Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 11:05:06 AM EDT
Any recommendations on an Insurance company that is still writing Homeowner's/Property Insurance in the State?

State farm just decided to jack up my Auto Insurance $180yr (two cars, no accidents in 16yrs, no tickets in 11 years, and no claims in 16yrs), they are blaming the State.

I like 30mi away from the water and have never filed a claim on my home, live in a house built in 2000.

Any recommendation on who or who not to go with?

I'm a bit ticked in that when I added a second car a few months ago, the quote on my truck (primary) dropped to sub-$400. I get my latest bill and it's $15 that it used to be and that is with a $60 multiple car discount. Anyone ever try Liberty Mutual?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are a Veteran  or have been .gov employee then call USAA asap. No one else is writing package home/auto anymore. All the big national names have pretty much pulled out of the state.

Understand that if you drop the auto from them, they will likely not renew your house policy. State Farm is expensive, but worth it. They will rebuild a house correctly and without compromise.

Amica is very good for Auto Insurance.

Also, call your agent and ask him to re access your needs. If he's smart and does not want to lose business, then he will likely show you some ways to help lower your costs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]
i have state farm now and tried to find cheaper, I do have home/auto and life with them. i got a qoute from a company that sells at a discount for firefighters and cops and theyr were still higher then SF.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
SF basically doesn't care, they said it was a State of Florida increase (uninsured motorist) etc.

I cannot get USAA, anymore.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
if your happy, something tells me that $15/mo ain't gonna break the piggy bank.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I was with SF for almost 20 years.  Two years ago when they started to talk about pulling out of the state, I looked around and ended up with AAA.  Yep the auto club.  House and two vehicles and it cost me a little more than SF but remember SF was asking the state to approve a 40 percent increase at the time so I don't know what would have happen if I had not switched.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
yes, if you are in the state of Florida, don't bother contacting USAA.  I've been with them for almost two decades now but after the hurricanes a few years ago, they said if I ever moved to another house within the state, they wouldn't renew my policy.  I'm glad they didn't outright drop me, but I'll be leaving them if I can pretty soon.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Met life property and casualty dropped me and the state of Florida,
I was in citizens for 1 year and now I have been moved to a company called
Southern Oak, their rates are higher than citizens but I did some research and their rating is tops
and my agent says they are very good on paper but does not know how the pay off

In order to even qualify for citizens I had to get my electrical re-done
and hard wire fire alarms. This cost me a small fortune as my house was built in 1948, but now I do have
up to date electrical and fire alarms .
As for the auto insurance I still have State Farm and if you have been with them for over five years, they can switch you to
the mutual part and lower your rates considerable. MY auto insurance is cheaper than anyone else if compared side by side
policy to policy 100, 300
I did extensive research on the costs for the same levels and state farm mutual was the cheapest by a long shot.
no I don't work for them or have stock in the company just the least expensive insurance so far.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#8]
SF basically doesn't care, they said it was a State of Florida increase (uninsured motorist) etc.

My insurance told me the same thing when my auto went up $150/year in June.
Funny thin was all the rates I got from others were almost no different or more expensive. I wound up staying with the company.
You can try them. They only do auto though.
http://www.amica.com/default.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top