Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:54:42 PM EDT
I ordered .22LR ammo from Cabelas last week and it got here today.

I'm all excited and such tearing open the package excited to get another gun related toy.  YAY it's 500 rounds of .22LR ammo!

SHIT it's lead nosed...

Is this going to totally mess up my brand new Ruger 10/22 and Walther G22?  Or ANY of my .22LR guns?

basically... is lead nosed .22LR bad to shoot?  I don't know what to do with this ammo if it's going to shit up my guns...
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
GO To Walmart and buy the Federal 550 round packs for $11. Get the copper coated ones, i think they're hollow points, but that doesn't matter
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot nothing but all-lead .22 through my CZ-452.  Specifically, Wolf MT.  It's the best thing going... It was accurate enough that when I bought the CZ, and found that it liked the Wolf ammo, I bought all 40,000 rounds of the same lot number that I could lay my hands on.  I've put about 7,000 rounds of it down range, and have yet to clean the barrel.  Unlike most Wolf ammo, it's made in Germany, not Russia, and is accurate as hell. When I bought it, I paid $35/brick.

ETA: This was before I got married, when I had disposable income.  My point is, lead-nosed .22 is just fine, and the Wolf MT happens to be some of the best on the cost/accuracy curve.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never seen ANY .22LR round with a copper-jacketed bullet.  Most I've ever seen is copper-washed... big difference.  The copper finish on a copper-washed bullet is just that - a finish coating a couple molecules thick.  It's definitely not thick enough to keep the lead from engaging the rifling of your barrel.    Go ahead and shoot the durn bullets.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
dont believe I have ever heard of ANY .22LR that was not "lead nosed"... IT ALL IS SON!

Shoot that shit.. no such thing as a jacketed .22LR.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Back in the day before all these 'new' plated bullets, waxed lead nosed .22 is all there was. I shot it through every .22 I had from single shot bolt guns to my Nylon 66, Remington 241 and 552 Speedmasters and, High Standard auto pistols with nothing more than an occasional rudimentary cleaning.

Shoot it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:19:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I shot nothing but all-lead .22 through my CZ-452.  Specifically, Wolf MT.  It's the best thing going... It was accurate enough that when I bought the CZ, and found that it liked the Wolf ammo, I bought all 40,000 rounds of the same lot number that I could lay my hands on.  I've put about 7,000 rounds of it down range, and have yet to clean the barrel.  Unlike most Wolf ammo, it's made in Germany, not Russia, and is accurate as hell. When I bought it, I paid $35/brick.

ETA: This was before I got married, when I had disposable income.  My point is, lead-nosed .22 is just fine, and the Wolf MT happens to be some of the best on the cost/accuracy curve.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 2:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone.  sorry for my ballistic incompetence.  I guess I got all scared from a few pictures I've seen of lead build up on some peoples guns.

Well I'm back to being excited about blasting away 500 rounds of gopher killer ammo...

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah enjoy the ammo. Lead .22 is waxed it leaves wax in the barrel. the copper wash just makes it look nicer and more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone.  sorry for my ballistic incompetence.  I guess I got all scared from a few pictures I've seen of lead build up on some peoples guns.

Well I'm back to being excited about blasting away 500 rounds of gopher killer ammo...

lemme know where you find the "gophers"..
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Gotta have 20+ thousand through my FN Medallist.. 2 mins with a bore brush and Hoppes cures any and all problems caused by lead ammo
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:18:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lemme know where you find the "gophers"..

I'm originally from WV.  The land my parents own is riddled with those buck-toothed bastards.  The last thing we need is to put one of our horses down because some rodent wants to turn our land into Swiss cheese.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top