Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 6:05:24 AM EDT
I know it's legal to ship handgun from a individual to another individual within in state but has anybody been able to do this recently?

I want to send a handgun to my cousin and don't want to make the 500+ mile round trip so I want to ship it.
I called FedEx and UPS and they both said they won't ship handgun to two individuals.
I believe FedEx said both parties has to be FFL and UPS said minimum one side has to be FFL.

Am I SOL?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
are you SOL?

pretty much

you are held by the policies of the shipping company

UPS and fedex have their firearms shipping requirements posted on their site.

you could look for a local shipping company to handle it, but I dont know if anyone has ever had that luck.

just be aware, if you skirt their rules and something happens, you cant blame them or expect them to cover loss/damage.

i.e. the fellow that shipped the AK from the UPS store and it got damaged
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#2]
From UPS's site:
Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

Found here.

You have to take it, boxed, to a hub and not to a UPS Store or any other shipping place.

ETA:  You can read the FAQ for shipping firearms in FL for more info.  http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=272

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Dogue,

Thank you for your post.
That's very informative.

Has anybody actually shipped a handgun to an individual in-state recently via. UPS?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I  have not heard of anyone having success.

you will need to take a hard copy of their own policies with you because someone (the hub manager) will probably need convincing that it is ok
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't but someone recently did on one of the other forums I'm on. Take it to the UPS hub with a copy of the state law in hand to show if they bitch. When I shipped my 1911 off for custom work via UPS they didn't verify in any way if it was going to an FFL... So if they ask, the answer is "Why yes it is"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top