Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 6:11:17 PM EDT
So, long story short, I got a speeding ticket on New Year's Day this year. Things were so hectic with a move and job change that I completely forgot to sign up for the class to remove points. I was just reminded of this fact by getting my new insurance policy quote. My rate jumped 60%.

Is there a time limit for electing to take the driving class to remove the points? Have I waited too long? Am I screwed?

I've tried calling the DMV but I get busy signals or hold times too long.

I appreciate any info you may have...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I am one of the people that you were trying to call at DMV........if you did not notify the court a the time the ticket was paid for you wanted to take the class, you're screwed. class is no longer an option.  If you said you were going to take the class you had 60 days to complete it.  if it was not done in that time frame,  again...you're screwed.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, forget it. The points will come off, but your record will still show the offense. Florida's class only removes the points from your state MVR, not the ticket itself.

You will take the class, have the points removed and still get taxed by your insurer.       60% is pretty harsh. What was the ticket? There has to be more. Did you move from a rural zip code to an urban one when your job changed?

Any accidents or claim activity lately? Were you on a policy with others before? Come on, fess up!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Next time you get a ticket just get a traffic attorney to squash the ticket! It will generally only cost a bit more than the ticket and you don't have to worry about anything. It's like it never happened.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Give this guy a call... If anyone can do it, he can:

http://www.carlsonmeissner.com/our-team-of-attorneys/j-kevin-hayslett.aspx

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:10:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't bother with the traffic school unless you have so many points that you are going to lose your license.
Your insurance company is going by incidences and not convictions so even if you go to traffic school your insurance will still go up.
The only thing traffic school will do is keep the points from going on your record.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:37:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Next time you get a ticket just get a traffic attorney to squash the ticket!  It will generally only cost a bit more than the ticket and you don't have to worry about anything. It's like it never happened.

Yea, do what he said... MAYBE you will be the one that beats the ticket... MAYBE NOT.  In over 14 years of writing GOOD SOLID TICKETS, not a single one has been lost in court... and PLENTY of offenders had representation.

True, tickets get beat in court from time to time, but it's NOT a common occurrence where I am or where I have been.  Whether to get a lawyer or not depends upon many factors, I would not recommend getting one, NOR WOULD I SIMPLY GET ONE, just for the sake of "trying" to beat a ticket.  

Many courts and Judges don't generally play the games lawyers like to play, thus a lawyer can end up costing you more.  JUST ASK THE GIRL WHO TOOK ME TO COURT IN SC FOR A JURY TRIAL OVER A "FAILURE TO YIELD" TICKET!!  That's right folks, a damn JURY TRIAL for a traffic ticket.  Her high priced lawyer not only lost her the case, he also got her the max fine as a result.

Citizens see and hear of BS in courts today and are tired of the games... Judges are no different.

Too bad you forgot to get the school option, that would have been your best move second to not speeding.  All in all, it depends on where you are and what court you will be going to.  Sad but true...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
True, tickets get beat in court from time to time, but it's NOT a common occurrence where I am or where I have been.  Whether to get a lawyer or not depends upon many factors, I would not recommend getting one, NOR WOULD I SIMPLY GET ONE, just for the sake of "trying" to beat a ticket.  

I disagree, tickets get beat in court all the time!  If you yourself, or have your lawyer, go infront of the judge and plead no contest and ask that adjudication be withheld, most of the time
the judge will Nolo it and withhold adjudication.  You'll have to pay court costs and still pay the price of the ticket,  but the ticket will never show up on your record.

Hire a good attorney that deals with traffic infractions!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:45:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I have never seen an attorney "beat" a ticket. generally they enter a plea of no contest on behalf of the client and as for adjudication to be withheld (which it generally will be if requested). Often traffic school will be court ordered along with a standard fine and court cost.

To the OP, did you just pay the ticket or were you supposed to do traffic school and never did? You might want to check and make sure your license isn't suspended. You have 30 days from the ticket to elect the school and, IIRC, another 60 days to complete to class.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next time you get a ticket just get a traffic attorney to squash the ticket!  It will generally only cost a bit more than the ticket and you don't have to worry about anything. It's like it never happened.

Yea, do what he said... MAYBE you will be the one that beats the ticket... MAYBE NOT.  In over 14 years of writing GOOD SOLID TICKETS, not a single one has been lost in court... and PLENTY of offenders had representation.

Many courts and Judges don't generally play the games lawyers like to play, thus a lawyer can end up costing you more.  JUST ASK THE GIRL WHO TOOK ME TO COURT IN SC FOR A JURY TRIAL OVER A "FAILURE TO YIELD" TICKET!!  That's right folks, a damn JURY TRIAL for a traffic ticket.  Her high priced lawyer not only lost her the case, he also got her the max fine as a result.

Citizens see and hear of BS in courts today and are tired of the games... Judges are no different.

Too bad you forgot to get the school option, that would have been your best move second to not speeding.  All in all, it depends on where you are and what court you will be going to.  Sad but true...

Well, of the speeding tickets I've received in  FL (three in the last 10 years or so, last in '08), a traffic attorney has handled them all without incident. The last was dismissed after the hearing was rescheduled. No points, no fines and no fees. No insurance increases.

Average cost has been $70 per incident. The last I think was $80.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dude, forget it. The points will come off, but your record will still show the offense. Florida's class only removes the points from your state MVR, not the ticket itself.

You will take the class, have the points removed and still get taxed by your insurer.       60% is pretty harsh. What was the ticket? There has to be more. Did you move from a rural zip code to an urban one when your job changed?

Any accidents or claim activity lately? Were you on a policy with others before? Come on, fess up!

Seriously, no, only the one ticket on my driving record. My address has stayed the same. The ticket was for 78 in a 55. It was on Hwy 60 coming off a long stretch at 65 and I just entered the 55 zone with a motorcycle deputy right in the median on a curve just outside of Bartow. Nothing really to fight, all my fault.

I don't care what my record looks like, the ticket is paid and done. I just want my insurance rates back down to normal.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree, tickets get beat in court all the time!  If you yourself, or have your lawyer, go in front of the judge and plead no contest and ask that adjudication be withheld, most of the time
the judge will Nolo it and withhold adjudication.
 You'll have to pay court costs and still pay the price of the ticket,  but the ticket will never show up on your record.

Hire a good attorney that deals with traffic infractions!

That's not "beating" a ticket, what you describe is the "best use" of an atty in court, which is to ask for "help" from the court and not to try and "beat" something... therefore, I agree with you in that respect.   A non-adversarial approach with an atty is your best bet IF you decide to involve an atty, but to do so in Florida, you waive your right to everything else by asking for an Infraction Hearing.  

In Florida, you have three options with a ticket:
1. Pay the fine stated and take the points
2. Elect the School Option if the offense and your record qualifies you for it
3. Waive both 1 & 2 and request an INFRACTION HEARING.  

Once you decide to use #3, most Judges are not friendly to the idea of wasting court time to allow the defendant to try and enter a no-contest plea... think about it!!  An INFRACTION HEARING is just that, it's a TRIAL, which means you have already entered a plea.  To try and enter a no-contest plea is a waste of the courts time and charging officers time.  This is why it does not work out well for violators in my area, and for that, I thank our Judge.

As far as I remember from my class room days, the ONLY benefit to a NO CONTEST PLEA is the results of the case/plea CAN NOT be used against you in a CIVIL TRIAL.  In other words, if you enter a GUILTY plea, it (the plea and conviction) can be used against you in a CIVIL TRIAL as part of the evidence used against you to win a conviction.  However, a NO CONTEST plea CAN NOT be used against you in a CIVIL TRIAL.  If I am wrong on this, I'm sure a real atty will be by shortly to correct me...

Like I said, depends on where you are.  Here, it won't fly by a long shot. Here is how it works where I am...

Our Judge makes an opening statement telling violators that their Infraction Hearing means they have waived all their rights concerning #1 and #2 above.  If found guilty, they can face much harsher fines, driving school, community service, so on and so forth.  However, if they wish to change their mind NOW, they will be allowed to forgo the hearing and pay a fine.  ALL VIOLATORS ARE WARNED that once the hearings begin, there will be no changing of minds... period. ALMOST ALL traffic attys speak up and take the Judge up on the offer for their client, why do you think this is so?  I'll tell you why, because they know our Judge won't play games.

Like I said... DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE and WHAT JUDGE IS ON THE BENCH.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, of the speeding tickets I've received in  FL (three in the last 10 years or so, last in '08), a traffic attorney has handled them all without incident. The last was dismissed after the hearing was rescheduled. No points, no fines and no fees. No insurance increases.

Average cost has been $70 per incident. The last I think was $80.

Glad it worked out for you.  Why was the hearing rescheduled?  If the officer was a no-show, the case should have been dismissed.  If you miss a hearing where I am, your ass is in the sling...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top