Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2007 10:20:30 AM EDT
I have never been to the Keys and my family would like to take a few days down there.

Whats the best time to go/place to stay so we can do it as cheapley as possible?

We still want to swim so winters out, thinkin' right after spring break or late summer/early fall.

Any help is needed and appreciated
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Marathon is fairly nice for the Keys.

Stay away from the last week in July thru The 1st week in September. Thats the begining of lobster season and its crazy as hell down there. Prices seem to go up during that time also.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Its cheaper off season, I would suggest May or June. The seas are flat by then and only the locals are going down. A lot of places will raise there rates on the weekends year round. During the week is usually less crowed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in the Keys do you want to go?  All the way to KW, or somewhere along the way?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Where in the Keys do you want to go?  All the way to KW, or somewhere along the way?

I dont know shit about the keys. I just want beautiful translucent blue water and white beaches, MAYBE go see 'Margaritaville', but I probably cannot afford Key Wests prices
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife and I go to Key West every couple of years just to get away for a few days. I've always had a decent time down there. If you could be more specific about what you want to do and see and the amount of time you will spend there, I could be more specific as to places to stay and things to see. My experience has been that nothing is really inexpensive. Food is high priced but I never had a bad meal in Key West. Just remember that a good part of the population of Key West are a little lite in the loafers so be prepared.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Bring lots of money. You'll need it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I like Bahia Honda and Big Pine Key.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:49:59 AM EDT
[#8]
like Phantomphixer said, there isn't much that's inexpensive in the Keys.  

if you go to KW, you can probably find cheaper rooms in the "New Town" part, which is the part of KW right as you come off US1.  However, there isn't anything worth seeing/eating in New Town, so  you'll have to drive to the "Old Town" part every time you want to see/eat, which will suck because parking is limited.  If your party is all adults, there are several very nice bed & breakfasts in the Old Town.  

I can personally recommend Simonton Court and The Banyan.  They are very close to everything, so you can park your car when you arrive & not have to drive again until you leave.  Banyan is better than Simonton in that Banyan has on-site parking, while Simonton has a garage a few blocks away.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#9]
We'll just be their for around 2 full days, the day before and the day after is dedicated to travel time, so 3 nights 2 days-

Travel Hotel Full day Hotel full day Hotel Travel

Were simple people so fancy isnt important, and we are modtly going for the water and beaches anyway
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#10]
The beach at KW didn't impress me. I would say that if the water and the beach is your forte, then pick another one of the keys other than KW. As much as I like the water, I was never a beach person. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]
The Keys don't really have beaches per se.  They have shoreline where they've trucked in a bunch of sand and created a beach, but be prepared for no surf, various vegetation, and maybe rocks or oyster beds.  If you're really interested in a true beach, try further up on the east or west coasts.  The Keys have plenty of scenery, neat restaurants on the water, fishing, scuba diving, night life (Key West), etc, but the beaches really aren't the big attraction.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Where up the west(Gulf) coast would you recommend, closer is always good(im in Tampa BTW) if not the keys
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Anna Maria Island (West of Bradenton) has some nice beaches.

Ft DeSoto (West of St Pete) had one of the best beaches in the state, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Siesta Key Beach (Sarasota)!?
Just like Osprey's suggestions, should be a day-trip for you!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep - Siesta Key (Sarasota) and Ft. Desoto park  (St. Petersburg) are consistantly ranked in the top 10 beaches in the nation.  Siesta Key will generally have a few more people and Ft. Desoto is fairly secluded.  If you want more of the party scene - try Clearwater Beach.  If you want to be very secluded, try Caladesi Island near Dunedin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top