Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 12:14:11 PM EDT
Our modest camp

Lars (MiamiARfan) Looking over the equipment

The arsenal (3 AR's, several 9mm and 45 pistols, a M1 carbine and a Mossberg 590)

Also featuring Joey's Mauser

Set up for some long range shooting.

Joey (JoeyA) Blasts the targets

Lars and Dan (danpass) Hit a full Pepsi can (notice the mist downrange)

Another installment of the Pepsi challenge

More blasting

We even did some penetration tests on the steel target frames.  To quote Old Painless, "Pistol rounds are pistol rounds, and rifle rounds are rifle rounds."  The 9mm and .45 penetrated the same (not at all) and the .223 and 8mm went through like the frame wasn't there.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you fellas had a lot of fun today. Hopefully, I can be in on the action the next go round!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
We had a great time.  Lars took a bunch of pics too, so I assume he'll have them posted up here soon.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice shots. I wish I could have been there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad you guys were able to get some trigger time on such a fine day.

I sure wish I had the day off.

JoeyA, when the SHTF don't forget to drop that rear elbow. You don't wanna get winged!

Nap, the bayo on the shottie is the shiz-nit!
Definately a liberal bedwetters nightmare.

HS1
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

JoeyA, when the SHTF don't forget to drop that rear elbow. You don't wanna get winged!

HS1

yea ya yea, I was just trying to get her sighted in & broken in a bit....but you need to get your ass out here next time
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

yea ya yea, I was just trying to get her sighted in & broken in a bit....but you need to get your ass out here next time

I know! Unfortunately I can't say no to OT on the weekend. Work is the root of all evil....toys that is!

I'm surprised how open the land is out there. Having a range with 200 yards is a rarity in SFL.

I'll try my damnest to make the next shoot!

HS1
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I found out too late last night, already had plans.  If you guys decide to do this again, post it and let us now.

Checked the faces pretty close, no one I know.  We'll work on that.

The weather couldn't have been better.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Where was the shoot - i must have missed the announcement :(

Judging by the ground it looks like others aren't cleaning up their mess.  That's gonna end things eventually.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Judging by the ground it looks like others aren't cleaning up their mess.  That's gonna end things eventually.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=10&t=224908

we had been planning it all week
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

well, its been like that since long before I got there, and that was laround 2001. Genrally the only trash left behind is brass, and then once in awhile who ever skeet shoots(a rarity) leaves what you see on the floor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well, its been like that since long before I got there, and that was laround 2001. Genrally the only trash left behind is brass, and then once in awhile who ever skeet shoots(a rarity) leaves what you see on the floor.

Yeah, the skeet-shooting elitist snob crowd sure is the yellow armpit stain in the world of white t-shirt wearing gun owning America.

We leave steel or brass. They leave plastic.

I'm all for cleaning up the public land we use for our shooting ventures.

HS1
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice to see that this happened.  I was in Key West all weekend, but I'm going to try to make the next shoot.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Nice to see that this happened.  I was in Key West all weekend, but I'm going to try to make the next shoot.  

well I'd like to go again sometime before 4/4, because thats when my classes, start, and ocne that starts i'll be a slave to school/work with the ocassional sunday off. So i'm sure i'll be rustling up the boys to go out again, if they dont beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#15]
nice pics and post..that was'nt a range, where did ya'll go shooting? Tell the guy with his elbow out, tuck it in or he's gonna hurt himself if he ever decides to shoot FA that way.

Edited to add, looks like a couple of you need to tuck those elbows/shoulders in ,unless your shooting a shotgun...if he ever decide to go FA, you're gonna wish you changed your stance and shoulder discipline.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
nice pics and post..that was'nt a range, where did ya'll go shooting? Tell the guy with his elbow out, tuck it in or he's gonna hurt himself if he ever decides to shoot FA that way.

Edited to add, looks like a couple of you need to tuck those elbows/shoulders in ,unless your shooting a shotgun...if he ever decide to go FA, you're gonna wish you changed your stance and shoulder discipline.

well bring one with you Pain = not doing it again
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll be checking this board to see when the next time is that you're going to meet up there.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're also gonna have hard time keeping it on target too...you'd be amazed at the power of a FA AR going through a 30 rounder. The MP5 is a little better but you still need the discipline and stance...once you get used to it, it will become second nature.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're also gonna have hard time keeping it on target too...you'd be amazed at the power of a FA AR going through a 30 rounder. The MP5 is a little better but you still need the discipline and stance...once you get used to it, it will become second nature.

well learnin' proper FA stance is definatly motivation to learn
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

So True NGman.  I'm guilty of the elbow thing as well. (not to mention having to remember to keep m gut sucked in too)  It's really hell getting old  [%|  This is my first AR and I can use all of the constructive comments I can get.  You're welcome to come out and shoot/coach whenever we go out next.  

A couple of other locals have indicated that they would be interested in the next one and I think that based on Sunday, that will be sooner rather than later.  

Anybody who wants to can send me an email with their name, and email address and I'll put together a mailing list  so that I can email the South (and North) Daders for the next time we go in addition to posting it in the Florida Hometown Forum.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So True NGman.  I'm guilty of the elbow thing as well. (not to mention having to remember to keep m gut sucked in too)  It's really hell getting old  [%|  This is my first AR and I can use all of the constructive comments I can get.  You're welcome to come out and shoot/coach whenever we go out next.  

A couple of other locals have indicated that they would be interested in the next one and I think that based on Sunday, that will be sooner rather than later.  

Anybody who wants to can send me an email with their name, and email address and I'll put together a mailing list  so that I can email the South (and North) Daders for the next time we go in addition to posting it in the Florida Hometown Forum.

I would love to go shooting with you south florida guys..I live in Northwest Fl (Destin) and do get to go south from time to time. As far as shooting, I spend 1 day a week with our local SWAT team, I just learned/trained on how to do quite a number of gunplay/handling methods the past couple of months. They are teaching me how to clear rooms and basic CQB protocol right now. A wealth of infromation even after owning AR's and AK's for a number of years now. You'd be amazed at how you can acquire targets and keep your balance with a weapon just by the way you hold the weapon and stand. The "un-natural" way of shooting will become the natural after training.

I am supposed to be going down the first of April...so we'll see.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]

here is the thread!

Wow, good pic of my Beretta in full recoil, thanks MiamiARfan!

Like that 8MP digital SLR
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#23]
some pics taken by danpass

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#24]
more danpass pics

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Just a short post here about our shoot.

Participants:
1. Napoleon_Tanerite
2. JoeyA
3. MiamiARFan
4. danpass

Weapons:
1. AR15 with ACOG, Mossberg 12ga pump (with bayonet ), Beretta 92, Kel-Tec
2. AR15, 8mm Mauser (BOOM ), Beretta 92
3. AR15, 1911, Taurus Millenium, S&W Model 659 9mm and Walther P22
4. M1 Carbine with subsequently broken mag catch , Beretta 92
any others?

Lessons Learned:
A.  Its fun shooting without any specific range rules

B.  Its fun shooting with laid-back people who understand firearm safety (hence not needing any cast-iron range rules )

C.  Its fun shooting as fast or as slow as you want, and its not any dangerous to fire fast. HA!

D.  Crosswinds really affect bullet travel

E.  Headwinds affect bullet travel

F.  Tailwinds affect bullet travel

G.  There was a lot of wind

H.  It is still possible to hit the small gong about 250yds out using an AR15 with an ACOG (good work N_T)

I.  It is surprisingly easy to put rounds on target while walking, changing mags and shooting rapidly while using a Beretta 92

J.  Sealed, shaken-up, Pespi cans do make a nice cloud but not like one-gallon water jugs (we didn't have any jugs, see Box-of-Truth)

K.  It IS possible to shoot an AR15 one-handed, ghetto style for multiple rounds.

J.  It is NOT possible to shoot a 12ga one-handed, ghetto style for multiple rounds (what I mean is that it falls out of your hand on the first shot)

L.  Even at close range, pistol rounds (45 or 9mm) will NOT penetrate 1/4" thick steel, neither will buckshot.

M.  Rifle rounds will pretty much penetrate anything and multiple rounds will chip away at concrete pretty well

N.  Bayonets penetrate paper and carboard very easily (accurate too )

O.  It was a good thing we brought water and Gatorade to drink

P.  Its good to have more ammo than you need

Q.  It is surprisingly easy to put rounds on target while walking, changing mags and shooting rapidly while using a rifle

R.  You can eat a food bar, chew and still put rounds on target, one-handed, using a Beretta 92

S.  A plastic bottle shoved onto the end of a vertical stick is surprisingly durable.  Multiple pistol, rifle and shotgun rounds fired at it, all at the same time (think the Predator movie), at less than 10feet, do not knock it down (lots of holes, but it stays put )

T.  The legend about ricochets is way over-rated .  Blowing up concrete blocks is a different matter .

U.  Tracer rounds are still visible during the day

V.  Bump-firing is cool

W.  Rounds go fast when bump-firing

X.  An assistant was required to keep mags loaded

Y.  Having a canopy, large table, and some chairs made life A LOT easier (thanks MiamiARfan).

Z.  It was a beautiful sunny day and shooting was fun .  Major thanks go to JoeyA
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:28:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I read the list & it seems like you guys were missing the most important thing:  a BBQ!!!!

I have a small portable grill that I can bring if I can ever find time to get away from my domestic duties.  

Keep me on the list for updates on the next meet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes someone email me or shoot me a PM I hardly check this part of AR15.  Im located in Kendall FL and hate going to trailglades.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yes someone email me or shoot me a PM I hardly check this part of AR15.  Im located in Kendall FL and hate going to trailglades.  

Anyone who wants to be notified by email as well of the next shoot (which I'm sure will be sooner rather than later) drop me an email and I'll add your email to my SDade shooters distribution list and send out the next invite via email as well as by posting on the forum.

BTW Danpass:  I also had a S&W Model 659 9mm and Walther P22
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Then you need to know about my spot just south of Kendall Dr. off Krome ave.

Shoot to your hearts content. At times, 4x4 is a necessity. During the dry months ie now,
it's no problem.

IM me and i'll try my damnest to explain where it is.

HS1
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone who wants to be notified by email as well of the next shoot (which I'm sure will be sooner rather than later) drop me an email and I'll add your email to my SDade shooters distribution list and send out the next invite via email as well as by posting on the forum.

BTW Danpass:  I also had a S&W Model 659 9mm and Walther P22

List updated
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm so close to where you guys where shooting if I had known I would have diffenilty made it. Put me down for the next shoot
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm so close to where you guys where shooting if I had known I would have diffenilty made it. Put me down for the next shoot

whats close?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#33]
outside of florda city city limits. 187ave and360 ST to be exact
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#34]
damn, that is pretty close
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#35]
where are you guys located
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
where are you guys located

south dade county.  i'm in coral gables a block from U Miami.

the shoot location was off card sound road headed toward the keys
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#37]
good ole west perrine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#38]
highstrung is the place that your refering to the field on the right  right after the train tracks when your going south on krome right past kendell dr?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:06:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
highstrung is the place that your refering to the field on the right  right after the train tracks when your going south on krome right past kendell dr?

yes, all the way in the back of a farm field
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top