrists done a couple years ago, holy shit he looked like frankenstein. huge cuts, he is a mechanic and was out of work for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a part time job on 350 acres of never ending grass/trees/weeds and such. I rode the weed eater for 3 1/2 hours today. We have 1 tractor/bush hog, 1 zero turn and 2 weed eaters - for 350 acres.....HaHa. Do you think I mow my little 1/3 acre? Nope. But a nice cracker does it for 55.00/month. Cut/blow/edge/weed/fertilize. Yup - I like to come home and see a fresh cut - no problem with that price. He does great work - I have not used the almost new Toro in a while.

Not a great picture - but you get the idea of how much work this guy does for a paltry 55.00

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
If I could get it done for that, I would be paying. The last guy wanted 250/mo for my 1/4 acre which he did with a 60 inch zero turn that didn't do as good a job as a push mower.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I could get it done for that, I would be paying. The last guy wanted 250/mo for my 1/4 acre which he did with a 60 inch zero turn that didn't do as good a job as a push mower.
View Quote

250? HaHa - I would go grab the Toro out of the shed and upgrade my Goldwing for that money.......

To be fair - my guy has 6 homes right on my street. He parks the truck/trailer in front of my place and they go to work. 6 homes in about 2 1/2 hours. He saves a ton of money not having to drive all over town - paying his guys by the hour to ride in the truck...most of his accounts are that way. Once neighbors find out about his price/work ethic - he picks up more and more on the same street.

My neighbor has his wife borrow a rider from another guy down the street and she mows the place. Whatever.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Keep on growing!!!!

(works for a lawnmower blade manufacture.)
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Keep on growing!!!!

View Quote

Advice on a good mulching blade?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

250? HaHa - I would go grab the Toro out of the shed and upgrade my Goldwing for that money.......

To be fair - my guy has 6 homes right on my street. He parks the truck/trailer in front of my place and they go to work. 6 homes in about 2 1/2 hours. He saves a ton of money not having to drive all over town - paying his guys by the hour to ride in the truck...most of his accounts are that way. Once neighbors find out about his price/work ethic - he picks up more and more on the same street.

My neighbor has his wife borrow a rider from another guy down the street and she mows the place. Whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i never thought of telling the wife to do it, this thread just may save me money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Back before I retired I had a lawn service but now with time on my hands I mow both my places. With the lawn service I had more weeds than you can shake a stick at. Sandspurs, dollar weed, nut grass and wandering jew just to name a few. I honestly think the lawn service was contaminating my turf with nasty weeds from other yards. I have it lookin' so great again now that I'm waitin' for Southern Living to show up for a photo shoot.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hell, I can't get the moss & limbs cleaned up long enough to mow it. I end up getting it all picked up and start mowing at 10PM before it's covered up again. Forget edging, and trimming and pruning. I just try to keep it beat back enough so I can see the armadillos and the hawks can get the snakes. Pretty soon the sweetgum balls will be falling, that's a whole other hell.
View Quote

Yep, and then add a ton of hickory nuts to the pile...............one pass gets those damn cats movin tho!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mexican changes me $25.  I ain't cutting my shit when for $25 someone else will do it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep on growing!!!!

Brand of Mower?

Width of cut?

Type of grass you wish to mulch?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My wife writes the check so there is not even any discomfort for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife writes the check so there is not even any discomfort for me.

see my reply to a post above, one day when i decide i know longer want dinner or sex i may suggest mine just start cutting the grass
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Brand of Mower?

Width of cut?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep on growing!!!!

Brand of Mower?

Width of cut?

Mower is a Husqvarna push mower 22" Honda 160 engine
Grass: Front yard is Bermuda/Floratam mix. back yard is Bahia (real PITA)
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep on growing!!!!

Brand of Mower?

Width of cut?

Without the model number for that machine, is your blade a 5 point star where it fits the blade adaptor or a round hole with two smaller holes on either side of the center hole?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I wait about a week or week and a half past when I probably "should" mow it.

Gonna have to be done again this weekend...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

i had a friend who had the wrists done a couple years ago, holy shit he looked like frankenstein. huge cuts, he is a mechanic and was out of work for awhile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a great doc, can barely see any scar. I have seen some that were holy shit that is nasty....
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Without the model number for that machine, is your blade a 5 point star where it fits the blade adaptor or a round hole with two smaller holes on either side of the center hole?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep on growing!!!!

Brand of Mower?

Width of cut?

5 point start
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Back before I retired I had a lawn service but now with time on my hands I mow both my places. With the lawn service I had more weeds than you can shake a stick at. Sandspurs, dollar weed, nut grass and wandering jew just to name a few. I honestly think the lawn service was contaminating my turf with nasty weeds from other yards. I have it lookin' so great again now that I'm waitin' for Southern Living to show up for a photo shoot.

View Quote

That is a problem a lot of people don't realize.  Cross contamination of lawns can happen if the cutter doesn't blow off his machine.  

I bought a rider ten years ago and knock my 1/3 acre out in 40 minutes (edge, mow and blow) during the not so hot mid morning (0830).  Maybe when I retire from my day job in a couple of years I will start cutting some of the neighbors yards.  We had a guy that did that, but he hung that up when his health went south due to smoking.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#33]
snip

If you don't mind giving up a little cutting width, find a mower shop that sells Rotary Blades and ask for item number 6422.

This is the OEM mulching blade also known as a 3 in 1. Item number 12563.

Remember the key to mulching is Higher, slower ground speed and mow more often.

Scratch that...we just released a new one that works better  Rotary Item 13024.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll be filling a cooler with refreshing beverages and taking the multi hour mower ride this afternoon. That is if the rain holds off long enough.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#35]
double.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:31:48 PM EDT
[#36]
My family uses a lawn maintenance company who does our yard, trees, weeds and garden. They use push lawn mower for the St.Augustine grass on the front and sides on the highest setting and they also use it on the back as well. I had to get on one of their cases about using the weed eater in the garden I'm like dude don't do that there wasn't any weeds in there and sad thing my neighbor next door planted those flowers in the garden the day before. Boy my mother was .......
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:48:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I had a lawn guy for a couple years... he would mow my 1/4 acre yard (front and back), weed-eat some, and blow the driveway and porch off for $10 a week.

Best I can figure, dude must've had a rough home life and just enjoyed time away from his wife or something.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Thank you Baumer!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thank you Baumer!
View Quote

NO problem, hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I do, I almost fall out every time I mow the dam yard. With all this rain lately I have only been able to know about every week and a half and one pass around the yard I have to empty the fckin bag.  I need to find a lawn service and sell my lawn equipment and buy more guns!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yeah I do, I almost fall out every time I mow the dam yard. With all this rain lately I have only been able to know about every week and a half and one pass around the yard I have to empty the fckin bag.  I need to find a lawn service and sell my lawn equipment and buy more guns!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are in my area? I know a guy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#42]
$50 per month, every month, and I don't have to do crap.  Of course my front and back yard combined are maybe 1/8 of acre, but I would pay even double that if I had to.  Heat + humidity + mowing is not my thing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

get a rider.

picked up a craigs list 14 hp mtd buddy did some work to it, and I use it to mow the lawn. unless you like using a walk behind you'll never want to use a walk behind again.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Aren't you getting tired of the growing season yet?

Between the mowing, trees, horticultural plants and weeds,
I am ready for the slow down.

FTS                                      

View Quote

I got a tractor this year and I bought a new weed whacker a 40v attachment capable ryobi which is AWESOME. i buzz the lawn in 25 minutes on the tractor.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

get a rider.

picked up a craigs list 14 hp mtd buddy did some work to it, and I use it to mow the lawn. unless you like using a walk behind you'll never want to use a walk behind again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

get a rider.

I have a rider she had half of it mowed by the tine I got off work the other day...I did the other half last night.

Plus...you know me enough that I'm to stubborn to do things like this the easy way. I could've got my dads rider but let my brother have it.
But so far this summer...I kinda dislike this mower.
My old kree 28inch deck was awesome...till the stupid coil went on the motor...and its a hack job installed Deere 13s

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I'll have to ask the wife, I let her start doing it four years ago and i have never looked back. I have however had to change numerous plugs because she can't remember the 2 stroke is in yellow cans and regular is in the red. I have also had to change mowers because of her running it without oil. Now if i could just get her to do the dern maintenance properly I would be GOOOOOD  I wonder if she does gun cleaning hmmmm
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'll have to ask the wife, I let her start doing it four years ago and i have never looked back. I have however had to change numerous plugs because she can't remember the 2 stroke is in yellow cans and regular is in the red. I have also had to change mowers because of her running it without oil. Now if i could just get her to do the dern maintenance properly I would be GOOOOOD  I wonder if she does gun cleaning hmmmm
View Quote

buy her the ego 56 volt mower and trimmer. You'll spend $700 but she'll never have these issues again.

I got the ryobi brushless 40v trimmer and I love it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I own a lovely 21" Honda that my 18 yr old son hates...lol  Figured it's a great way to get him to aspire to a new level of academic learning or gtfo.  But he mow's every week, week in and week out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top