Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2006 12:27:23 PM EDT
So, I've been in Jax for a few months now, and I'm having some getting some of the information I usually like to have about the city I live in. I've found a lot of the places I *want* to go, but I'm having some difficulty assembling a list of places I *don't* want to go.

It's kinda stressfull when I'm out driving at night, and I suddenly find myself in the middle of a, shall we say, "unpleasant area". I've tried my usual methods, police crime maps, property value maps, etc, but they don't seem to paint a complete picture of the city. And most of my friends in Jax grew up in the rich-people part of Ortega, so they have led slightly sheltered lives, and aren't a lot of help.

So I put the question to you guys: Where are the bad parts of Jacksonville? Where do the scumbags roam? Where should I keep my carry piece ready for action if I find myself accidentally there?
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Northwest, Downtown, Sin City & Justina for starters.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry pretty much anywhere I go.  That said, I've never felt all that unsafe just about anywhere.  I suppose Oceanway would be a good place to avoid unless you had to go there.  I have family-in-law off of Norwood, which is on the north side of town.  Not the best of places either.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Avoid anyplace close to downtown and just about the whole Northside.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Northwest, Downtown, Sin City & Justina for starters.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If your rolling around town at night you can run into unfreindlies just about anywhere now days, and it will probably be were you least expect it. For the most part Jacksonville and the surrounding areas are pretty safe. Just keep your eyes open and don't look like prey.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Avoid the whole town entirely.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
Avoid the whole town entirely. hat.
Between the horrid traffic, the general ass-hats that seem to be the majority of the population, and the state-record holding homicide rate, I'm having a blast.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Avoid the whole town entirely.

Amen to that.

Between the horrid traffic, the general ass-hats that seem to be the majority of the population, and the state-record holding homicide rate, I'm having a blast.

Maybe it's because I'm just a small town kid, but I am particularly nervous in Jax. I all but walk around with my hand on my piece.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 4:17:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
do a little research on the assailants AND the victims, and you may decide that its not all that big of a deal after all (for the most part).

I'd have to agree with that. With a few exceptions its bad guys killing bad guys.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
do a little research on the assailants AND the victims, and you may decide that its not all that big of a deal after all (for the most part).

I'd have to agree with that. With a few exceptions its bad guys killing bad guys.

I have learned that that is the case most everywhere. Particularly regarding crimes such as murder and car theft, the numbers lie.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
Oh, and regarding the current homicide rate......do a little research on the assailants AND the victims, and you may decide that its not all that big of a deal after all (for the most part). h,
The only bearing it has on me is the knowledge that, given my luck, I'll end up in the wrong place, wrong time, and get in the middle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, just read Jax is the 9th angriest city in the country. Orlando made #1. Way to go!
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#15]
All the areas are equally dangerous if you ask me
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I also grew up in Oceanway and it's not bad at all, their are some scumbags in the area, like anywhere else.  As for bad areas, I'll list a few from areas I'm familiar with.

Northside:
Dunn Ave. from about i-95 to Lem Turner, it's a mix, but has some bad areas if you leave the main road, Harts Rd. is the worst.

Lem Turner from Dunn Ave. South all the way to well, ALL THE WAY...is pretty much horrible, it leads you straight into HELL (Northwest side).

Oceanway has a couple of areas with some thieving pieces of trash.  Kaleel Rd. off of Farm Rd. in the Dunn Creek area had a whole group of shitheads that liked to steal alot living there, I'm sure they are still there.  The one thing about Oceanway is the growth it is experiencing, some of the folks around there aren't aware that segregation is over.

Arlington:  Justina area.  Pretty much every apartment complex over there is a shit hole.

Beaches:  Mayport, Jacksonville Beach (south of Beach Blvd. just off of A1A).

Southside:  Philips Hwy from the north end to pretty much University Blvd. is crap.  Particulary Emerson St. and Philips/St. Augustine Rd. area.

Mandarin: A mix in my opinion. Pretty Good area overall. Most of the Apartments on Sunbeam have problems.  This area seems to attract criminals, they go there to steal.

Westside/Northwest Side:  Lane Ave./Miss Muffet Area.  103rd./Old Middleburg area., Cassat/San Juan area, Lenox/Lake Shore area.  LABELLE is a bad one, runs off Cassat.

The northwest side I-10 west of the river and north to Dunn Ave is the worst part of Jacksonville IMHO.  That will cover where most of your murders are occuring.

Springfield(Downtown):  Main, from downtown north to the river.  Don't venture down there unless you have to.

All in all if you stay on the Main Roads and dont venture off into any neighborhoods you aren't familiar with, you'll be ok.  The city is overcrowded so it's got it's problems obviously, which is why I live in Baker County and work in Jax.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I also grew up in Oceanway and remember when Dunn Ave was 2 lanes!

In fact we built the first fast food restaurant in Dunne Ave, back in 1973 I think it was.

Crime is the reason we moved away it has gotten progressively worse the whole town used to be small section were ok but as the crime gets worse the people move out and the criminal element moves with them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top