Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2011 4:23:48 AM EDT
Sitting here in Pinellas County...grew up here but just moved here from Hawaii.

My childhood memories all recall huge booming thunderstorms between 3 and 6pm in summer.

So far I've been here a MONTH and its sprinkled like twice.

Whats going on?

-Parched
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 6:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
just a short delay ,you will be seeing the storms soon
about 3:30 to 5 in the afternoom get dark sky fast, thunder, lightning,
a few small hail stones hitting the car, then the sky opens up for 25 minutes flooding the street
and the back yard then more hail lightning and storm moves on.
How does that feel? close to the real thing, if I did it right. So just wait for the real thing
it will be here before you know it. I don't thingk it is hot enough yet, like in the 90's is when it happens
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Fewer trees in Florida... the moisture is not there like it used to be ?
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Heard the same thing about them draining swamps in the south. Didn't know if serious.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heard the same thing about them draining swamps in the south. Didn't know if serious.

I grew up here in Florida, Tallahassee to be specific.  I do remember it being MUCH MORE wet than the last 10-15 years.  When we bought our property in Jefferson county, we had a low area that held water year-round, we used to shoot ducks there.  The cypress areas held water year-round and held lots of woodies.

Other than when hurricanes or tropical storms come and hang around the area, we see little to no standing water.  My brother rants about how the lack of forests due to development in the state has contributed to the reduction in afternoon thunder storm activity... makes sense to be.  Less moisture, less build up.

Pines don't offer the moisture contribution that hard woods do... or so I am told.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn it...Al Gore was right!  

We've started seeing more rain south of you over the past couple days...it's coming.  Every spring we have drought conditions and everyone panics, then the summer heat hits and we get almost daily rain.  Of course then we'll start seeing the "when will this rain stop" posts.

Don't be surprised in January when it starts getting near freezing and our friends to the north are covered in snow...I predict it will happen.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We've started seeing more rain south of you over the past couple days...it's coming. Every spring we have drought conditions and everyone panics, then the summer heat hits and we get almost daily rain.  Of course then we'll start seeing the "when will this rain stop" posts.

Don't be surprised in January when it starts getting near freezing and our friends to the north are covered in snow...I predict it will happen.  

Regardless of your opinion... I know for a fact rain fall has been significantly less over the years at my place.  I have pictures of the mid to late 1980's where I went 4-wheeling on my place... something I have not been able to do in years.

Rainfall shortages are nothing new... here is an old story... it just keeps on and on.

Shortages from previous years
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]
it stormed pretty well this morning (very EARLY this morning, like 1 am) in Clearwater, IIRC

also just left Tampa proper and it's raining by the airport now
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Poured rain this morning on my way to work from North Pinellas County to Pinellas Park. Was really coming down between Clearwater and Pinellas Park.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#9]
It was raining in the Gulf this morning, there were storms in a line across the horizon.

View of two of them taken from Lido Beach..

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a monsoon here in Miami-Dade this afternoon. Wind gusts of 50!
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is a chart from NOAA that shows FL precipitation in May since 1895.  The precipitation trend for the period of record (1895 to present) is -0.03 inches per decade.  So basically it's typical Florida.

And this is the Annual precip for the same period and the trend is that we're wetter by +0.27 inches per decade.

Link Posted: 6/25/2011 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It was raining in the Gulf this morning, there were storms in a line across the horizon.

View of two of them taken from Lido Beach..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/DSC_0672.jpg  

Yeah, we did have some good storms roll through yesterday. Looks like we are back in the summer rainstorm pattern, just like every year.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's raining here now - finally.  

We got plenty of rain yesterday in Miami...

Link Posted: 6/25/2011 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My childhood memories all recall huge booming thunderstorms between 3 and 6pm in summer.

Whats going on?

-Parched

had a hard rain yesterday in clearwater
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess the sky heard me, yesterday 4th St was flooded and we were getting rain winds and thunder till about midnight. Awesome.

hopefully it keeps up
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Well it has just started again here in Miami as I am reading this.
just like someone qued it up, thunder clouds, thunder, lightning and rain. it is 1:43pm
starting again thankfully, my strawberry crop loves it(no hail) today 6/28/11 10:43am  
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Peace river at Zolfo has risen + 1.5' over the last 3 days.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Peace river at Zolfo has risen + 1.5' over the last 3 days.

Doesn't surprise me. I remember when my dad lived in Bowling Green and I'd go over the river occasionally when I was down there and if it sprinkled it seemed like it came up a foot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]
3 months with no rain, my garden died because I couldn't water it enough, I finally dug the 2' deep trench from the house to the shop to put in the power conduit(by hand). So while being held hostage in a tent with the wife at Disneys Ft. Wilderness( by a 7 year old Brownie ), The 24 hour monsoon comes. Blinding toad stranglers interspaced with constant drizzle. Great fun....

Now I 've got a days work drying and repacking the whole soggy mess.....
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 2:31:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:07:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Whats going on?

-Parched

I recant my previous statement.

Drove through about 12 inches of standing water for a solid few miles down 38th avenue.

Shit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I took this week off to get some work done around our property. That hasn't worked out very well so far. But Florida needs the rain so I won't complain too much.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've started seeing more rain south of you over the past couple days...it's coming. Every spring we have drought conditions and everyone panics, then the summer heat hits and we get almost daily rain.  Of course then we'll start seeing the "when will this rain stop" posts.

Regardless of your opinion... I know for a fact rain fall has been significantly less over the years at my place.  I have pictures of the mid to late 1980's where I went 4-wheeling on my place... something I have not been able to do in years.

Rainfall shortages are nothing new... here is an old story... it just keeps on and on.

Shortages from previous years

Climatology does not depend on what anyone remembers.

http://coaps.fsu.edu/climate_center/summaries/flmonthly2011_07.shtml
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Been seeing them daily here in Dade County. Kinda pissing me off too. Trying to get some outside work done, both at work and at home.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:28:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I was down in June and it rained every damned day...all day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top