Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 5:50:12 PM EDT
I mean, besides the fact that pretty much everyone gets an army issue Sig 550 to keep in their closet, you get to do things like this without comment:

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How does one get an assignment like this?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How does one get an assignment like this?

Just be a male citizen over 18

223SAINT
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Well,

Only during Hurricane season may you get the chance...  

After the storm has past of course...

We just can't allow 80 year old grandma's with a .38 special to protect themselves...  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Im pretty sure switzerland citizens can buy new machine guns and silencers and such without a problem.....lucky bastards
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
what do you think they use to make those holes on their swiss cheese
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The manager of our Zurich office has a picture of himself with his rifle on his desk, you'd never get that here, some nancyboy would complain!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Im pretty sure switzerland citizens can buy new machine guns and silencers and such without a problem.....lucky bastards

There's a guy on sigforum.com from Switzerland, he's got a great thread with pictures of all his full auto toys on - all bought straight from the factory apparently.

IIRC it's incredibly difficult to get residency over there, and to get citizenship the locals have to vote for you!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Eh well thats cool and all they have the baddass toy's and shit, but i'd never move out of this country, i love it to much here even though there are some bullshit laws and such ('86 MG ban). Now if obamba took over and ruled with the iron fist of communism, then i'd probably consider it.

....they'd never vote me in
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I mean, besides the fact that pretty much everyone gets an army issue Sig 550 to keep in their closet, you get to do things like this without comment:

www.ragingmushroom.com/pics/switz.jpg

Hmmmm, All those guns and SOOOOOOO little crime??  I wonder how that happens??
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:15:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is because you CAN do it that you really do not NEED to do it.

Quite the opposite of many places (most?) here in the US where because you CAN NOT that you really NEED TO.

So true.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow! And Switzerland is only about 35 min from my house. I wonder if that's Publix.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wow! And Switzerland is only about 35 min from my house. I wonder if that's Publix.

Talk to the Swiss.. yeah they can own more things but you need permits for everything and also they have a higher intrusion of government in the firearms.

From Wikipedia

Carrying guns

"To carry firearms in public or outdoors (and for an individual who is a member of the militia carrying a firearm other than his Army-issue personal weapons off-duty), a person must have a Waffentragschein (weapon carrying permit), which in most cases is issued only to private citizens working in occupations such as security."

Conditions for getting a Carrying Permit

"There are three conditions:

* fulfilling the conditions for a buying permit (see section below)
   * stating plausibly the need to carry firearms to protect oneself, other people, or real property from a specified danger
   * passing an examination proving both weapon handling skills and knowledge regarding lawful use of the weapon

The carrying permit remains valid for a term of five years (unless otherwise surrendered or revoked), and applies only to the type of firearm for which the permit was issued. Additional constraints may be invoked to modify any specific permit. Neither hunters nor game wardens require a carrying permit."

Transporting guns

"Guns may be transported in public as long as an appropriate justification is present. This means to transport a gun in public, the following requirements apply:

* The ammunition must be separated from the gun, no ammunition in a magazine.
   * The transport has to be direct, ie:
         o For courses or exercises hosted by marksmanship, hunting or military organisations,
         o To an army warehouse and back,
         o To and from a holder of a valid arms trade permit,
         o To and from a specific event, e.g. gun shows."

Buying guns

"To purchase a firearm in a commercial shop, one needs to have a Waffenerwerbsschein (weapon buying permit). A permit allows the purchase of three firearms. Everyone over the age of 18 who is not psychiatrically disabled (such as having had a history of endangering his own life or the lives of others) or identified as posing security problems, and who has a clean criminal record can request such a permit. The sale of automatic firearms and selective fire weapons is forbidden (as is the sale of certain disabled automatic firearms which have been identified as easily restored to fully automatic capability), unless the buyer has a special collector's license.

To buy a gun from an individual, no permit is needed, but the seller is expected to establish a reasonable certainty that the purchaser will fulfill the above-mentioned conditions. The participants in such a transaction are also required to write down a contract detailing the identities of both vendor and purchaser, the weapon's type, manufacturer, and serial number. The law requires the written contract to be kept for ten years by the buyer and seller. The seller is also required to see some official ID from the purchaser, for such sales are only allowed to Swiss nationals and foreigners with a valid residence permit, with the exception of those foreigners that come from certain countries (Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia, Turkey, Sri Lanka, Albania, Algeria), to whom such sales are not allowed even if they do have a residence permit. Foreigners without a residence permit or from countries on the ban list must ask for a special permit.

After turning 18, any individual can buy singleshot or semiautomatic long arms (breech-loading or muzzle-loading) without a permit. Likewise, members of a recognized rifle association do not need a buying permit for purchasing antique repeaters, and hunters do not need one for buying typical hunting rifles.

Most types of ammunition are available for commercial sale, including full metal jacket bullet calibres for military-issue weapons; hollow point rounds are only permitted for hunters. Ammunition sales are registered only at the point of sale by recording the buyer's name in a bound book.

These rules will be changed — presumably in 2008 — because Switzerland will be joining the Schengen treaty; and all member countries must adapt some of their laws to a common standard. Following the draft of the Swiss government for the new Waffengesetz (weapons law), these points will change:

* Unlawful possession of guns will be punished;
   * Gun trade among individuals will require a valid buying permit (under today's law, persons with a criminal record can trade guns);
   * Every gun must be marked with a registered serial number;
   * Airsoft guns and imitations of real guns will also be governed by the new law."

Buying ammunition

"The government subsidizes the production of military ammunition and then sells the ammunition at cost. Swiss military ammo must be registered if bought at a private store, but need not be registered if bought at a range. Registration consists of entering your name in a log at the time of sale. No serial numbers are present on the individual cartridges of ammunition. Technically, ammunition bought at the range must be used at the range, but according to David Kopel "the rule is barely known and almost never obeyed."[2] Ammunition for long gun hunting is not subsidized by the government and are subject to no sales controls. Non-military non-hunting ammunition more powerful than .22 LR (such as custom handgun ammunition) is registered at the time of sale."

Sorry but I'll stay in the Great State of Florida. Plus we don't have to deal with that evil white stuff called snow.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Looks like Wakulla County
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I knew somebody else from Jax would say something about Switzerland.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top