Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2009 9:53:38 AM EDT
Hey fellas. I am in town visiting and I need to shoot outside. Anyone have some info on a good range to use in the general area? I can travel a bit for a good range.
Gonna be doing some rifle and pistol work.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Closest place that I know of is the Indian River County Public Shooting Range.

IRCPSR

It not super close to you, but it's a decent range.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Okeechobee Shooting Sports is now open a few days a week. I believe Thursday - Sunday.

I talked to them earlier today. Supposedly all new.

link
http://www.okshooting.com/

West of Port St. Lucie above the lake.

Let me know how it is if you make it out there.

Other than that you can go up to The Indian River range or down to Broward County @ Markham.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I just read the Okeechobee range rules and they say (2 of them) -

*No steel or aluminum cased ammunition.

*AK47 or SKS type rifles are only permitted on the Tactical Range.

Seems a little odd to me but it's their place.

Maybe they would change if they had enough input?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I spent the weekend out there, it's a nice facility, not bad for $15 all day if you ask me.  
It wasn't crowded at all this weekend.  I'm not sure how long it will last though.

Don't bother asking about the AK/SKS issue, you will get a lecture about how veterans don't want those types of weapons fired near them.  
I was going to ask about the Mausers that I saw on the firing line, but let it go.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Don't bother asking about the AK/SKS issue, you will get a lecture about how veterans don't want those types of weapons fired near them.

Thanks. I was going to call them tomorrow about that.

It kind of limits the amount of people that would make the trip. Almost everybody I know likes to bring an AK or SKS (with steel cased ammo) with them.

Oh well...

Their loss I guess.

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I run my SAR-1 @ the Indian River range.
I have plenty of other bang sticks that I can work out in Okeechobee.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a Vet. How are they gonna reconcile that with the fact that I own an AK?

Seems a little odd but I have lots of rounds for the AR and everything else.

Thanks for the info fellas. I will check em out.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a vet also, and I know that the AK47 is the prefered weapon of our enemies, and it has a distinctive sound when fired at you.

And mine is right next to my M1A and M4gery.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn right. I also have an SKS, Mauser, Mosin...etc etc etc. That is a retarded rule and I will politely discuss it with them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is literally the stupidest thing I have heard all week.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#11]
And, regarding the steel cased ammo....evidently they have never heard of magnetism.
I've been told by a couple of places that steel is "too hard to clean up" from the range........duh!
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:14:15 AM EDT
[#12]
wow, some really dumb people out there...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It kind of limits the amount of people that would make the trip. Almost everybody I know likes to bring an AK or SKS (with steel cased ammo) with them.

Oh well...

Their loss I guess.

I shoot there a bunch and have become friendly with the people there. The real reason is that they get so many gang bangers( or new shooters) that think its a Hollywood movie set not a shooting range.  They say that the vast majority of people that show  up there with AKs just spray all over the place and shoot up the target brackets etc.  That's what they say. Also they have to separate the metal from the scrap brass before they sell it.  They are good people and very AR friendly just not Ak friendly.  I would say that if you shoot there often and are there on a slow day like Thursday you would probably be able to get a few mags off from AK.  RO is a sandbox vet and good guy. Rules are not made by him but owner.

As is the case many times in life a few people ruin things for others.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well...

Their loss I guess.

I shoot there a bunch and have become friendly with the people there. The real reason is that they get so many gang bangers( or new shooters) that think its a Hollywood movie set not a shooting range.  They say that the vast majority of people that show  up there with AKs just spray all over the place and shoot up the target brackets etc.  That's what they say. Also they have to separate the metal from the scrap brass before they sell it.  They are good people and very AR friendly just not Ak friendly.  I would say that if you shoot there often and are there on a slow day like Thursday you would probably be able to get a few mags off from AK.  RO is a sandbox vet and good guy. Rules are not made by him but owner.

That is a complete crock of shit  (Their reasoning for not allowing AKs)....

That place was open as "Thundercross" for years, and had no problems with "gang bangers", or with allowing people to shoot AKs...
The range in Indian River Co. allows AK's and SKS....No "gang banger" problems there...
No "gang banger" problems at the range in Gifford...

I guess all the gang bangers are traveling out to Bum Fuck Egypt, and shooting up the Okeechobee range

Not to mention the fact that they haven't even been OPEN long enough to make a statement like:  "the vast majority of people that show up here with AKs just spray all over the place and shoot up the target brackets".

AND they have a "no rapid fire" rule on the "no AK" range anyway... So, are we to believe that these "AK people" come out there acting all "Hollywood", and "shoot up the target stands" with slow, aimed shots?

TOTAL BULLSHIT  The only reason for this rule is because somebody in the ownership is a fucking FUDD... or a GUN SNOB.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:31:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh well...

Their loss I guess.

That is a complete crock of shit  (Their reasoning for not allowing AKs)....

That place was open as "Thundercross" for years, and had no problems with "gang bangers", or with allowing people to shoot AKs...
The range in Indian River Co. allows AK's and SKS....No "gang banger" problems there...
No "gang banger" problems at the range in Gifford...

I guess all the gang bangers are traveling out to Bum Fuck Egypt, and shooting up the Okeechobee range

Not to mention the fact that they haven't even been OPEN long enough to make a statement like:  "the vast majority of people that show up here with AKs just spray all over the place and shoot up the target brackets".

AND they have a "no rapid fire" rule on the "no AK" range anyway... So, are we to believe that these "AK people" come out there acting all "Hollywood", and "shoot up the target stands" with slow, aimed shots?

TOTAL BULLSHIT  The only reason for this rule is because somebody in the ownership is a fucking FUDD... or a GUN SNOB.

they have owned Gator guns and range in WPB for 25 years and I believe they have formed their "opinion" from this location. I'm not sticking up for them I'm just saying. Perhaps a real strict RO would help at Gators, they have none there.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm coming to Florida to visit my sister in October and she is taking me to Indian Country River Range.  She said it is really nice, better than any of the PAGC ranges up here.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#17]
where is the range in Gifford and what do they offer I'm in PSL
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
where is the range in Gifford and what do they offer I'm in PSL

The range in Gifford is a very nice, indoor range inside a pawn shop.  It is right next to a HESS station on an intersection in the 4100 block of US#1, on the west side of the road.

They do allow rifles, but I think it is only 25 yards... I shoot pistols there.

Very nice people,
Very nice, clean, modern gun range, with plenty of shooting positions.
You can shoot whatever ammo you want.
From what I understand, they allow you to draw and shoot there as well.

I learned about it when "Self Defense" in PSL started requiring you to shoot only their ammo. (Which, of course required ME to tell THEM to fuck off).
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm coming to Florida to visit my sister in October and she is taking me to Indian Country River Range.  She said it is really nice, better than any of the PAGC ranges up here.  

Yes, the Indian River County Public Shooting Range is, indeed... a very nice, outdoor rifle/pistol range.
You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]
The Indian River County Public Shooting Range is nice.... but I'd like for them to loosen up some.

Don't forget to bring a shotgun; there is a skeet range as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top