Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 12:45:55 PM EDT
I want to increase my reel's line capacity and have been reading up about mixing braded lines such as Spectra or Spider Wire with mono line.  I believe this has been termed "Top Shot".

By using say 40Lb test braded line, which has the diameter of about 10 Lb. test mono +/-, I can get a hell of a lot more line on the reel, topping off with about 100 yards of the same Lb. test mono so I still have some shock absorbtion for hard charges by the fish.

Has anyone been doing this?

Has it worked?

What knot are you using to join the two lines?

Has the fiber line "cut through" the mono at the knot joint under pressure?

I figured that after a hard days fishing, I could replace the mono and the braded line will well outlast the mono.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Two words (and skip the mono overlay)  PowerPro!

Use a mono base topped with PowerPro coupled to a mono "Bimini Twist" leader as your shock leader, then tie on your terminal leader. That way all the power is where you need it most, up close to the boat. Join the two lines with a double Uni-Knot.

Fish On!!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
U should lay some mono on the bottom then U can tape over it with some electrical tape becuase U are going from heavy line to lighter line this will help the braid from not digging in the spool. I use Power Pro. Lighter drag is good for the charging fish. If you are fishing deep go heavier then the 40 lb. Be careful when using the stuff it is easy to knot up on the light stuff, and watch the hands. I caught a nice channel cat in my aunts pond one day it was about 12 lbs.. I whipped the catfish, but when I landed him he rolled around some and INBEDDED the line into my finger hurts like hell. I love the line it is fun at first when you go flounder fishing with the stuff and everything fells like a bite. the 10lb Dia is grweat for the creeks and inshore. I use  the 20 dia. for offshore fishing. I have not use it for trolling yet so cant tell U that. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, so both of your are saying put the mono on FIRST, not on top as some articles suggest?

I'm thinking of using either 40 or 50 Lb test braided line on a few Penn 113H reels.  That way, I hope to get at least 400 + yards of line on the reel.  In the past, line strength has not been the issue whereas line length has.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies, so both of your are saying put the mono on FIRST, not on top as some articles suggest?

I'm thinking of using either 40 or 50 Lb test braided line on a few Penn 113H reels.  That way, I hope to get at least 400 + yards of line on the reel.  In the past, line strength has not been the issue whereas line length has.

Yes mono bottom. 4/0 is a big reel. What are U fishing for with them?   Iwould go at least the 50 then you can do it all with it. But U Fish in the South me here the water is darker so heavier stuff is not to much of a issue. Unless U want to catch big SNAPS. Just remmeber to let off the drag trolling. No streach with the stuff so that is were the shock line comes in to play.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes mono bottom. 4/0 is a big reel. What are U fishing for with them?   Iwould go at least the 50 then you can do it all with it. But U Fish in the South me here the water is darker so heavier stuff is not to much of a issue. Unless U want to catch big SNAPS. Just remmeber to let off the drag trolling. No streach with the stuff so that is were the shock line comes in to play.

I generally troll for Kings, Bonita, Dolphin, etc, have even managed to boat a Baracuda.  I fish mostly off Panama City, 20 to 40 miles off shore.  When way out, Wahoo are there but I have yet to boat one.  I suspect that it was a nice Wahoo that got away from us last year, but that's another story .  Last year was the first time I went to the 40+ mile marker (250+ feet deep).  I am limited because all I have personally is a 19' Trophy CC.  With a few extra gas cans, 50 miles out is a snap .  

Now that my brother has his 2510 Pro-Line re-powered and ready to go, I'm looking to get better equipted.  He has 4 of the Penn 114's.  With diesel power and 155 gallons of fuel, we can easily do 50-80 miles out.

I like to troll with various "Feather Dusters" with a cigar minnow attached and lures such as the Stretch 30's.  I also like to use down-plainers as well.  My brother has even gotten into making his own Marlin rigs and is going to show me how to use kites.

Fishing off the Gulf coast down here has been less actractive than off Panama.  Here, 20 miles out get you in about 30' of water.  I do plan to try off Daytona this summer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I would say heavier for sure in your case you better has some gloves unless U have some heavy mono leaders attached to your spreads. The line is bad on the hands the small stuff anyway. I use to make fishing lure for C&H Lures for 3 years. I love to fish. I made the Purple and Black #18 color Hacksaw that caught the World record dolphin that was caught in the Bahamas. Here is a 30 lbs range Carp I caught right before hurricane Katrina cleaned up,  I mean hit. It was cuaght on 6 lb. test and a #10 hook.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top