Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 10:10:17 AM EDT
Anyone have artificial turf instead of sod?
Just wondering if anyone has this and how it holds up during a hurricane. I can imagine looking out my window and telling my wife that our lawn just blew away.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#1]

no, seriously.....
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
A good friend of mine is having his backyard done in artificial turf. He has 3 dogs and was told the mutts couldn't dig thru it (I can't wait for the 1st time they do!).

It should be done in a few weeks, so it'll be interesting for sure...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]
 Anybody remember this guy from Marco Island www.landscapedesign-build.com/ldb/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=154027
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The WSJ had a story about this several weeks ago.  I can't find it on line.  From what I remember, the idea appears to be catching on in drought stricken areas and the southwest.  

I believe some high schools and college athletic departments have been expressing concerns over health issues raised by excessive exposure to artificial turf.    I think the big concern is with the chemicals used to produce the turf.   I'm assuming it's all petroleum based ingredients.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe they were finding lead in it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The place I used to work had the artificial stuff put in instead of sod. It looked... well... fake. Nut grass and other weeds started growing in it. They had the sand put in, some kind of granulated black rubber then the artificial turf. I never really like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top