Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 5:17:00 PM EDT
As a recent Florida resident, I am not sure what the rules are in terms of selling a rifle in the state.  I searched online and it seems that as long as someone can show age and proof of resident, I can sell them my rifle (sig556).  However, I want to make sure I don't sell the Sig to some felon.  So here's the question:

-Is there a way I can verify that the buyer can legally own the rifle?
-Since the rifle is registered to me, can I reregister to the buyer?
-Should I just sell itto a gunshop?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.  Gonna use the funds for a new AR project.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
How is the rifle registered to you?

We dont have registration in Fl.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If he bought it new. The only way for you personally to somewhat verify they are legal is to only sell to someone w/ a permit or go through a FFL and pay background and transfer fee. Legally you are only required to verify age/residence and "ask" if they allowed to own.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he bought it new. The only way for you personally to somewhat verify they are legal is to only sell to someone w/ a permit or go through a FFL and pay background and transfer fee.

What does buying it new have to do with it?

There still is no registration in Fl.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he bought it new. The only way for you personally to somewhat verify they are legal is to only sell to someone w/ a permit or go through a FFL and pay background and transfer fee. Legally you are only required to verify age/residence and "ask" if they allowed to own.

Sorry.  Registration is not what I meant.  I bought the rifle brand new in Georgia when I lived their and went thru an FFL.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he bought it new. The only way for you personally to somewhat verify they are legal is to only sell to someone w/ a permit or go through a FFL and pay background and transfer fee.

The weapon is in his name, what do you think they do w/ that background info when you buy a weapon?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you talking about the background check call in?

They don't identify a specific weapon on that call.

Its just identified as a long gun or handgun.

The form that's filled out at the gun store is filed away right there.

Once again, there is no gun registration in Fl.

The gun is not "in his name"
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you talking about the background check call in?

They don't identify a specific weapon on that call.

Its just identified as a long gun or handgun.

The form that's filled out at the gun store is filed away right there.

Once again, there is no gun registration in Fl.

The gun is not "in his name"

Maybe you know more than me but I just figure if you bought it new, someone knows you have it. ?- A weapon is found by police at crime scene/side of road, they are not able to trace the serial # to original buyer or transfers? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The weapon is in his name, what do you think they do w/ that background info when you buy a weapon?

It stays on file with that FFL in a binder until the day they close shop; at which point it goes to the BATFE.
To the OP:

When making a private sale, ask to see an ID that proves they are a FL resident. If you want you could require to see a non expired Concealed Carry License. But in reality there is no way to know 100% if they are a felon or not.

Don't sell to a gunshop either, you will get a fraction of its value that way.

If you want to be extra extra sure, you could just give me the Sig. I'll take good care of it

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
When the police trace a firearm they only know what dealer it was transfered to by the manufacturer. From there they contact the dealer and have them lookup who they sold it to with the yellow form you fill out when it is purchased.

My suggestion is that you write a "bill of sale" and have the person you sell it to sign it. That way if it is used in a crime you can show you sold it to someone else.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]
All,

I talked to one of my friends this evening back on Georgia who works at the range I use to be member and he suggested that I go to gun shop and have them consignment.  Since I am not in a hurry, I think I am going to go this route.  Plus, it will help with the logistics of the sale. Now, I gotta figure out what a fair price is for a Sig556 SWAT....Thanks for eveyone's help.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
a lot of shops wont bother with consignment unless it is very profitable for them to do so.  i wouldnt hesitate to sell any gun to a florida ccw holder.   do what you are comfortable with but remember gun shops arent there to do you any favors unless it profits them.  demand seems to be decreasing so you will probably have to put a fair price on it to move it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Consignment is good if you have time to wait.

It can however take months.

If you're willing to wait, someone WILL eventually buy it for your asking price.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:50:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All,

I talked to one of my friends this evening back on Georgia who works at the range I use to be member and he suggested that I go to gun shop and have them consignment.  Since I am not in a hurry, I think I am going to go this route.  Plus, it will help with the logistics of the sale. Now, I gotta figure out what a fair price is for a Sig556 SWAT....Thanks for eveyone's help.

You could probably get away with selling it at $2000.  If it is a bit used, like several hundred rounds through it and some finish wear, I'd say $1850.  If you have anything on it like lights or red dot or scope, I'd separate and sell them individually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top