Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2009 5:21:10 PM EDT
I'm thinking about putting an offer in on a house. It needs a new roof. Does anyone have a ballpark on what it would cost to put a tile roof on a 1500 sq ft under air house + a 2 car garage + a small porch in back. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends in large part on where you live, particularly in South Florida.  If you need tile with a Dade County NOA and are in a high velocity wind zone, you are going to pay out the a$$.  Concrete or clay makes a difference as well.  If you're looking to sell, I'd probably stick a 30 to 40 year lam (architectural) up there.  It's a good roofing system, a nice upgrade over a 20-25 year 3-tab, and for 15 square, should run you around $3k give or take.

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 3:33:35 AM EDT
[#2]
This would be in Sarasota, FL and I plan on making this my main residence for a while. So if the roofing tile is 3K how much would the rest of the materials with labor typically be? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll venture a guess that a complete (basic concrete tile) roof for that size home in SRQ is going to cost you close to $8K.

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a friend who is a roofer...  I asked him for you...

First, roofers think in terms of $ per "square".  A "square" is defined as 100 square feet of roof surface.  It isn't always easy to calculate how many squares your roof is as you have to take into account the pitch of the roof and the overhang...  If you really want a good estimate, you should probably climb up onto the roof and bring a tape measure, a pen, & a pad.

Your roof is at a bare minimun - at least 20 squares (it's probably 23 to 25 squares).  My friend tells me that the cost of a tile roof starts at about $450 per square.  He also tells me that the average is probably $700 to $800 per square.  For a 23 square roof @ $450 per square - you are looking at about $10,000 to $11,000 for the roof.  The price on an "average" installation of 23 squares (for tile) would be about $17,000.  The main determining factor on the cost of the roof is in "materials" (i.e. the exact type of tile you want)

Architectural shingles are about 1/2 the price of the cheapest tile roof.  You can do the math...

Hope that helps... Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This would be in Sarasota, FL and I plan on making this my main residence for a while. So if the roofing tile is 3K how much would the rest of the materials with labor typically be? Thanks.

$3k would be for complete install of a 30 year lam.  As stated above, you're looking at two to three times that amount for tile.  This is all just for shingles, felt, nails, drip edge, valley metal, and vents.  If you need decking, which you may if it's been a while, it could be substantially more.

Sun, wind, and rain are the biggest determiners of how much life you get out of your roof.  The actual water proofing is going to be the Peel & Stick or roll/bit or 90# felt they use as an underlayment.  The tiles will help keep the sun from baking the underlayment and shortening it's life, and tiles are much more wind resistant then asphalt shingles.  On the other hand, they suffer impact damage considerably more.  Given Florida's propensity for wind-blown debris for a couple months out of every year, you're not likely to see any roofing system make it through it's full lifespan.  Tile is also harder (costlier) to repair and maintain.  Essentially, you are paying for aesthetics.

A properly installed lam roof is going to look good, be easy to maintain, and with proper ventilation and barring Mother Nature, get you 20 good years or so before it needs to be replaced.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#6]
We have a clay tile roof and a smaller flat roof off the back for an addition. When we had the flat roof done we got an rough estimate on the tile roof since it will be due in a couple years. Our sqf under the tile roof is approx 1300 and we are figuring in the 10-15k range. This is in Palm Beach County.
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
if your hoa permits or you dont have hoa go with 5 v crimp metal around $ 325 per sq
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys thanks very much for the advice. The HOA this place is in specifies tile only. If it weren't for that I would definitely looking at metal or shingle. From what I can tell it appears the roof should cost between 10k to 15k. Thanks again for the info. If anyone has additional information please post!
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]
There are metal roofs that look like tile. Perhaps that would be acceptable. They come in the same colors and are 3 dimensional.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Guys thanks very much for the advice. The HOA this place is in specifies tile only. If it weren't for that I would definitely looking at metal or shingle. From what I can tell it appears the roof should cost between 10k to 15k. Thanks again for the info. If anyone has additional information please post!

I'm a roofer, but I don't go out to Sarasota - stick mostly to the right coast.  If you PM me your address and the type of tile your HOA allows, I can usually get a pretty fair idea of the size of your house via Google Earth.  Sometime next week I can run up a quick quote and let you know what MY cost would be as a roofer.  You'll still have to add a markup or margin to that to get what any decent roofer would charge you.  Can't guarantee when - paid work has to come first - but I'll do it quick as I can.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about putting an offer in on a house. It needs a new roof. Does anyone have a ballpark on what it would cost to put a tile roof on a 1500 sq ft under air house + a 2 car garage + a small porch in back. Thanks!

U R SOOOOOOOOO RICH!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll venture a guess that a complete (basic concrete tile) roof for that size home in SRQ is going to cost you close to $8K.

QFT.

you're going to spend about 8-9K with concrete tiles. much higher if you decide to go ceramic barrel tiles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys thank you! More great information... Here's what the homeowners reg say regarding what kind of roof you must use:

Glazed tile, cement tile, slate or Bermuda style cement shall be used for all roofs. Any other materials must be approved.

Cement tile would be the 8k to 9k "concrete tile" option, right?
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a roofer, but I don't go out to Sarasota - stick mostly to the right coast.  If you PM me your address and the type of tile your HOA allows, I can usually get a pretty fair idea of the size of your house via Google Earth.  Sometime next week I can run up a quick quote and let you know what MY cost would be as a roofer.  You'll still have to add a markup or margin to that to get what any decent roofer would charge you.  Can't guarantee when - paid work has to come first - but I'll do it quick as I can.

PM sent. Thank you!

Link Posted: 8/24/2009 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM sent. Thank you!

PM didn't make it my way...

Yeah it did... but I just got it.  Odd...
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#16]
My mother and father just did one on a 1700 foot house, 23k
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

was that for clay or for cement/concrete?

I'm getting people telling me 20K+ while others are saying 10K give or take a couple thousand. Not sure if they are confusing ceramic tile with cement and conrete tile or not. From what I've read it seems ceramic should be 20K+ while cement & conrete should be considerably less $$.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM sent. Thank you!

PM didn't make it my way...

Yeah it did... but I just got it.  Odd...

Great... thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#19]
today I read an article in a local South Miami Publication about the new rules for Citizens insurance pool in Florida (and older people with mortgages)
It was about new changes in the insurance  requirements of a 40+ year old house, as to the insure ability, and a mandatory 4 point inspection .
It used a 1400sq foot shingle roofing within the example and the cost was
estimated at $15,000. So I would deduce the average cost replacement of a 15+ year old roof in the South Miami area
would be around the 15 mark
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#20]
PM Sent.  

If the last half of the PM got cut off, here's what it said... send me your email addy and I'll send you the worksheets that I used to figure out what my cost would be on your re-roof.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm getting people telling me 20K+ while others are saying 10K give or take a couple thousand. Not sure if they are confusing ceramic tile with cement and conrete tile or not. From what I've read it seems ceramic should be 20K+ while cement & conrete should be considerably less $$.

Concrete, they used Hanson (manufacture)  not sure who the contractor was they live in Brevard county.  Hanson used to be a big customer of mine, they are running real slow as all the building industry is.  I am sure you can do some great negotiating right now.  Good luck  
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Concrete, they used Hanson (manufacture)  not sure who the contractor was they live in Brevard county.  Hanson used to be a big customer of mine, they are running real slow as all the building industry is.  I am sure you can do some great negotiating right now.  Good luck  

Hanson has earned a good deal of anger from local contractors (and from me, personally).  I HAD been using Hanson tile quite a bit as I got direct-shipment prices and good credit terms. Back after the '04-'05 hurricanes, all roofing materials were scarce.  Little guys like me had to scramble for what they could find.   Hanson, in all of their corporate wisdom, decided to cut all of us local roofers off at the knees by refusing to sell us tile, instead reserving all their tile sales to their national accounts (like Lennar Homes etc.).  I lost a lot of work during that time because I couldn't get any Hanson tile.  Now that nationwide sales are at an all-time low, Hanson has gone back on their previous position, realizing that if we roofers don't start buying from them, they'll fold.  Their prices are nothing to shout about, and their customer service sucks.  Fuck 'em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top