Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2010 6:21:21 PM EDT
Anyone between Panama City and Jacksonville interested in helping an AK newbie build his first AK? I have a couple of the NDS $43 -74 receivers sitting here (need the magwells widened a bit, I have instructions) and I think I finally sold my Kel-Tec, and I'll be ordering an APEX Bulgarian kit as soon as I get the money from it.

So, I'll have all my parts, but I live in a tiny little apartment in Tallahassee and none of the needed tools or experience. I'm willing to pay in cash or booze for a hand with this. Is there anything else I'd need to buy beyond that kit to make this gun 922(r) compliant?

Thanks for reading,
GD
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you need enough US parts to be compliant (piston, trigger group, floor plates, brake, furniture, etc, your pick).  You will need either a press to remove the barrel or a gear puller (which is a lot cheaper), and you can re-install the barrel with 1/4" threaded rod and some nuts.  Pick up a spot welder for welding the rails if they are not already welded.  You can squash rivets with a modified set of bolt cutters.  When I did my builts, parts kits were $100, and it cost me another $100 in tools plus a little more for US parts... came in somewhere around $175 per rifle when I was done.  Times have changed unfortunately.

Check out the "build it yourself" forum. I have done a few AK builds myself (bent from flats) and it's not difficult if you can use a dremel.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes you need enough US parts to be compliant (piston, trigger group, floor plates, furniture, etc, your pick).  You will need either a press to remove the barrel or a gear puller (which is a lot cheaper), and you can re-install the barrel with 1/4" threaded rod and some nuts.  Pick up a spot welder for welding the rails if they are not already welded.  You can squash rivets with a modified set of bolt cutters.  

Check out the "build it yourself" forum. I have done a few AK builds myself (bent from flats) and it's not difficult if you can use a dremel.  

http://prettyshinythings.info/puf.jpg

http://prettyshinythings.info/rg.jpg

This is actually a virgin parts kit with a pre-drilled US made barrel, just going to have to buy a FCG and 1 other part to be in compliance (I'm going with a Tapco pistol grip).

Was hoping to do it with some folks from the board, and just get together and do it and have a few beers or something afterwards, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. Ah well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top