Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2010 2:09:35 PM EDT
Now I know there is a ton of threads on this subject, I just thought this would make it alot easier for me.  I'm planning on a new store and would like to get some different Idea's.  What is the best places to check out?  i.e. Design, Ranges, Layout, Inventory, Definite best shops in central Florida.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/2/2010 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Best layout and range is shootstraight however, most members will not go there because their service is beyond horrible and their prices are getting close to the point of insanity, however, their Apoka store is really nice to look at.  Their Tampa store is even better.  The best around for price, selection and service is without a doubt Florida Gun Exchange in Port Orange.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
outstanding anymore reviews??
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Gun Gallery may not have the best layout.........and the range is adequate...But the staff makes up for all of that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Best pistol range in my opinion is at American Police Hall of Fame in Titusville. It has a reputation as one of the friendliest, and it definately is the biggest with the best equipment I have ever been to.

Link Posted: 3/2/2010 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out East Orange Shooting Sports in Orlando, they are redesigning their store layout and have a nice selection of firearms. Staff are friendly to.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I second the Florida Gun Exchange, I buy there all the time. They also have a more "tactical"weapons selection than most places.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Florida Gun Exchange hands-down.  No range, but an EBR and handgun mega-store.  I walked in there last week and bought a DPMS .308 SASS that was just hangin' on the wall. Most people have to wait 1+ years to get one.  .50 Cals, full-auto stuff (Class III Dealer), FN's, FAL's, Saiga's, all in a nice, clean, bright store.  Lots of accessories, too.  ACOGs, EoTechs, Surefire, stripped lowers, uppers, you-name-it, they got it.

Their prices are consistently lower than on-line stuff, and WAY lower than other shops.  Most everything is well below retail.  LOTS and LOTS of ammo, too.

Ask for Zane Black and tell him the SASS/Saiga guy from Palm Bay sent you.  He'll take care of 'ya.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I second the East Orange Shooting Sports recommendation.  Nice little, well laid out, store in front and I like the range as well.  Great staff to deal with.

-Scott
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#9]
The problem with E. Orange is they are expensive.  I live close by and drive all they way out to Port Orange to deal with FL. Gun Exchange.  I know most saving are negated by the drive, but I prefer to deal with people that work hard to save me money.  A recent example was a Browing Hi-Power, E. Orange quoted me $999.00 with their no hagle pricing and did not seem enthused about ordering it.  Florida Gun Exchange had it in stock and listed for $749.99.  I will drive an hour and a half for $250.00.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#10]
i always liked B&H Gun Rack in Merritt Island.  Usually had good selection, prices, etc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The problem with E. Orange is they are expensive.  I live close by and drive all they way out to Port Orange to deal with FL. Gun Exchange.  I know most saving are negated by the drive, but I prefer to deal with people that work hard to save me money.  A recent example was a Browing Hi-Power, E. Orange quoted me $999.00 with their no hagle pricing and did not seem enthused about ordering it.  Florida Gun Exchange had it in stock and listed for $749.99.  I will drive an hour and a half for $250.00.

Ah... I've never shopped for a gun there... just use the range, pick up a few parts and had a transfer or two sent there.  But $250 difference??? OUCH!!!  Sounds like my experiences in Shoot Straight Casselberry.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i always liked B&H Gun Rack in Merritt Island.  Usually had good selection, prices, etc.

PPPPPPTTTTHHHHH!!! Fuck B&H....

Indian River Sportsman in Titiusville is my choice in Brevard County.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

cheaper, better selection, better salespeople?  how about an actual comparison instead of "fuck b&h...."
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cheaper, better selection, better salespeople?  how about an actual comparison instead of "fuck b&h...."

More personable people for one. The staff at B&H are pricks unless you're either a cop or one of their buds.

Two- Indian River Sportsman won't look down their noses at you if you want to buy something that isn't the latest thing or their personal choice.

There's been several people on this board who have similar opinions of them.

If you like'em, more power to ya- I think they're pricks and won't buy anything from them- even if they were last gun store in Brevard County!
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gladly:

I walk into B&H: "Hey, how much to transfer a stripped AR15 lower through you guys?"
B&H's owner/FFL: "I can't transfer an AR-15 lower for you! If you build a rifle and then sell it, the ATF will rape me! RAPE ME! Now GTFO OF MY SHOP!"

I walk into Ammo Attic in Melbourne: "Hey, how much to transfer a stripped AR15 lower through you guys?"
Ammo Attic's owner/FFL: "Is this your first purchase with us? Fifteen bucks, then. Here's a copy of our FFL."
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I have never found East Orange to be expensive, always fairly priced and sometimes below fair. Glocks and S&W M&P are always priced decent. They had a LWRC M6A2 for $1999. Are they as cheap as some internet sites? No, but they do have a retail store where you can touch and feel, and also a range where you can take your new toy to play. I like the range too. The rubber backstop means less lead dust in the air. And the staff is always freindly and helpful. When I got into shooting almost three years ago, I went to many stores; East Orange, Shoot Straight, Bass Pro, Gander and a few other small places around Orlando. East Orange had the best combination of price, selection and staff, and as a new shooter, the staff was very important to me becasue I had lots of questions.

Florida Gun Exchange also seems to be a nice place, I have been in twice. But they are over an hour away from me, so unless I have to be in that part of town, there is no reason for me to go there. I can't justify a half tank of gas and 3 hours of time to save $50-$75.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I also think the policemans hall of fame is the best in ctl fl. I think east orange is to small/tight never enjoyed shooting there. Shoot straight apopka is nice...and expensive. I prefer the private outdoor range I shoot at. No crowds, rapid fire, covered,bbq, 500+ yards, though itis a long trip as well. Steel is not shot up, more respect for the grounds eqip. and modest rules basically the gun safety rules.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#18]
East Orange is decent. A little small but the staff is ok and their prices are reasonable.
Shoot Straight has a lot of inventory but the staff is generally less than friendly and have a know-it-all attitude (without the knowledge to back it up).
Police Hall of Fame range is the best I've seen and the staff were great. I didn't go in the store so I can't comment on that part.
Shooters Den used to be a good store but their inventory is next to nothing now and the staff quality (which used to be pretty good) has dwindled.
B&H has good prices, especially if you are LEO. The staff seems to be busy but friendly enough.

In planning a new store make sure you have a friendly and competent staff. The range needs to be clean and sufficiently supervised to keep idiots from doing unsafe crap. Let your customers shoot their own ammo, I won't go to a range that forces me to buy their ammo. A rifle rated range would be a bonus, especially if it is 25+yds long. Cheap transfers, low prices and plenty of stock are all nice too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I also think the policemans hall of fame is the best in ctl fl. I think east orange is to small/tight never enjoyed shooting there. Shoot straight apopka is nice...and expensive. I prefer the private outdoor range I shoot at. No crowds, rapid fire, covered,bbq, 500+ yards, though itis a long trip as well. Steel is not shot up, more respect for the grounds eqip. and modest rules basically the gun safety rules.

Is there a way to get a membership there? If so, can you IM me the details..I only have access to 200 yards max and my SPR and AR10 need to get stretched out a little further..
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
only decent store I've found in this area.

Quoted:

Best layout and range is shootstraight however, most members will not go there because their service is beyond horrible and their prices are getting close to the point of insanity, however, their Apoka store is really nice to look at.  Their Tampa store is even better.  The best around for price, selection and service is without a doubt Florida Gun Exchange in Port Orange.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top