Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2009 1:37:43 PM EDT
(Before we begin, I don't normally bitch about this kind of stuff but I'm sore as heck and I wanted to be pissy.)

Because some guy had to give his girlfriend a remedial class on how to shoot and she couldn't concentrate with my one gun shooting in the background.  He said shoot a few rounds and then give him 10 minutes.  I gave him a and told him I was going to pack up soon anyway.  I thought well she can shoot in peace if its her first time.  I'm not going to waste my time and money waiting for his permission to shoot though.

I started sweeping up my brass when I heard him screaming so she could hear him over the ear protection.  "ITS JUST LIKE AN AIR GUN!" I laughed.  Then he explained how to shoot it.  Then she hid behind the partition while he shot a few rounds and I left.

I planned on having lunch with grandma after and when I told her the story she said "If she can't shoot with people at a shooting range, how's she going to shoot when it really matters?"

All I'm trying to say is leave the theory and safety stuff for home when you're not trying to shout down a .45.  You can't.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You should 'a slapped his punk ass....
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not quite sure how I would have even handled that. I certainly wouldn't have said anything rude, but I may have asked him to look for another line. Gateway or?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Either the guy has the patience of a saint, or is a complete goober for trying to train someone with such a huge handicap in the first place.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to  train someone that was not capable of functioning safely while others are shooting.

It would be the equivalent of asking all the motorists on a given road to pull over to the side while I'm teaching my student driver.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a certified instructor and teach women all the time.

By the time they actually get inside the loud area, they have spent close to an hour at the setup table outside and are completely comfortable with whats going on and actually anxious to get blasting.

If they're not, someone isn't doing their job.

If there's one thing I hate its some dickweed who thinks teaching a woman to shoot means taking them straight inside, handing them a gun and saying "Here! Shoot this!" but I see it more often than not.

I probably would have left too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
(Before we begin, I don't normally bitch about this kind of stuff but I'm sore as heck and I wanted to be pissy.)

Because some guy had to give his girlfriend a remedial class on how to shoot and she couldn't concentrate with my one gun shooting in the background.  He said shoot a few rounds and then give him 10 minutes.  I gave him a and told him I was going to pack up soon anyway.  I thought well she can shoot in peace if its her first time.  I'm not going to waste my time and money waiting for his permission to shoot though.

I started sweeping up my brass when I heard him screaming so she could hear him over the ear protection.  "ITS JUST LIKE AN AIR GUN!" I laughed.  Then he explained how to shoot it.  Then she hid behind the partition while he shot a few rounds and I left.

I planned on having lunch with grandma after and when I told her the story she said "If she can't shoot with people at a shooting range, how's she going to shoot when it really matters?"

All I'm trying to say is leave the theory and safety stuff for home when you're not trying to shout down a .45.  You can't.

You have a lot of patience.  I understand giving somebody a little time but 10 minutes.   If he needed that much time he should have talked with her a little more before coming to the line.  I bet he was the type that just expected you to comply with his request as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I hope grandma shoots, She has it right.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Was she cute?  You could of slipped her your number, and told her that you could handle all of her  training needs.  Get your cards made up before you visit the range.  There will be many more in the same situation.  Just sayin...

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I probably wouldn't have been too rude, but I would have told him to find somewhere else to shoot, or buy me a suppressor
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Was she cute?  You could of slipped her your number, and told her that you could handle all of her  training needs.  Get your cards made up before you visit the range.  There will be many more in the same situation.  Just sayin...  

Good idea
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I would've ignored him. But that's probably the Miami asshole in me coming out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
You should have smacked him.
Told him what are you stupid, you havent coverd the basic's yet.
Was she hot or no?
Or you could have said let me show you how a real man teaches a women to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I didn't want to hurt the parking on my 1911 on his thick skull.  

Quoted:

You, sir, have the right idea.  She wasn't as cute as my girlfriend though.    Usually the girls there are with major douchebags or are at an age where I shouldn't touch them.  On a related note, last time I was there, I don't know if she was a police officer or whatever, but man this smoking hot blond was shooting tight groups with a full size Glock.  I would have kaboomed all over her any time.  

Grandma doesn't shoot at the ripe age of 91, but she does keep a 12 gauge shotgun as a reminder of her late husband.  She's also a Florida cracker through and through so she remembers cleaning wild game for supper.  She also saw a few gun battles between bootleggers and revenuers so she understands a little bit of that too.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#13]
His girlfriend can't "concentrate"; his problem.

His permission to shoot; don't need it.

I would have kept shooting.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Forget slapping him....you wanna really send a message....

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:43:10 AM EDT
[#15]
You were trying to be the nice guy.... Well you were the nice guy.

I don't know what I would have done in that situation.... Depends on my mood I guess.

As for the girl being afraid. Two stories, same basic thing.

My sister wanted to learn to shoot. So when she was in town I took her to the range. Before we went in I showed her how to manipulate the controls on the three weapons we had.

Beretta 22, Browning 380, SW .357.

I loaded one shot in the 22 and gave it to her.... After the one shot she started the shake, I took the weapon from her and she started to cry. I put the weapon down and asked if she was OK. She told me that it scared her. I told her she did not have to keep going. She said she wanted to learn to shoot... I told herthat her crying does not show that. She calmed down and I loaded one more round into the 22. Same thing happened, but not nearly as bad.

Long story short eventually she was firing till the little 22 was empty.

Then we did the EXACT same hing with the 380 and then the EXACT same thing with the 357.

The difference was at each stage I remained calm and told her that we could stop at any time. Today she owns three handguns and shoots twice a mth.

First time shooters I like to take them to an out door range. When you fire a weapon in a closed space you can feel the discharge more. That is what most first timers have an issue with. It is not the noise, but the feeling.

Second story was a girl from up North that a buddy sent to me for skydiving training. She had 15 or so jumps, but hit a wall and was no scared to exit the plane. Why she suddenly got scared I don't know, it happens sometimes when a normally good student suddenly loses all confidence. So I took her to the windtunnel in Orlando, and then directly to the Drop Zone. On the ride to altitude she started crying (What does crying help?) The pilot had to give me a second pass, but she finally got out and had a good jump.

She never did jump again however, and I didn't pressure her. She said she felt like a failure, but I told her she was not a failure, she had done more than most people ever have done.

Lessons:

1. Some people are just not meant to do things.
2. The right instructor can help but not change that.
3. No single instructor is always the right instructor.
4. Being an ass almost never works.

Someone should give that guy that list and highlight #4.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm so glad to hear that line safety takes a back seat to whether someone is attractive or not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I definately wouldn't have stopped if someone asked me to hold off for 10 minutes while he does classroom training on the live fire line.  However, if he offered me a box of ammo, I might reconsider.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Hmmm... I'm not exactly sure how I would have responded to that.  Probably would have depended on the attitude of the guy.  

When I take my female friends shooting (especially first timers), having guns firing in the background will usually make them more relaxed because they know the gun they're about to fire will be loud.  

He should have taken care of that stuff at home first (safety, proper handling, dry firing, etc) before trying to explain all of that at the range.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I would probably wait ten minutes if the guy was nice about it.....I'd just go out to the truck and drink a couple of beers.

I keed! I keed!

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I've brought dozens and dozens of women with me to shoot for their first time.  I have never asked anyone else to stop shooting for me to do it.  I generally have them double up on ear protection with muffs and plugs.  However, loud noise is a part of the experience.  The important stuff is discussed before stepping into the range.  If a lengthy conversation needs to occur, we step out of the range.  Good manners are entirely too rare these days.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#21]
It depends how he asked.  I'm always interested in doing my part in introducing "New" shooters.  The more we expose folk's the better (IHMO) and 10 minutes (again, depending how he asked and what I was doing) seems like a good investment into the "bigger" issue.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g238/scottjohnson70/cunt.gif

Cool vid....  
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#23]
OK, I admit no coffee yet........ but I don't get It. I Know, I'm slow as a ________ in the morning (fill in the blank)

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g238/scottjohnson70/cunt.gif

Cool vid....  

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:58:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

OK, I admit no coffee yet........ but I don't get It. I Know, I'm slow as a ________ in the morning (fill in the blank)

Nothing to get really, just internut silliness.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with TrkyHunter. The woman is having enough problems with her dipshit BF. She certainly doesn't need a cunt punch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#26]
The last time I went to the range at the Ocala Nat'l Forest there was a concealed weapons class being held there. The instructors asked the other five users to hold fire while they walked their students in front of the pavilion to engage some targets. Finally, nearly 20 minutes later they came back to the firing line and we all continued.

The instructors all wore plain red shirts, black BDU pants, and desert tan combat boots. Perhaps someone else has seen them before as well?

I have wondered if the "uniforms" were intentionally left blank preventing identification of the company. With out a name, no one could alert the Forest Service that a particular training company was using a public range for commercial gain (is this acceptable? they pay taxes as well after all...) and holding up other shooters.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm with TrkyHunter. The woman is having enough problems with her dipshit BF. She certainly doesn't need a cunt punch.

Cool.......................  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You should have said you would help him show her how it's done, and kept shooting

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top