Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2007 3:06:58 AM EDT
I am heading down to spend some time in Miami and the Keys for vacation. I let my CCW lapse and I have not renewed it yet so I dont have reciprocity going for me. After reading what is and is not allowed I came upon a term I am not sure of and I want to get it straight before I screw something up.

I can apparently carry a firearm in a vehicle but if it is a pistol it must be "secured". Would someone please clarify this for me? Does this mean in a locked case? just in a case? is the glove box ok?

Thank you for your input, dont wanna come down on the bad side of the law here.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
In the glovebox, in a center console with a latch, anywhere in a zipped or latched case, anywhere in a snapped holster. I personally carry mine in the center console.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 3:48:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 4:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Just go to the 2nd thread from the top titled "Florida Gun Laws" and go to definitions. You'll get an answer to your question.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Whatever turns you on!
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't like taking anyones WORD for it so here is what the LAW states.

You can find it in its entirety here:

www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0790/ch0790.htm

(3)  LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(l)  A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person's manual possession;

(5)  POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
3 Steps...

haha, jk. ...

Cmon somebody had to say it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
And if i am correct which i believe that i am Velcro doesn't count!
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
3 Steps...

I argued with a cop about this not to long ago ...
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 4:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3 Steps...

How'd that work out for ya?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
3 Steps...

How'd that work out for ya?

I have up -- he was a hard headed prick ... I even showed him the statue and he kelp insisting on the 3 step rule.  It was at a gunstore so its not like he was looking to add cuffs to that days outfit ...
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#13]
like some have mentioned, just because a LEO says something doesn't make it true.

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

velcro is a step
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

velcro is a step

Please tell me your joking ????????  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top