Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2011 7:17:31 AM EDT
Anyone heard this as well?

ETA:  Just called.  Lady on the phone said Thursday the 17th is their last day.

Rumor is Shoot Straight bought them out.  Lady on the phone said she wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The opinion has been established in this locked thread. Is it fall yet for the next installment?

And with that, we end this segment of the ongoing saga - 'Why Shoot Straight Sucks'.

Stay tuned this Fall for the next installment.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_10/462485__ARCHIVED_THREAD____What_is_wrong_with_shoot_straight_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Knight's was always packed, I wonder why they would be closing? They had to make decent money. That place had some issues but I really appreciated that there weren't any idiotic rules like most other ranges have. I didn't have to worry about "russian ammo" or mag capacity or "rapid fire".
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Well from what my friend at work said they're carting out everything in the store.  So for some people it's just one less range they can got to.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in there a couple weeks ago and they hardly had any stock and looked like a ghost town.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in there this past sunday and no one said anything about closing , did strike me as strange that they sold a lot of their rental guns to the employees, thats all i have heard.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It is True Shoot Straight has taken ownership. The business was owned by the bank for the past month or 2 and they will be closing for a month or 2 for renovations. Most of the rifle lanes are down but if they keep the same staff it will be okay.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless the staff is all young men i don't think they will stay Wait did i really just say that in public
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Its true, i bought a couple of rental guns. My understanding
is it will be closed for 3 months for remodeling
Then it will be a shoot straiight.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I went in today to get some range time in, all I have to say is wow, the store was a ghost town. They had only a few guns left for sale and some small stuff for sale. Did get some free range time.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#10]
So did the construction on 19 kill the business or some other factors? Use to be busy every time I went in.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Shoot straight has been trying to buy the place for at least a year. He bought from the bank via auction. He was the only bidder.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm, not heard this yet. Sorry to hear this abouts knights.
Good that SS will be keeping the place open, bad that SS is slowly gaining control of everything around here. The gun prices  in SS are really outrageous, won't be long and SS will be the only place to shoot and you know what happens then, higher prices. They put a good outdoor range in Hillsbourough county out of business not so long ago.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#13]
shoot straight is a fucking cancer....

eta guess charlie will have to find somewhere else to scrounge brass....
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#14]
They are CLOSED as of 2 PM today So anyone planning on going there save yourself a trip & Try to find another range else where.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hmmm, not heard this yet. Sorry to hear this abouts knights.
Good that SS will be keeping the place open, bad that SS is slowly gaining control of everything around here. The gun prices  in SS are really outrageous, won't be long and SS will be the only place to shoot and you know what happens then, higher prices. They put a good outdoor range in Hillsbourough county out of business not so long ago.

What outdoor range was there in Hillsborough??
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#16]
The shoot shack off county 39 near Lithia, it's archery only now. He had a decent 100 yrd range and had put in a carbine course. He had to close the range down about 1 1/2 yrs ago I believe.
I went out one Saturday to shoot and no range. A few weeks later I was in a Brandon gun shop and asked the owner of the shop if he had any idea what had happened. I was told SS and another large  company  (which I prefer not to name) that owns most of the land in the area and  West Central Florida had the shoot shack shut down because of objections from SS. I believe SS and the other company had the state and or county involed in this. This is just what I was told, I have never talked to the former range owner.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn that sucks...was just going to head over there today to shoot a little.  What does Shoot Straight usually charge for range time?  Hopefully they won't jack the prices through the roof.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Depends if you are a member, I think it is $15 per hour for non member.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I just went to their site and saw their range fees.  Do they offer EMS discounts like Knights?  Damn and I was contemplating buying a membership at Knights a few months ago.  Thankfully I held off.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I thought it was shitty they were selling annual memberships again knowing they were going down soon. I'm no shoot straight fan but he didn't kill them they ran themselves out of business.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
there weren't any idiotic rules like most other ranges have. I didn't have to worry about "russian ammo" or mag capacity or "rapid fire".

I HATE going there except for what you mentioned. That was it's only saving grace!

Everything was overpriced, the ammo, accessories, firearms and for the most part, range time. And $50 for FFL transfers The range officers are typically clown shoes.

I never see anyone in there shopping for anything, the firearm and ammo selection went really far down hill a few years back. They didn't have any .308 or 7.62 last time I went in there and ran out of rifle ammo.

If shoot straight bought it, is it that hadji dude on the Sequay?
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes its segway guy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool! Maybe they will outfit some segways with some FA's mounted on the handlebars and rent them out at the range.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes its segway guy.

I will never step foot in that establishment again!
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So did the construction on 19 kill the business or some other factors? Use to be busy every time I went in.

I'm sure the owner's retarded / asshole son had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I was hoping this was the "Knight's Trail Range" in venice.

Fuck those fudd dickheads.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#27]
The demise and eventual transfer of ownership to the bank started a couple of years ago. It was destine to happen concidering the ownership situation there. It is what it is..... Now SS ownes it and we will all see how it pans out in the end. Personally, I might use the range, I will NOT buy anything else there. Their gunshow antics has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Their gunshow antics has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

That is my same beef with them. Hello Wyoming Antelope club
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Is this another thread where I get to say FUCK YOU to Shoot Straight?

Fuck You shoot Straight.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
there weren't any idiotic rules like most other ranges have. I didn't have to worry about "russian ammo" or mag capacity or "rapid fire".

I HATE going there except for what you mentioned. That was it's only saving grace!

Everything was overpriced, the ammo, accessories, firearms and for the most part, range time. And $50 for FFL transfers The range officers are typically clown shoes.

I never see anyone in there shopping for anything, the firearm and ammo selection went really far down hill a few years back. They didn't have any .308 or 7.62 last time I went in there and ran out of rifle ammo.

If shoot straight bought it, is it that hadji dude on the Sequay?

I never had any problems with the RO's, but I agree that their retail prices were retarded. I've never been to a range (or gun shop for that matter)  that had reasonable prices on merchandise though, that's why I always bring all the ammo I am going to shoot anyway and try not to buy anything if I can help it.

If Shoot Straight has a bunch of stupid rules I will never even shoot there once. Nonsensical rules are the reason I am not a member of the Wyoming Antelope Club either. Looks like I'll be driving up to the in-laws property to do my shooting for a while.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Does Shoot Straight still demand to see an ID if you are buying anything (I mean anything like cleaning rods and stupid shit)? I went there a year ago to buy a cleaning rod. The clown behind the counter would not sell me the cleaning rod with seeing my ID. I told him I was a cash customer and didn't feel he needed to see it. He refused to change his mind so I walked out. Screw those clowns... I haven't gone in there since.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The shoot shack off county 39 near Lithia, it's archery only now. He had a decent 100 yrd range and had put in a carbine course. He had to close the range down about 1 1/2 yrs ago I believe.
I went out one Saturday to shoot and no range. A few weeks later I was in a Brandon gun shop and asked the owner of the shop if he had any idea what had happened. I was told SS and another large  company  (which I prefer not to name) that owns most of the land in the area and  West Central Florida had the shoot shack shut down because of objections from SS. I believe SS and the other company had the state and or county involed in this. This is just what I was told, I have never talked to the former range owner.

That place closed down because of phosphate mining going on in the area, not because of any pressure from other ranges in the area...and that answer came directly from the Shooting Shack.  Somehow I can't possibly think of a reason why another shop in competition with SS would want to pin the blame onto them for something like that...nope can't think of any reason at all.    But hey, why not pile on?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Does Shoot Straight still demand to see an ID if you are buying anything (I mean anything like cleaning rods and stupid shit)? I went there a year ago to buy a cleaning rod. The clown behind the counter would not sell me the cleaning rod with seeing my ID. I told him I was a cash customer and didn't feel he needed to see it. He refused to change his mind so I walked out. Screw those clowns... I haven't gone in there since.

I've bought plenty of things there, and the only things they require ID for are gun purchases...they'll ask for ID if you're a new customer, but if you refuse they'll go ahead and sell to you anyways.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I never had any problems with the RO's, but I agree that their retail prices were retarded. I've never been to a range (or gun shop for that matter)  that had reasonable prices on merchandise though, that's why I always bring all the ammo I am going to shoot anyway and try not to buy anything if I can help it.

If Shoot Straight has a bunch of stupid rules I will never even shoot there once. Nonsensical rules are the reason I am not a member of the Wyoming Antelope Club either. Looks like I'll be driving up to the in-laws property to do my shooting for a while.

I never really had a problem per se, just their holier than thou attitudes and the way they talked to everyone like they were retards...

Can I come to the in-laws too?!
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've bought plenty of things there, and the only things they require ID for are gun purchases...they'll ask for ID if you're a new customer, but if you refuse they'll go ahead and sell to you anyways.

Not to me. I asked for a manager. The manager came over and refused to sell me the cleaning rod without seeing my ID. I would have been a new customer.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I am retired from pissing matches on ARFCOM, but I'll jump in on this one.

I did the gunshow circuit for about 2.5 years with a couple of other Afcommers. Shoot Straight was always there. I got along fine with Kalid. He treated me with respect every time I ever talked to him. That being said, I have also seen him be an ass.

You could typically get the best price on new guns from them. I bought a Benelli 12 ga. from them and I told him what the cheapest price at the show was, and he beat it by $20. I bought a couple of other guns from them, and believe me, I could shop weekend after weekend until I found the best price.

That being said, I have never even stepped foot into their store in Ft. Myers. I pass it at least 2-3 times a week, but then I never go to any local gun shop. Prices are way better online, used, or at the gunshow. That goes for weapons, ammo, or accessories.

As for them being asshats, I have found that that malady is common in most(not all) gun shops. There is a local gun shop that has been around here for years. The owner(70 years old or so) has been a dick every time I went there. I went there once 4-5 years ago when I was looking for a DW cbob. When I asked if they had such a weapon, his reply was "what magazine did you see that in?" Any question you had about a weapon, he would reply, "well , when you pull the trigger, it goes bang".

So I really think that SS is not that different that any other business. Good and bad points, and for Pete's sake, don't hate them for being successful.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Another decent place is being taken over? I will never go there again either
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I did the gunshow circuit for about 2.5 years with a couple of other Afcommers. Shoot Straight was always there. I got along fine with Kalid. He treated me with respect every time I ever talked to him. That being said, I have also seen him be an ass.
You could typically get the best price on new guns from them. I bought a Benelli 12 ga. from them and I told him what the cheapest price at the show was, and he beat it by $20. I bought a couple of other guns from them, and believe me, I could shop weekend after weekend until I found the best price.
That being said, I have never even stepped foot into their store in Ft. Myers. I pass it at least 2-3 times a week, but then I never go to any local gun shop. Prices are way better online, used, or at the gunshow. That goes for weapons, ammo, or accessories.
As for them being asshats, I have found that that malady is common in most(not all) gun shops. There is a local gun shop that has been around here for years. The owner(70 years old or so) has been a dick every time I went there. I went there once 4-5 years ago when I was looking for a DW cbob. When I asked if they had such a weapon, his reply was "what magazine did you see that in?" Any question you had about a weapon, he would reply, "well , when you pull the trigger, it goes bang".

So I really think that SS is not that different that any other business. Good and bad points, and for Pete's sake, don't hate them for being successful.

I could not agree with you more.  My feeling is if they come in and dress up Knights and keep more stock than I am all for it.  I never felt compelled to buy anything at Knights.  But we could definitely use some better gun shops in this area.  I went out on a quick ammo run last week.  Wanted to try out Hornady TAP 75gr loads in my PredatAR...finally found 2 boxes in the 3rd shop that I went to.  The first shop didn't have any 223 over 55gr.  The second only had Fed Match 77gr (damn pricey stuff) and the regular cheap stuff.  Would you believe that the 3rd shop where I finally found it was the smallest shop of the 3.
As far as pricing goes...their prices cant be worse than Bill Jacksons

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Bought ammo and shot at the Tampa Shoot Straight today.  Nobody asked me for ID.  They didn't ask for that stupid "I signed the liability statement" card either.  Nobody treated me like a retard.

Not my favorite place to buy stuff or shoot, but they are handy.

Knight's sales side acted like real pricks the two times I went in there; so I stopped going.  Happy they're out of business; but shame about the range which was nice.

I know we have a tendency to close our minds after a bad experience.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
.  Would you believe that the 3rd shop where I finally found it was the smallest shop of the 3.

Cracker Boys? They are the only place locally that get my business when I purchase firearms not off the internet.

Knight's was pretty close to BJ's prices. Except you could shoot silhouettes at Knight's. The owner of Bill Jackson's believes that if you shoot at people targets you will go out and shoot people.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I will second exactly what Jeff said.  Everyone hates the biggest dealer but loves capitalism .  What is does in his spare time is his business.  He cut me many deals better than I could have gotten @ dealer pricing because of his volume and did it without a single complaint.  I was polite with him and he was never a dick to me.  That said I shoot at his range in the winter (no a/c) because it's convenient and they watch the morons so I don't get muzzle-swept.  I don't walk in like I have a chip on my shoulder so they are respectful of me and my NFA when I bring it and even let them play if they ask nicely.  As for their prices, someone pays their prices or they wouldn't be open.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Glad some people don't mind SS, but I won't spend a dime with them.  I've attempted to purchase 2 guns from them and they were higher than any other dealer at the show and each time they wouldn't deal at all with me.  I also won't patronize a place that prohibits CC in their store and came out publicly against OC to the media last year.

I have no problem with my local shops and the guys there are friendly and will answer questions.  If SS was the only game in town I'd buy everything online.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#43]
The outdoor Knights Trail in Venice is open and working as normal.  My son was shooting trap there yesterday.  He also went by the other range and it was open also.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
.  Would you believe that the 3rd shop where I finally found it was the smallest shop of the 3.

Cracker Boys? They are the only place locally that get my business when I purchase firearms not off the internet.

Knight's was pretty close to BJ's prices. Except you could shoot silhouettes at Knight's. The owner of Bill Jackson's believes that if you shoot at people targets you will go out and shoot people.

Actually I got the ammo at Gun City.  The other place I checked was Take Aim.  Never been to Cracker Boys.  I am more in the northern part of the county.  Although my last 2 gun purchases I used Big Tim's Pawn as the FFL and I would use them again without hesitation.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will second exactly what Jeff said.  Everyone hates the biggest dealer but loves capitalism .  What is does in his spare time is his business.  He cut me many deals better than I could have gotten @ dealer pricing because of his volume and did it without a single complaint.  I was polite with him and he was never a dick to me.  That said I shoot at his range in the winter (no a/c) because it's convenient and they watch the morons so I don't get muzzle-swept.  I don't walk in like I have a chip on my shoulder so they are respectful of me and my NFA when I bring it and even let them play if they ask nicely.  As for their prices, someone pays their prices or they wouldn't be open.  

I didn't say anything about how successful they are, I didn't see too many here say they hated them for being the biggest, more so how they are treated. I really don't know about most of their businesses or practices in their stores. My problem is the way myself and more importantly my dad was treated by the owner. For the most, you can be a dick to me and I don't much care, but when you are rude, condescending and basically a fucking asshole to my dad you can FOAD. Even one of the employees gave me one of the "sorry bro" looks.  That is exactly my problem with them, and I will do all I can to spread that message to other potential buyers.

By all means continue to shop there, that is the beauty of a free market we all get a choice! I will spend my money elsewhere!
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I got the ammo at Gun City.  The other place I checked was Take Aim.  Never been to Cracker Boys.  I am more in the northern part of the county.  Although my last 2 gun purchases I used Big Tim's Pawn as the FFL and I would use them again without hesitation.

Oh ok. Ya, Cracker Boys is here in St. Pete. They are really good people, have yet to have anything but a great experience in there. It looks and sounds like a Fudd shop but they don't discriminate. I used Big Tim's when I bought my AR-10 from EE, they have by far the cheapest transfers I could find.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Where is Big Tim's, I hate to admit I have lived in Clearwater for over 30 years and never heard of them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:18:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#49]
What a drag, Knight's was my closest indoor range...  I may have to check it out when it reopens as SS.

I've been to Wyoming Antelope Club once to buy a handgun from one of their RO's but could never get past their silly range rules.  Otherwise I'd be a member there.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#50]
IMHO, Knights has been shitty for a long while now.   Family issues and related lawsuits will do it.  That place was sure nice when it first opened too.  What a shame.

...Not a big fan of SS, but if they can clean the place up and provide a decent range, I'm in!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top