Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 4:20:26 AM EDT
I've never owned a boat, but have operated several boats inland and in the gulf and am looking to buy a boat in 2006 - any suggestions?

Min requirements are a galley, head and one room. But I know nothing about diesel vs gas for engines, or storage requirements, etc.

I've been flipping through Boat Trader for the past few months and prices really vary, and I guess my initial choice will be the most boat for the least dollar - which means "used". Probably a Bayliner, or Wellcraft.

Thanks for everthing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#1]
First question: Are you actually goin to USE this boat? Id venture to say 80% or better of ppl with boats only use them ONCE a year if that. Its a big hole to throw money into IMO. Id luv to have a boat, but realistically know I wouldnt use it that much, esp. with gas prices. A boat will suck gas worse than a top fuel dragster. lol. When you are on the boats its an absolute pleasure (if things all go well). but those are usually fleeding memories when ya gotta deal with payment, insurance, maintance, space to put it, tow vehicle, gas, etc. etc. etc.

Otherwise, sorry , cant help ya. Jus make sure its truely what you want, selling a boat is a biotch from what I hear.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#2]
IF you ever mention Bayliner in the same breath as Wellcraft,I'll kill ya!

Bayliner looks like a lot a boat for the money,but there's a reson you see a lot for sale.Cheap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this a boat you plan on keeping in the water all the time, or on a lift, trailer, rack at marina, ect?
Either way they are an expensive toy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Storage plans are for a lift/rack at a marina.

There is a place in SRQ that rents boats but their selection is limited to very small boats, what I would consider a "fishing boat" for cruising around some place like Lake Wisconsin, not the Gulf of Mexico.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
1st -

Don't but a BayLiner.

2nd-

What are you using it for? Fishing, barhopping in the intercoastal, overnights?

3rd-

Have you ever spent the night in a cabin in a small boat on the Gulf?

IMHO - I would start off with a center console boat with a single outboard motor.  Something in the 20ft range.  Good all-purpose boat with decent legs and the ability to take you 10+ miles offshore in decent weather.  Cabins are over-rated and wind up being places to throw all your shit.  Also, going below in a small boat usually leads to seasickness in short order.

This way you have a smaller investment and a way to find out if you will enjoy boating, learn to navigate, dock, etc.  An outboard will use a little more fuel than an I/O but will be much easier as regards maintenance.  

Here is a good site to read up on issues that current boatowners have: outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=16
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Something my Dad told me once, " Take two years salary and burn it. If you don't cringe then buy one."

I never understood till I watched a good friend buy the "boat of his dreams", all I can say is I'm glad I don't have those dreams.

If you are serious, and didn't cringe when burning your money, then I would stay away from Bayliner as Dave15 suggests. Wellcraft does make a decent boat, and of all the small craft I have experienced (Dad was USCG for 20+ yrs, so we have seen a few) they tend to "plane" out in the water the best IMHO. (Older early90's "V" hull's were the best)

Side note, I worked for a fabrication company that manufatured boat parts for several manufaturers....Sea Ray, Mako, Bayliner....for an example, and Wellcraft had the best bang for the buck, IMHO of coarse.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]

What are you using it for? Fishing, barhopping in the intercoastal, overnights?

Just cruising around the coast, dock at a couple of marinas for lunch (no bar hopping, drunk boating isn't cool), and in general as a family weekend toy. No plans on ever sleeping in it, just need a head for the girls' potty breaks, a galley to keep some sodas and snacks, and a bedroom/change room so the girls have some privacy.

I don't really give a crap about fishing, other than some fresh water fishing I've never done it. Besides, if I really want to eat fish I'll buy it. I just don't find the appeal with spending 1/2 a day to catch something I won't eat. (now, hunting hogs.... that's another story!)

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
When you catch a 30 pound grouper or a 80 pound amber jack or maybe a smoker king you will want it again.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Best boat, bar none, someone elses.
That being said, Bayliner and Roballo share engineering/construction. Some deals to be had there shopping wisely.
Overnite on any of them requires a gritty soul.  It can be fun if the other are able to hang.
Remember, two anchors. Don't ask, you will learn....
BTW, used Gradey's are out there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]
My advice to you:

Find a friend that has a boat you like.

Buy case of beer and cooler,
go on boat with friend,
stop at all tiki-Bars,
pick me up in Venice,
get drunk,
go home,
let friend tow boat home,
let friend clean boat.
Repeat.

A boat is worse than guns: It's a hole in the water you can keep pouring endless amounts of money into. I speak from experience, I am the (proud) owner or "Old Blue".
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My advice to you:

go on boat with friend,
stop at all tiki-Bars,
pick me up in Venice,
get drunk,
go home,
let friend clean boat.
Repeat.

A boat is worse than guns: It's a hole in the water you can keep pouring endless amounts of money into. I speak from experience, I am the (proud) owner or "Old Blue".

+1

Take the money you would have spent on a boat and buy a machine gun (or several).
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Take the money you would have spent on a boat and buy a machine gun (or several).

Ummm...... actually (believe it or not) it is the wife that wants a boat!!  Not that I don't like boats, but I talked myself out of stupid toys like boats and snomobiles years ago. Logically, there are only so many free days per year (non-work days) and out of those days, there are only so many days the weather is appropriate, and out of those days there are only so many days that said "toy" will actually be used.

So, for a 40+ hours/week working guy to enjoy a boat on the Gulf of Mexico, there are only 52 weekends per year, 2 days per weekend, and out of those weekends, many of them are spent doing yard/house work, etc. Leaving approx., 10 or 15 weekends to boat. Out of those available weekends, when there's cash on hand to buy tons of fuel, maybe 4 or 5 weekends, of which you won't boat both days, so it boils down to this.... out of the entire year, a 30k toy will be used by me and the family maybe a dozen days.

Just doesn't seem like the best way to spend my money, or free time. I would be better off spending my money on hookers & blow - the result will probably be about the same!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
You might want to consider renting a smaller boat and just trying it, there is alot to it, learning how to maneuver a boat at slow speed is something that you only get with practice. Sarasota bay and the intercoastal are jammed with big boats throwing off all kinds of wake. Have you ever navigated a boat up to the dock on a windy day? Operated around other boats that have anchor lines out?  Also learning about the area you are going to operate in makes a big difference ,
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My advice to you:

go on boat with friend,
stop at all tiki-Bars,
pick me up in Venice,
get drunk,
go home,
let friend clean boat.

Repeat.

You follow this advice and any friend/boatowner you have will soon become your ex-friend/boatowner. Not helping the boatowner clean his boat after you were invited for a day out is completely UNCOOL.

Expect to pay you share of the gas (the boats you are looking at are very thirsty) and plan on helping clean the boat at the end of the day. This will guarantee you a re-invite.

I would recommend a nice cuddy (Mako, Grady White, Hydra-Sports are all good boats.) Make it easy to clean by losing the carpet and teak. If you get a boat with all the bells and whistles, expect the bells and whistles to break at one time or another. It will happen.

Ask for a space at the top of the high and dry. Nothing worse than having the guy's boat above yours drip oil, gas, etc.... all over your boat.

TAKE A COAST GUARD AUXILIARY CLASS. These should be required for all first time boat owners.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:45:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ummm...... actually (believe it or not) it is the wife that wants a boat!!  Not that I don't like boats, but I talked myself out of stupid toys like boats and snomobiles years ago. Logically, there are only so many free days per year (non-work days) and out of those days, there are only so many days the weather is appropriate, and out of those days there are only so many days that said "toy" will actually be used.

So, for a 40+ hours/week working guy to enjoy a boat on the Gulf of Mexico, there are only 52 weekends per year, 2 days per weekend, and out of those weekends, many of them are spent doing yard/house work, etc. Leaving approx., 10 or 15 weekends to boat. Out of those available weekends, when there's cash on hand to buy tons of fuel, maybe 4 or 5 weekends, of which you won't boat both days, so it boils down to this.... out of the entire year, a 30k toy will be used by me and the family maybe a dozen days.

Just doesn't seem like the best way to spend my money, or free time. I would be better off spending my money on hookers & blow - the result will probably be about the same!!!

Since the wife wants a boat, what is your budget?

Where on the Gulf do you live? Tampa?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
You would be far better off to just rent a boat when the wife feels the need to get seasick.

trust me.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Sarasota. Near the airport, west of the trail.

Yes, the WIFE WANTS A BOAT!! Shit, you'd think that would be a good thing. Seriously, how often have you heard of a guy telling people that it's the wife that wants a boat? NEVER??!!!

The budget? Well, haven't really established one yet. For a first time boat I'm probably looking at 10-15k. Doesn't sound like much but I'm surfing Boat Trader and plan on keeping an open mind.

Personally, I would rather rent a decent sized boat when I need to use it, rather than getting stuck with a $500/or more per month payment and the storage, insurance, etc., that goes with it.

Quoted: Since the wife wants a boat, what is your budget? Where on the Gulf do you live? Tampa?

1985 Silverton - 29', $12,000.00

1985  Sea Ray  270 Sundancer - 27', $12,500.00

1985  Chris Craft  Catalina - 29', $9,700.00

1977  Trojan  30 Sport Cruiser - 30', $14,900.00

1995  Chaparral  24 Signature - 24', $14,999.00
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#18]
A good friend of mine has a 22' Grady White Cuddy/225 Ocean Runner w/ trailer he wants to sell. Pretty nice boat from what I recall.

IM me if you're interested and I'll give you his contact info (he's in Palmetto).
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#19]
If you buy any of those boats listed above, you need to set aside twice the price for repairs. If you pay $15k for the boat, you should figure you will put another $15k into the boat. All of the boats you listed there are inboards. Inboard motors are expensive to keep running. Also, many of those boats are not trailerable. If you can't trailer the boat, you will have to rent a slip. Generally $8 to $15 per foot per month. So a 30 foot boat will cost $300 per month for the slip.

I own three boats. However, all my boats have outboards. They are easier to repair and keep running. Also, all my boats are trailerable.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A good friend of mine has a 22' Grady White Cuddy/225 Ocean Runner w/ trailer he wants to sell. Pretty nice boat from what I recall.

IM me if you're interested and I'll give you his contact info (he's in Palmetto).

What year? How much does he want?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top