Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2009 6:10:05 AM EDT
A few questions.......

1) Who enters the s/n in the stolen firearms database.
2) Happened in the driveway, should I file under homeowners ot car insurance?

Yes I did get a police report. Several cars were burglarized in the neighborhood this morning after 2am. The police officer that lives down the street got hit too and was letting the victim's know around 7 am. Jacksonville, 32225.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear of this...  But I have to ask, WHY THE FUCK DO PEOPLE STILL LEAVE WEAPONS IN VEHICLES OVERNIGHT?

Sorry man, just had to say it... Hope you get the weapon back ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The responding department should enter the serial# into the database.

Homeowners.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The responding department should enter the serial# into the database.

Homeowners.

This...  

plus let everyone know in here so they can keep an eye out... you just never know.  

What exactly was stolen and what city?

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I would feel bad if someone broke in and shot me with my own gun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Para Warthog, Jacksonville where Monument hits Fort Caroline.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would feel bad if someone broke in and shot me with my own gun.

I don't think it would feel good to be shot with any gun.  

Hopefully the idiots that broke in to your car have an accidental shooting and eliminate themselves.

Quoted:
Sorry to hear of this...  But I have to ask, WHY THE FUCK DO PEOPLE STILL LEAVE WEAPONS IN VEHICLES OVERNIGHT?

This!!!

I hate leaving anything in the car overnight, especially since neighbors have had their cars broken in a couple times in the past 12 months.  We've been spared and I can't help but think it's because we :
1.  always lock the car,
2.  leave nothing in plain sight,
3.  have tinted windows,
4.  always leave the outside lights on in the driveway
The affected neighbors do not do all of the above even after being broken into in the past.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy a car alarm with a pager.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont agree with leaving weapons in the vehicle... I admit I have done it, though I have also gotten up in the middle of sleeping to go get it to... Though, I am not trying to monday quarterback you...

I would think, depending on the type of weapon it will either turn up in a pawn shop or when it has been passed through so many hands that its way past the burglars and in the hands of someone who intends to use it to do harm....

Thats why we purchased a nice big safe for all the firearms... Figure your average thief isn't carrying the tools around for safe cracking. When we leave the house, the House alarm is on... I am in the process of installing some cameras around the house which are going to be recorded.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Dude I have had my house burglarized twice before ,(obviously not while me in it ,or there would have been some thieves hospitalized if it had happened) I feel your pain. I hope you get your things back but I must say I never saw my ak47 again nor my ol-timer 5 shot 38 special. its ok though i have been drafting up plans to install my own security system, recording in real-time accessible online 24/7 and a couple of other nasty lil things . If your neighborhood is bad id suggest that you move, I happened to live in a bad neighborhood for a bit and i HATED it ,sleep was something I never did I was always on the lookout if ya know what i mean.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#10]
OP,
I hope you get it back.
My truck was stolen in Jax last year and he got busted pulling a stolen landscape trailer.
He got 8 years for GTA and dealing in stolen goods
Let us know what pistol to be on the lookout for.....you never know.
We live in a nice area in mandarin and the LEO across the street had his unmarked car broken into a few years ago.
Nowhere is safe from dirt bags.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1 I would never leave a gun the vehicle if i didnt have to. I'd have to say you didn't have to. how are you going to protect yourself with you gun in your car.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy shit.  I saw 32225 and just about had a heart-attack as that's the ZIP code I'm currently living in by myself.  I'm right around Merrill and Ft. Caroline intersection so you're right down the street from me.  I hate to tell you this considering what just happened to you but noone should be in the habit of leaving a pistol in their cars if they're parked at home and plan ob being out of their car more than a few minutes.  I bought a Smith & Wesson 637 .38 snubbie Airweight to keep in my glove box but didn't end up leaving it there long.  This was years ago.  I figured I would rather carry something better than a .38 snub (which, to me, falls into the last-resort category of guns) and I didn't want to even leave one of my cheaper guns to get boosted in a car if some asshole breaks into it without me being able to catch him.  

A lot of people have been known to keep guns in their cars that are of lower value simply because they're not going to miss them near as much as that Glock they paid $550 for or that 1911 .45 ACP they paid God knows how much for.  But that's not a very sound line of thinking for a responsible gun owner, which I'm sure most everyone posting here (including the guy that started this thread) certainly is.  Even if it's free and given to us as a present or some other method we don't want to arm a criminal by them breaking into one of our cars.  Also, it's not enough to not leave anything out on the seats. Granted, that's a sure way to get your car broken into but many of them simply break a window and go through a few key areas (glove box, under the seat, the trunk) and are gone just as fast.  The whole process takes well under 30 seconds and chances are you're not going to catch them.  Especially with most of us being asleep during the night hours because WE ACTUALLY WORK.  Best thing you can do is not leave anything of any real value in your car.  The most anyone is ever going to get out of my Bimmer is a few CD's, maybe some pocket change, and my GMAC umbrella from my back seat......which was given to me by the way.

Condolences on your loss though, pal.  This is a good lesson we could all use for being vigilant.  Oh, and one more thing: for any of you who may be leaving their cars running to run into the convenient store and grab smokes or drop your video in the slot at Blockbuster....TURN YOUR IGNITION OFF AND LOCK THE DOOR.  Thieves will stand somewhere and watch for someone to pull that and drive right off with your car.  Happened to me 12 years ago.  My car was gone......along with my H&K USP.  Needless to say I've got a dog in this fight.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Osprey is right about homeowners.  Many people think auto insurance
covers the theft of personal items from autos, it doesn't.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess I will be hearing gun shots in the nite tonite. Not far from ya.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
WHY THE FUCK DO PEOPLE STILL LEAVE WEAPONS IN VEHICLES OVERNIGHT?

X2
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Doesn't your NRA membership cover your firearms against theft?  I'm not 100% but I thought I remember something about that in the membership benefits...

Otherwise your homeowner's policy covers your weapon.  I wouldn't file a claim unless you have a total loss over $2,500 assuming you have a $1,000 deductible for "all other perils"
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Set up a supporting fire position that has some altitude!
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#18]
getting close to home..........
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Not too far from either, i'm on the west end of Ft. Caroline.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Check every pawn shop in a 50-100 mile radius. You can usually buy back your weapon if the cops wont crack down on the shop owner.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm sorry about your loss dude.............

But........

YOU SIR, ARE A DUMBASS
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 I would never leave a gun the vehicle if i didnt have to. I'd have to say you didn't have to. how are you going to protect yourself with you gun in your car.

This must be the 5th person to have a post about leaving there gun in the car
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Few minutes ride from me, San Pablo Road...having a Neptune Beach patrol car in my next door neighbors driveway sure is nice....
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#24]
all of you guys bashing this guy and calling names need to shut the fuck up.

whether you think it was a mistake or not, it is what it is. Be thankful he had the courage/decency to warn and post others..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

whether you think it was a mistake or not, it is what it is. Be thankful he had the courage/decency to warn and post others..

He did not create this post to "warn others" as you say.  He was looking for insurance advise and clarification on who enters stolen firearms into the database.  There was no "courage" or "decency" involved so I and others here don't have shit to be thankful for because of his post.

Are you now the ARFCOM police?  He did an idiotic thing that has been talked about and beat to shit on this forum countless times throughout the years.  He should of known better and needs to be ripped a new one.   He deserves it.  We will see how the anti gun crowd "shuts the fuck up" when this gun is used in an home invasion or worse yet a murder.  Lets hope it does not get used against one of your family members or anyone else here on ARFCOM.  I would like to see who would shut  the fuck up then.  All preventable of course with some simple responsible gun ownership.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't leave it in your car unless you HAVE to, and don't forget to report the wad of cash (I thought I read that?) which was also stolen.  Your insurance company will usually cover that too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He did not create this post to "warn others" as you say.  He was looking for insurance advise and clarification on who enters stolen firearms into the database.  There was no "courage" or "decency" involved so I and others here don't have shit to be thankful for because of his post.

Are you now the ARFCOM police?  He did an idiotic thing that has been talked about and beat to shit on this forum countless times throughout the years.  He should of known better and needs to be ripped a new one.   He deserves it.  We will see how the anti gun crowd "shuts the fuck up" when this gun is used in an home invasion or worse yet a murder.  Lets hope it does not get used against one of your family members or anyone else here on ARFCOM.  I would like to see who would shut  the fuck up then.  All preventable of course with some simple responsible gun ownership.

+1 on that . It doesn't take much to remember my weapon, it is my self defense! and a personal necessity IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riiight Omi.

Whether he made a mistake in your eyes or anyone elses eyes, name calling and bashing is COMPLETELY UNCALLED for. Your version of "ripped a new one" whatever the hell that may be, can be summarized nicely and efficiently in a PM.  If someone needs to go out of their way to use all that courage from behind their keyboard to "rip someone a new one", do it with a shred of tact.

Not one person here who has gone out of their way to call this guy names has actually offered constructive criticism, or asked any type of questions on why he left a pistol in the car, how he can help prevent theft in the future, how to secure the pistol efficient if he chooses to continue that route, equipment/lock boxes one could use and so fourth.

The fucking dog pack mentality of this industry/"hobby" is second to none when someone fucks up. I guess people have to feel special once or twice a day more than the average person.

To the OP, I sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#29]
This one is done .......... corners gentlemen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top