Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2013 2:18:11 AM EDT

Another of my questions regarding my upcoming jaunt South.

As a military retiree, does Florida tax your retirement (mil).

I know a lot of websites say "after 65" or such, but I'm only 47 and am wondering if they tax it now?

Kongo

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 3:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
No income tax in FL including from retirement.  Can't speak for what the Fed's do with early retirement funds but since it is a source of income you should be fine in this state.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I've llived in Florida since '93 (except for a two-year stint in Virginia) and can attest that FL is very friendly to the military retiree.  It has no state income tax (for anyone) and many, many places offer a military discount, even if "military" is retired military.  There are lots of military installations, so you can use them for shopping, golf, medical, etc, if needed.  However, forget stateside rod and gun clubs or using military ranges -- almost non-existent in Florida.  If you are disabled (VA) then you get a number of other benefits.  For example, partial disability gives you a small (I think $5k additional homestead exemption on real estate taxes), but that ranges up to 100% exemption if you are drawing 100% VA disability.  You might want to contact the MacDill AFB Military Ritree Affairs guy.  Not sure of the number, but you can look here:  Link
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your Service Kongo!  Pony up a buck and get a blue Veteran's "V" printed on your drivers license too.
http://www.flhsmv.gov/news/pdfs/PR071211veterans.pdf
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes  Kongo you can use military ranges and fishing clubs , boat rentals etc......Try Eglin AFB for fishing  and Hurbert Field AFB for shooting  and of course for fishing I will goto the pier  at Pensacola  open during weekends or when ever the that bird of prey is not docked...The LCS that is....Check each bases MWR you will find alot of hunting and fishing here but you must get the tags etc from places like Walmart etc.....Go online for more info....Hell if you move to the state of Florida go to the BX at most Army or Air Force Bases and buy a fire arm or order one at Eglin AFB etc but not the Navy Bases they have too many A schoolers so no firearms on base...Just go to the BX and get the base info from the folks that make the guides for space A travel...They have the P.O.C. for nearly every base execpt for those in the stans....Some military bases her allow hunting to keep birds etc from running into aircraft around here and every where...Check with each base...Eglin has alot of ranges but some are not open to the public but some are.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#5]

I'll be over near the Patrick AFB area in Melbourne.  

Bit of a haul for Eglin but I know the missus will want to go to P-cola sometimes!

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, just a couple quick notes:

Florida Military Gold Sportsman's Lic is $20.
Show your military ID at any Lowes and get a 10% discount, all the time, anytime.

Retired, USAF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top