Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 7:28:42 PM EDT
So I can pretty much shoot anywhere indoors with my little .22.  But let's say I have a series of Action Target 8" Bobbers (reactive steel) and I want to setup and shoot on my own.  Or maybe I have a tall carboard box and some paper targets I've printed at home.  I've read the PBC county ordinance and found a map of where you can and cannot discharge a firearm (Chap 28, Article II, Div 2).  Now, there is some nice open land West of that black line but it is all either Wildlife Management Areas or some other government protected land.  The rest is privately owned.  Is this the future of shooting, having to pay for the targets, the ammo, and the right to shoot - just to be chewed out by some range nazi.  I know the lucky folks in other states just drive outside of an earshot, maybe even between two big hills, and spend the day getting to know their favorite pieces.  Unfortunately everything at this end of Florida is _flat_ and  either sold or protected - or in the case of WMAs, both!  And you can't shoot on a WMA...unless you're hunting...with a shotgun...and licensed to do so...and it's during hunting season.  Perhaps there was a previous run of sloppy, dangerous shooters causing an uproar and leaving a mess behind.  But why should I have to pay the price for their actions.

So I have the right to own a gun but I have to pay a private company by the hour to use it?

Yes, the PBSO outdoor range is an option, once a month, and about an hour drive.  But talk about anal ROs...

[/rant]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#1]

And you can't shoot on a WMA...unless you're hunting...with a shotgun...and licensed to do so...and it's during hunting season.

Wanna bet?

These were all held at Babcock Webb Wildlife Management Area in Punta Gorda.    
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
OK thats cool that your rules are different, but check out my local WMA
myfwc.com/hunting/wma/South_Region/05-06_CORBETT.pdf

See GUNS #4 and #13
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#3]
And here's the response I got from Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation:
No target shooting allowed on public land. There are private ranges you may contact. You might try Markham in Sunrise at 16001 W State Road 84, 959.389.2005 or your local Sheriff Department. Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats pretty much it for Palm Beach...there is Pops range down in western broward, which is a private range where you can pretty much set up anything you want and shoot, and no ROs to police you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
S.E. Florida completely SUCKS for outdoor shooting.

I know, not real helpful....but when I moved back here after 14 years in the PacNW, I was stunned at the total lack of available land to shoot on.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Considering the size of the state, the vast distance between civilized areas, and the general 'southern' culture (excluding the largest metro cities), you'd think we'd have a whole lot of places to dump bodies...err...shoot guns legally without pissing anyone off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top