Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2011 11:17:10 AM EDT
A book by Louis L'Amour. This book is one of the best I have read. Anyone looking for a good read? This is it!!
http://www.louislamour.com/novels/lastofbreed.htm

ETA: This book is not a Western.

here is the book info copied from the link above:

It is the compelling story of
               U.S. Air Force Major Joe Mack, a man born out of time. When his
               experimental aircraft is forced down in Russia and he escapes
               a Soviet prison camp, he must call upon the ancient skills of
               his Indian forebears to survive the vast Siberian wilderness.
               Only one route lies open to Mack: the path of his ancestors, overland
               to the Bering Strait and across the sea to America. But in pursuit
               is a legendary tracker, the Yakut native Alekhin, who knows every
               square foot of the icy frontier––and who knows that to trap his
               quarry he must think like a Sioux.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey!  That's the only Louis Lamour book I've ever read!

It was on the coffee table in the day-room while I was in Basic and I read it "a-page-here-a-page-there" while the drills weren't looking when I pulled CQ runner.

I enjoyed it a lot and second your recommendation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Hey!  That's the only Louis Lamour book I've ever read!

It was on the coffee table in the day-room while I was in Basic and I read it "a-page-here-a-page-there" while the drills weren't looking when I pulled CQ runner.

I enjoyed it a lot and second your recommendation.
It really makes me rethink my plans of survival in a SHTF situation. The character "Joe Mack" really has it tough.

Although there arent many places that get close to Siberia temps in the U.S. I would have a hard time making it in really cold states if i had to.

Im going to let the my wife read this after me, then offer it up on the book section of Arf.com

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Outstanding book. I still have the paperback I bought when it first released.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A book by Louis L'Amour. This book is one of the best I have read. Anyone looking for a good read? This is it!!

http://www.louislamour.com/novels/lastofbreed.htm

ETA: This book is not a Western.

here is the book info copied from the link above:

It is the compelling story of                 U.S. Air Force Major Joe Mack, a man born out of time. When his                 experimental aircraft is forced down in Russia and he escapes                 a Soviet prison camp, he must call upon the ancient skills of                 his Indian forebears to survive the vast Siberian wilderness.                 Only one route lies open to Mack: the path of his ancestors, overland                 to the Bering Strait and across the sea to America. But in pursuit                 is a legendary tracker, the Yakut native Alekhin, who knows every                 square foot of the icy frontier––and who knows that to trap his                 quarry he must think like a Sioux.

Too campy. A Harlequin for men.  Fantastically wealthy, lives in a huge house that is only accessible by helo, a refined gentleman yet a savage inside.  Come on...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top