Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 12:44:11 AM EDT
For those interested, here's how our meeting went this month.  First off, our attempts at reserving the Osceola range were shot down, so we set a date in hopes that we'd beat the crowd and get the range to ourselves.

We arrived at Osceola around 1500.  By 1520 or so we had the targets set and were doing our warmups.  Next we started in on our first drills; which is when other shooters started to show.  This completely halted our "non-traditional" shooting.  For the rest of the day we had to resort to the more traditional bench and prone shooting.  Oh well, such is life on a public range...

Good turn out this month with 6 guys.  One driving 3 hours to meet up!!  We got to test some target stands and ideas.  Ultimately the stands were destroyed by frustrated shooters.  1x2's make decent precision targets, and chopping them down can be a good time.  Anyway, we found that they did work very well, despite them being destroyed.

With more social time vs. drill time, we got a chance to test out each others weapons and optics.  We had a pretty good range, varying from AK's of varying caliber, AR's with various attachments, ACOGs, Aimpoints, a Socom, a HK91, various Glocks, etc.

Overall, the day was a bit disappointing, but we made the best of it.  Anyway, they say a pic is worth 1,000 words, so here is about a 8K essay....

The session started with some warmup:

Then we started running some drills:

Then once we started sharing the range, we went to some precision work:

Finally, we ended with a group hug to make it all better:

I'm a bit lacking on pics because to be honest, I was a little too ticked off to take pictures.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
ticked off over what..

not getting a range date....
a public range with public shooters?

nota flame just asking
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I take you guys have been to the FDCC held on the last Sunday of every month up at Osceola?  They managed to reserve the very range you shot on the very last Sunday.  If you haven't been there, I suggest you check it out.

Click here to see a video or here to check out their website.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#3]
All of the information on our shoot is found here  
Our shoots are more based on tactics and combining our Military / L.E.O backrounds.

We go there with some skills and leave with more skills, that is the beauty of having so many backrounds in one place.

So far the shoots have gone great and they seem to be getting better...

Out hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Ticked cuz I was in a bad mood.  Really bad day for me over and above the inconveniences of not having the range to ourselves.  We did have a good time, but it was not what we intended.

FWIW, my wife and I spent a lot of time with FDCC and I know all about it.  I don't go any more for a few reasons.  I have nothing against them, it just doesn't work out for me anymore.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ticked cuz I was in a bad mood.  Really bad day for me over and above the inconveniences of not having the range to ourselves.  We did have a good time, but it was not what we intended.

FWIW, my wife and I spent a lot of time with FDCC and I know all about it.  I don't go any more for a few reasons.  I have nothing against them, it just doesn't work out for me anymore.

Any chance you might wanna IM me with those reasons? Not trying to start anything. I just would like to know so we can improve our matches if possible.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
M4Real,
 IM sent.

For everyone else.  I want to be clear.  I am not trying to bash FDCC.  My schedule and personal preferences just do not flow with the FDCC shoots.

We are not trying to compete or takeaway anything from FDCC.  It has been a great thing for the community and I hope it continues to flourish!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Neeglik,

Give us a heads up next time you guys head out there.  My schedule doesn't always pan out for making the FDCC shoots but I'd like to join you guys if time allows (and if you're inclined to have more people along).  That shooting from the bench crap is so boring once you've done anything slightly more dynamic.

Kevin
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I will one day get to pop off some rounds with you folks. Again came off a 14 hour at 0830 and could get the sleep I needed. Keep meeting one day I'll get there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep watching this forum (Florida Hometown).  Once we set a date for each month, we are posting it here.

I'm going to get the discussion started soon on our next meet date and location.

Stephen
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.  I'll try to make the first shoot that I can, as long as I have the day off.

Non-standard shooting drills are my favorite way to kill an afternoon.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top