Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 11:17:10 PM EDT
Getting ready to do a couple week trip down that way, and was curious what suggestions some of you might have. I'm probably looking to avoid South Florida, since I'm trying to get away, not surround myself with millions of people.

Looking for some nice beaches, hopefully not totally crowded but whatever. I heard there's maybe cruises or charters going out of Daytona and thought I might do that and visit an island for a bit. Any good insight on that tye of thing?

Just kind of looking for something off the beaten path, not touristy per se. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The touristy stuff in Florida is touristy because it's fun.

If you want to take a cruise, they do leave from the Daytona area, but they are Disney cruises, etc, and uber touristy.

If you haven't been here, then by all means drive to the Keys. Key west is touristy, but it's Key West, and is pretty fun and cool. The other keys are laid back, and you can find isolated and quiet spots.

You can go to Everglades National Park, if you want.

Buy yourself a Fodor's or other travel guide to Florida, read it, and you can get a good idea of what is here and what to do.

Any beaches you want to go to will be filled with people that have the same idea as you.

If you come down in February you might be able to catch a lot of spring training, which is always fun to go to.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
If your into educational and awe inspireing feets of man, try taking a tour of Kennedy Space Center if your on the east coast (it's not far from Daytona if that is the area you are going to be in, or from port Cannaveral where there are a few cruise ships that make runs to the island, or offshore gambleing)

Best I got, I don't prefer the attraction parks but if I had to pick one it would be Sea World. Mainly for the educational part, it also doesn't hurt that they have a few really cool roller coasters.

Hope it helps,
Dave
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Fort Desoto is one of the best beaches in the state. Located at the southern tip of St. Pete, it is the quiet beach that you are looking for.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Fishing, GO FISHING, this year has been one of the best years for fishing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Fishing, GO FISHING, this year has been one of the best years for fishing.

If you do, make sure you know the regs. What you can keep and what you can't and is it big enough?
I would also pick up a fishing license if you plan on fishing on a private boat.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I second that Fort Desoto and it's beach. The beach will be a bit empty, but the fort is nice, see it before it washes away like the fort on Eggmont key.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree.....the space center is about an hour soth of Daytona.....worth a day trip . Daytona also has the race-track museum, if you're into nascar, do the Petty Experience, 3 laps  around the famed track in a real nascar at about 170mph.
Even just coming to Daytona and driving on the beach itself is fun.

If you go south, you really stay the week in the keys. Water clear and warm like any caribbean sea. Plenty of snorkling,beaches,water sports, fishing, bars, restauarnts.......and damn those adictive key lime pies and be nice to Robert the Doll
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Fishing....try Ponce Inlet.......just south of Daytona Bch....str8 south A1A, till it ends, dont hit the famous lighthouse( tallest i believe in FL).....Alot of charters there and 2 good seafood restaurants
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I hear New York is really nice  this time of year
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]
HAHAHAHAHA !!!
Thats why i'm coming down soon. Waiting for the holidays to pass, being with the family. i'm sure you can understand. Now its san tan and oranges for me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Pay a guide to take you fishing in Mosquito Lagoon. You can catch 30+ pound redfish on light tackle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like we'll definitely be trying the Ft. Desoto place. Some of the fishing sounds like it might be fun as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Look up Caladaisy Island. I'm not sure how it is spelled. Right off of Honeymoon Island north of Clearwater. If you stop in North Florida, check out the springs, and rivers. Very out of the way this time of year, awesome canoeing, camping, etc.

Have fun!

then go back home and take a yankee with you!

Just kidding.

not about the 'taking a yankee with you' part....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Look at Fernandina Beach quiet beaches there is Fort Clinch also there is some gambling cruises from Mayport  and if you come down in May you may make it for the Blessing of the Shrimp Boats BUT that is packed with tourist then.
www.city-data.com/city/Fernandina-Beach-Florida.html

www.ameliaisland.com/pix/netscape/ftclinch.htm
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I hear New York is really nice  this time of year

They are all down here now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top