Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/6/2008 6:12:35 PM EDT
So I encountered 2 spiders today that I have never before encountered... Being from OR where the only spiders we have are small and non-venomous.

After some quick internet research I figured out what the one I killed is...  A brown widow.

I opened up my shed and there he/she was hanging right in the door way.  I had come prepared with my instant spider death spray.  It says right on the bottle in big bold letters. Kills Spiders instantly.  IT LIES.  I hit it with the spray.  It falls out of the web and begins writhing on the floor.  Then it flips over and advances on me.  I hit it again.  It curls up and appears to be dead.  I get a stick to move it around so I can take a picture of the bright orange hourglass.  I get within inches of it with my hand... then back away for moment.  Suddenly it begins moving toward me again.  IT FRICKEN PLAYED DEAD!.  Abandoning the spray I smooshed it.

And the other... I have no idea what it was... It was small, black, and had iridescent silver on it's back.  It was on a palm tree I was pruning.  I let it live.  I just hit the area near it to encourage it out of my work area.

... think I should post this in GD?
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
haha, yup tricky fast f-ers. Wait till the rainy season, they look for the high and dry land. Like your house!!

Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Brown widows are common down here. They are more venomous than the black widow.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I fkin hate spiders.
kill it with fire!
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Going back tomorrow to smash the rest of the egg sacks that I now know are egg sacks.

Anyone got any idea what the other one was?
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#5]
The only spiders that do not see my wrath are the crab, banana, & house(kinda like a daddy long legs) spiders.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 1:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
We also have 'Red' widows.

The black/silver one is one of many jumping spiders.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 2:11:39 AM EDT
[#7]
i love camping in oak hammocks,, ya get wolf spiders and other spiders that are everywhere,,,
shine your flash light att he ground outside you can see there lil beady 8 eyes lookin at ya
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 3:03:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Me no likey them either.  I act like a little bitch around them.....Use brake parts cleaner to kill me, works great...I buy it by the case from napa  plus it cleans/degreases guns well too

Oh. and we have these here too,

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#9]
For years, I never saw a brown widow only black widows. Now, the damn brown widows are everywhere. Hell I've killed 3 in the mailbox here at work.

And as for those yellow rat snakes, got so many at my house, we've gone to giving them names. Seems they take up residence and stick around. Prefer not to handle them without gloves since they tend to give off a funky odor.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And as for those yellow rat snakes, got so many at my house, we've gone to giving them names. Seems they take up residence and stick around.

If only they ate armadillos......  
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Forget the spiders they don't attack you from the sky like those skinny little twig ants. You walk along minding your own business then wamo out of nowhere you neck is being thrashed left and right. Mean little F'ers
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I had never seen any sort of widow before...  except in pictures... and there is never any size reference in those.

I had gotten in my mind that they were the size of golf balls...  At least now I know how big they really are.

Years back I found a spider hanging on a massive web over a trail.  It was neon blue and it's body was 2 inches long.  Had to have been 6-7 inches leg tip to leg tip.

I've seen black snakes slither away while I'm mowing the lawn.  I don't believe those are poisonous.  In general I consider all spiders and snakes a threat.  I'm not truly afraid of them just err on the side of caution.

So... jumping spider huh? bite? venomous?
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Forget the spiders they don't attack you from the sky like those skinny little twig ants. You walk along minding your own business then wamo out of nowhere you neck is being thrashed left and right. Mean little F'ers

Ain't shit. Wait till you get one of those stinging caterpillars down your collar. You'll look & feel like you've been whipped with stinging nettle.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#14]
i HATE spiders!  

Fireants ive found are also a pain in the butt..

i moved down here from MD about 3 yrs ago, i was here for about 3 weeks or so and i went out to my at night car (thats parked on the grass) come to find out im standing right next to an ant hole.  i ended up with about 30ish bites between both feet hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So... jumping spider huh? bite? venomous?

Harmless

Harmless ... but scary.

First, they have those two big eyes that you know can see you.  What makes them really creepy is that as you move, they will turn to keep you in front.  If you approach them they will jump AT you in a menacing way that invokes a distinct urge to step back.

I get them in my office at work every now and then.  I keep an airsoft pistol in my desk to deal with them.  My walls are pockmarked with little dents and splats from doing battle.

LL
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#17]
so you don't like spiders huh ?

I'll try and grab some pics from work.

in the meantime
found this on the internets

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Me no likey them either.  I act like a little bitch around them.....Use brake parts cleaner to kill me, works great...I buy it by the case from napa  plus it cleans/degreases guns well too

i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/bkbronco/IMG_0947.jpg
i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/bkbronco/DSC00616.jpg
i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/bkbronco/DSC00443.jpg
i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/bkbronco/DSC00639.jpg
i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/bkbronco/IMG_1652.jpg

that red n yellow one is venomous right?
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_snake
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#20]
What,????

Is that one spider with the quarter a brown recluse?????

I thought those guys were wolf spiders.

I kill like 3 a year in my house. They are Big! And very fast. Are too bold, they will walk on the floor, in the middle of the day if it quite...

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_snake

i was told once red and yellow will kill you, and red and black is friendly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#22]
My two dogs decided to play with a coral snake yesterday lucky for them the wife heard the commotion and went outside. saw the two dogs barking and advancing on the snake as it coiled up and attempted to strike.  Snake got away and dogs did not get bit but she now has snake shot in her little p22 and is enjoying the hunt.  Gotta feeling that the snake wont be back though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What,????

Is that one spider with the quarter a brown recluse?????

I thought those guys were wolf spiders.

I kill like 3 a year in my house. They are Big! And very fast. Are too bold, they will walk on the floor, in the middle of the day if it quite...

in the pics above of the common spiders, the "jumping spider" o the right, is what a lot of people call a wolf spider.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
My two dogs decided to play with a coral snake yesterday lucky for them the wife heard the commotion and went outside. saw the two dogs barking and advancing on the snake as it coiled up and attempted to strike.  Snake got away and dogs did not get bit but she now has snake shot in her little p22 and is enjoying the hunt.  Gotta feeling that the snake wont be back though.
 My Great Dane got bit by a Coral snake last year, poor thing was paralyzed for a week as I had to drag her in and out of the house to eat and do her business, I was just happy she lived.  Dumb ass dog....
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Get a spray can of some kind of oil.  I usually grab Ballistol, since that's what I keep around for my guns.  ;) The little bastards breathe through holes in their skin, and die pretty quick if you clog them up.  Works great on wasps, bees, flies, spiders, and, well, just about anything I've tried it on.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Hundreds of those little spiders come out and build their webs at night, then tear them down before daylight. I caught a few with the camera yesterday as the sun was starting to set.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I really hope you have a barn, and thaty is not your house.

I think I have some photos too.
Stand by.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 3/8/2008 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I used some MEK on a black widow and five egg sacks the other day. She didn't go far.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Cool bug pictures.  My mom has a shed that looks like Hommie's pictures.  I hate going into it.

Here's a few neat ones I have.  They're from my vacation to NC and GA a couple years ago.  Not local, but neat anyway.

Two for one pic.   Mud Dauber wasp dragging a spider to it's lair.  We watched this guy drag that spider about 20 feet through the grass and then up a chimney to his hole.  Even more amazing was we saw the same thing the next day.  Incredibly, we caught this guy (or a relative) dragging a spider a 3rd day in a row.  Through the grass, up the chimney into the hole.

Red Velvet Ant or Cow Killer Ant.  Interestingly, not a cow killer and not an ant.  It's a wasp with a very painful sting (hence the cow killer).

Stag Beetle.  Found this guy on top of Stone Mountain in GA.  I put George face down to spare him the terror.

LL
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#31]
i've seen those cow killer ants before up in NC.. i did not hesitate to step on them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Man I battled the palm trees in the yard this week.  It looks like they haven't been pruned in 5-6 years.  The pile of stuff is almost as tall as me.  I really hate palm trees... especially when they are over grown and you have to crawl under them to get to the base so you can cut the ... branches? The entire time I'm doing it I'm paranoid a spider is going to land on me or a snake come out of nowhere at me.

ETA: I'm turning this into an educate the non native thread...

Here's some pics of the pile of stuff I had to drag out of my back yard...

Then I have this bush I want to get ride off... I don't even know what it is... just that it blocks my view when trying to get out of my driveway.

I removed one in my back yard and was left with this...

Any Ideas on how to prevent regrowth and how to get all the tufts out so it doesn't look horrible...
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Man I battled the palm trees in the yard this week.  It looks like they haven't been pruned in 5-6 years.  The pile of stuff is almost as tall as me.  I really hate palm trees... especially when they are over grown and you have to crawl under them to get to the base so you can cut the ... branches? The entire time I'm doing it I'm paranoid a spider is going to land on me or a snake come out of nowhere at me.

Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#34]
so... you're saying my paranoia is well founded?

thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2008 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#35]
brothermike
did you have to get her anti venom or did she just work through it.  Just want to know incase they have a run in with one again
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I had a brown spider take up residence in my front door peep hole.  Luckily I noticed there was something weird before I put my eyeball within striking distance.  I sprayed the hole (fire in the hole!) and noticed that she had made her egg sack there overnight.

Glad I saw something wasn't right, I might have lost my dominant eye!
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I printed this thread out and put it in a folder titled "SHIT TO KILL WITH FIRE..."
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 4:49:08 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Red and Yellow will kill a fellow.
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Cool bug pictures.  My mom has a shed that looks like Hommie's pictures.  I hate going into it.

Here's a few neat ones I have.  They're from my vacation to NC and GA a couple years ago.  Not local, but neat anyway.

img337.imageshack.us/img337/8012/muddauberwithdinneris1.jpg
Two for one pic.   Mud Dauber wasp dragging a spider to it's lair.  We watched this guy drag that spider about 20 feet through the grass and then up a chimney to his hole.  Even more amazing was we saw the same thing the next day.  Incredibly, we caught this guy (or a relative) dragging a spider a 3rd day in a row.  Through the grass, up the chimney into the hole.

img168.imageshack.us/img168/7576/redvelvetantyw3.jpg
Red Velvet Ant or Cow Killer Ant.  Interestingly, not a cow killer and not an ant.  It's a wasp with a very painful sting (hence the cow killer).

Where I grerw up at in Oklahoma we used to see those everywhere in the summer months. They are nasty looking and very big. Never been stung by one and don't want to.

img518.imageshack.us/img518/7452/stagbeetleqz2.jpg
Stag Beetle.  Found this guy on top of Stone Mountain in GA.  I put George face down to spare him the terror.

LL
Link Posted: 3/20/2008 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#40]
holy shit this thread gives me the willies

I kill all spiders all spiders freak me out

Link Posted: 3/20/2008 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
holy shit this thread gives me the willies

Me too.  I have been contemplating moving to Florida for a long long time and this is not helping.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#42]
The spiders ain't nothing........  

Link Posted: 3/21/2008 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#43]
IC the spiders and snakes all the time ...  I let them be and they let me be ...  Water Moccasins are the deadliest IC all the time and I usually just barley catch their backside as they slither away.

I don't understand why you guys are acting like high school girls and grabbing anything you can to kill them.  They do a great job to keep the pests out and 99% of the time they leave you alone if you do the same ...
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Outside of my home i generally dont bother snakes/spiders or other bugs.  Insdie is a whole nother story.
Link Posted: 3/21/2008 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#45]
height=8
Quoted:
I don't understand why you guys are acting like high school girls and grabbing anything you can to kill them.  They do a great job to keep the pests out and 99% of the time they leave you alone if you do the same ...

+1Trillion

I live by a lake and I see at least two water mocs a night when it's warm enough.  This has been going on for at least 3 years.  I walk right by them and they do nothing.  They're more interested in the toads and frogs.  I have yet to feel any threat from the water mocs.

The only things I kill on a regular basis are cockroaches.  Those things are simply disgusting.  I feel like I'm on Starship Troopers or something and feel it's my American duty to destroy any and all cockroaches I see.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 6:01:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Going back tomorrow to smash the rest of the egg sacks that I now know are egg sacks.

Anyone got any idea what the other one was?

The other one was more than likely some type of "jumping" spider ... thare are many species here. all harmless.

The brown Widow is not "more poisonous" than the black... in reality they are several magnitudes lower... all the same I don't like them around the house.

So yes by all means kill the brown widows.. and yes.. fire seems to work well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
i love camping in oak hammocks,, ya get wolf spiders and other spiders that are everywhere,,,
shine your flash light att he ground outside you can see there lil beady 8 eyes lookin at ya

My daughter is all into that now... when we camp, she goes out at night with a headlamp and hunts them down...LOL
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 6:09:03 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Cute little coral... you didn't kill him did you?

the black widows... hell bring your brake-kleen.. got some for ya here.

the housekeeper spider is about HALF grown...LOL

Cool yellow rat... have you ever seen the ones around the edges of the glades?

I road hunt herps... the ones around the glades are really pretty... the yellow on them is like one of the bright yellow road signs. Genetically they are really pure and almost a distinct sub-species. The same goes for the green snakes... the ones in the edges of the state are kinda drab green with white or cream undersides, when you get them out from around the glades they are a very bright emerald green with super yellow bellies and sides... really neat to see.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 6:10:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

quoted for stinging truth!
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
The spiders ain't nothing........  

i25.tinypic.com/jsozeu.jpg

Yeah right... I am so tired of being woken up at night thinking someone is trying to get in my door only to find out that its a gator that is lost.

The ones that sneak up and wait for a snack outside the doggie door are getting more and more bold though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top