Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 9:45:38 AM EDT
Well I was at the range today with my ltr + gen 2 mark 4 3.5-10x and everything was goin great until about 10 shots in to it my scope fogged up so bad I could hardly make out the 100 yard target. A guy there was telling me its from my badger mount saying its transferring heat to the scope which seemed pretty believable until he told me he could put 10 shots of his 30'06 in a 1/2" group at 500 yards. Any help would be appreciated, it was a BRIGHT day but a $50 scope in the lane next to me was crystal clear.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Fogged-up on the inside of the lens, or the outside?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
maybe all the hot air the guy was blowing was what fogged up your scope.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
That is bullshit if the scope is a good brand. What brand is the scope? If it is a cheap knock off sell it or use it for a target after spending some good money on some good glass. It could be a defective scope , e-mail the company and let them know about the problem. OUT. Tuna
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
As im looking through it now, its as clear as daylight. Its a mark 4 3.5-10x with gen 2 mil-dots, so its not a total POS. I'm gonna take it out again next Thursday and see if it has the same problem, if it does ill follow Tuna's advice and let Leupold or Premier know about this problem.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As im looking through it now, its as clear as daylight. Its a mark 4 3.5-10x with gen 2 mil-dots, so its not a total POS. I'm gonna take it out again next Thursday and see if it has the same problem, if it does ill follow Tuna's advice and let Leupold or Premier know about this problem.

Oh so it has Premier rectical in it I see. If it does it again I would call them for sure the Nitrogen might have leaked out. I shoot my scoped rifles more then ten rounds and most have Leupolds on them and never seen any kind of fogging with them. Keep us posted. OUT. Tuna Oh this would been better in the Optical forum.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
maybe all the hot air the guy was blowing was what fogged up your scope.

You got that right!  Yeah I can usually group hit 1/2" at 500 yards too.  Of couse I use a super accurate Wasr 10 with 4x Tasco Value Club scope and extra extra accurate hand loaded rounds.  

My friend, in all sincerity - if the scope is fogged - it's the SCOPE not the mounting hardward.  

Now I gotta get back to my video games where I'm killing Niji's by the hundreds, I'm an ex seal ya know.... that was AFTER I was a airforce fighter pilot.  ETA, I was a fighter pilot before becoming a seal but AFTER I worked undercover for the govt.  Cant tell ya what dept.  Top secret ya know.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Wait a second. Your thread title is about mirage...but then you use the word "fog"....

It is very common that a string of shots will heat the barrel enough to where the heat wafting off the barrel will create nasty mirage through your scope view (as it's right in line with it). This can happen with any type of handguard or tube. I've seen people use tin foil to avoid this at the range..they lay a whole sheet across their handguards and barrel. slightly folded like an upside down V or basically like a roof profile.

Fog would mean that the scope is damaged, ie, the nitrogen leaked out and conditions created some type of fog or condensation inside/outside the scope. I find this hard to believe on a scope like that.

BTW, the dude telling you about the 1/2" group is delusional. Someone that out of touch with reality, or that dishonest isn't someone I'd want to shoot next to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top