Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2009 12:03:14 PM EDT
I am going to sight in my scope in a day or so at Shoot Straight in Tampa because they have the 100 yd indoor range (no mother nature/wind to deal with ). So, I want to know if they are anal about certain things, if they are just douche bags period, if they have sand/buckwheat bags to lay the rifle on, do I need to bring anything other protection stuff besides ear protection and goggles?

Thanks and happy shooting!!

Edit: Do they have problems with people shooting ARs with .22lr conversion kits in them on the pistol lanes since they only have 2 rifle lanes?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never had a positive experience with them.  I do not know what they have on the rifle range, but I would suspect that you would need your own rest.  Take ammo with you (or a credit application)
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have never had a positive experience with them.  I do not know what they have on the rifle range, but I would suspect that you would need your own rest.  Take ammo with you (or a credit application)

Alright, I'll give them a call

Edit:
Reservations - No, but there might be a 30 min wait to sit down, the guy told me that one shooter per lane and there are two lanes (no shit)
Shooting bench - Nothing on the bench (no bags or any rests)
Eyes/ears/______ - Nothing else required
Target hanging - Just like on the pistol range
ARs /w .22lr uppers on pistol range - No
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
there was a shooting bench but nothing additional to rest a rifle on last time i went. they do have eye and ear protection available with the range fee.

The rifle range is separated away by itself from the pistol range by a thick heavy door and a wall. its narrow room the width of two lanes and 100 yards long.

dunno about ar15 .22lr conversion on pistol range, i'd clear it with them first.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
there was a shooting bench but nothing additional to rest a rifle on last time i went. they do have eye and ear protection available with the range fee.
The rifle range is separated away by itself from the pistol range by a thick heavy door and a wall. its narrow room the width of two lanes and 100 yards long.

dunno about ar15 .22lr conversion on pistol range, i'd clear it with them first.

I called and asked about the AR .22lr conversions on the pistol range. They said "uhhhh... No".

I don't see why not, there will be people there with .22lr pistols/revolvers and even higher caliber pistols/revolvers.

I also saw online that I could bring my 12ga, but could only shoot buckshot/slugs and only in the rifle range. Another silly thing in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't need the 100 yard range, Shooting Sports on Dale Mabry is great about my ST-22. They let me shoot it on the pistol range as long as I want for around $11 bucks (Not by the hour). They guys there are (mostly) not douches.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you don't need the 100 yard range, Shooting Sports on Dale Mabry is great about my ST-22. They let me shoot it on the pistol range as long as I want for around $11 bucks (Not by the hour). They guys there are (mostly) not douches.

Sadly I need to use all of their 100 yard. I am sighting in my dad's and my .30-30 lever guns (dad - Winchester 94 : Me - Marlin 336W)

Their range prices are BS. $15 per hour
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly I need to use all of their 100 yard. I am sighting in my dad's and my .30-30 lever guns (dad - Winchester 94 : Me - Marlin 336W)

I suppose you could find another 100 yard indoor range...

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I would check again about the .22 conversion, I have personally seen several conversion rifles on the pistol range and regularly see gsg-5's there. As you were told they do not typically have any sort of rests to use. Bring your own ammo! Aside from holsters and occasional sale items the prices there are extremely high, but with the rare exception the guys working the range are first rate.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I shoot my 9mm AR SBR in there all the time FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Typical SS thread.. bitch and moan, bitch and moan, bitch and moan.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I called and asked about the AR .22lr conversions on the pistol range. They said "uhhhh... No".

I don't see why not, there will be people there with .22lr pistols/revolvers and even higher caliber pistols/revolvers.

I also saw online that I could bring my 12ga, but could only shoot buckshot/slugs and only in the rifle range. Another silly thing in my opinion.

im assuming the .22lr reaches a higher velocity exiting a 16 barrel opposed to a 3 or 4 inch barrel

either that or they dont want joe public seeing someone else shooting an AR (doing .22lr) on the line and thinking its kosher to shoot their 5.56 on the same range.  

Dunno if there is an actual technical reason or if its just for keeping headaches away.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I would check again about the .22 conversion, I have personally seen several conversion rifles on the pistol range and regularly see gsg-5's there. As you were told they do not typically have any sort of rests to use. Bring your own ammo! Aside from holsters and occasional sale items the prices there are extremely high, but with the rare exception the guys working the range are first rate.

If you want a deal from shoot strait then you have to learn to negotiate. they certainly are willing. admittedly i'm not the best negotiator but its a skill I have to develop.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my younger days I used to manage an indoor gun range and we had the same rule with shotgun ammo, we learned after replacing many lights that bird shot tend to bounce off of the steel back stops and go in all directions.  It would not be going fast enough to hurt anybody at the firing line (unless they were not wearing eye protection) but it would almost always seem to find the light fixtures.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose you could find another 100 yard indoor range...

Where would that be? Preferably around Tampa.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Typical SS thread.. bitch and moan, bitch and moan, bitch and moan.

You work there?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Shoot Straight has always allowed .22 LR rifles on the pistol ranges (same for pistol caliber carbines).  Anyone who tells you otherwise is incorrect or mistaken.  There's sometimes been rests available on the rifle range, but not always (apparently idiots trash them).  If you ask, they'll let you borrow a spotting scope without charge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top