Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 3:16:27 PM EDT
Recently went to pick up my Bushy lower at the same shop I have purchased 3 count em 3 handguns from in the last year.Called the idiots in Tallahassee for permission and guess what,,,,,,,,well we will have to get back to you on that.Seems there is a white male with the same last name and middle inital who has a warrent out for his arrest for,,,,,,,,,sit down,,,,,,,,are you ready,,,,,,,drivers license expired for longer that four months??????? WTF ???????????WTF

THATS AGAINST THE LAW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say again WTF !!!!!! (venting now,sorry )

Being my luck this guy is dead and this will happen everytime I buy a gun from now on.And there is no appeal because they told me that "since I have not been denied I have nothing to appeal"

My dealer said this happens quite alot to them and FDLE pretty much dont give a rats ass.

Anyone else ever had this problem ???????

RENEW YOUR LICENSE YOU BUTTWIPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel better now,,,,,,,ok no not really.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/index.htm#geninfo

The NICS is a national system that checks available records on persons who may be disqualified from receiving firearms. The FBI developed the system through a cooperative effort with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and local and state law enforcement agencies. The NICS is a computerized background check system designed to respond within 30 seconds on most background check inquiries so the FFLs receive an almost immediate response. Depending on the willingness of state governments to act as a liaison for the NICS, the FFLs contact either the FBI or a designated state point-of-contact (POC) to initiate background checks on individuals purchasing or redeeming firearms, and in certain instances, firearm-related permits.

I believe in this case your dealer called a Federal Idiot, not a State idiot.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/index.htm#geninfo

The NICS is a national system that checks available records on persons who may be disqualified from receiving firearms. The FBI developed the system through a cooperative effort with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) and local and state law enforcement agencies. The NICS is a computerized background check system designed to respond within 30 seconds on most background check inquiries so the FFLs receive an almost immediate response. Depending on the willingness of state governments to act as a liaison for the NICS, the FFLs contact either the FBI or a designated state point-of-contact (POC) to initiate background checks on individuals purchasing or redeeming firearms, and in certain instances, firearm-related permits.

I believe in this case your dealer called a Federal Idiot, not a State idiot.

Actually FL has opted out of the NICS program and FDLE does do the background checks out of Tallahassee.  There are some federalism issues there that go beyond this thread though.  However mmfl62 I don't know if you put your social security number on your 4473, but when I worked as a dealer that cleared up almost all misidentifications almost immediately.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I did give them my ssn,no reason not too.Their answer was "Due to the holiday season they didnt have time to do a detailed check and by law or some crap they had 3 or 7 days to respond" and I was so pissed I dont remember which one it was.

I heard they have to destroy the info in 24 hours and till this jerkwad gets his crap togather I will go through this everytime.

I for one dont believe they destroy the info but file it away for later use.

The begining of the end of personal ownership.

Alot of recent events make me wonder about the future of alot of our liberties the founding fathers gave us.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
gonoles

Sorry for the incomplete reply but I am still seething over this. I was told I was a hit on two of four and ssn didnt matter,two of four meaning last name,middle inital and white male.

Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
on the 4473 form did you: use your full name (no initals used at all) you said you used your ss#, is there anything you left out... place of birth?

ok so your responce was conditional (so what!) it happens... I've seen the big "C" for id theft, and all sorts of things. ITS NOT A NON-APROVAL, (that means "NO" and you have-to appeal) they just NEED 5 days (they say 5 days but it could be shorter(or longer). be lucky some people that have lived in the katrina zone NEVER get an aproval they have NO records.. fdle will then issue a "CA" or conditional aproval ie... you can take it home "BUT" if they find something down the road "they" come and get it... it also factors on where you HAVE lived, some states are SSSLLLOOOWWW on getting your records/information out...

just sit tight, it's a pain in the asshat but..?

i think.. one of two things happened(and i could be wrong) the dealer didn't read the information off correctly,  you smugged an answer, or (this happens alot) new tech's at fdle not reading the information correctly....

if you have passed in the past dont worry(if you havent done anything wrong) it will work its way out.  have a little faith.... aza general manager of fowler firearms and gunrange l.l.c.  good luck!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:14:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry Guys, could have sworn my dealer called the Feds for my last NICS check about 2 weeks ago..
Usually SSN fixes it...
Have you looked at your credit report lately ? Thats usually a good place to find any issues with Identity borrowing. That is assuming it's not just doe to volume over Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Recently went to pick up my Bushy lower at the same shop I have purchased 3 count em 3 handguns from in the last year.Called the idiots in Tallahassee for permission and guess what,,,,,,,,well we will have to get back to you on that.Seems there is a white male with the same last name and middle inital who has a warrent out for his arrest for,,,,,,,,,sit down,,,,,,,,are you ready,,,,,,,drivers license expired for longer that four months??????? WTF ???????????WTF

THATS AGAINST THE LAW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say again WTF !!!!!! (venting now,sorry )

Being my luck this guy is dead and this will happen everytime I buy a gun from now on.And there is no appeal because they told me that "since I have not been denied I have nothing to appeal"

My dealer said this happens quite alot to them and FDLE pretty much dont give a rats ass.

Anyone else ever had this problem ???????

RENEW YOUR LICENSE YOU BUTTWIPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel better now,,,,,,,ok no not really.

Sorry bout that, I'll get right on it!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Florida handles their own checks, which is why it costs us $5.  The fed check is free.

They do get extremely backed up over the hollidays and often the dealer will have trouble even getting through.  I used to hate that because I was the guy the customer wanted to bitch to when he had to wait, sometimes as long as an hour, for his background check.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
UPDATE*****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****

Well I can finally say I am in possession of my new Bushy lower.The right person at FDLE cleared this up in less than 12 hours,,,,,,but,,,,,,,stated that I will most likley go through this from now on ?????????? Wont tell me why ??????????

I was scared for awhile because I thought I may have commited a felony ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in my frigging sleep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ranting is over,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
UPDATE*****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****

Well I can finally say I am in possession of my new Bushy lower.The right person at FDLE cleared this up in less than 12 hours,,,,,,but,,,,,,,stated that I will most likley go through this from now on ?????????? Wont tell me why ??????????

I was scared for awhile because I thought I may have commited a felony ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in my frigging sleep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ranting is over,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see i told you, have a little faith.... it sucks, but have faith...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess you miss my point in all this.

I do not wish to offend you but please answer me these few questions.

Why should I have to go through this crap to "lawfully" purchase a firearm in Florida.

Could I have called a person that was selling a weapon in the Tampa Tribune. Yes.

Could I have went to a gunshow and walked up to one of those guys with the "For Sale" sign sticking out of the barrel of his AR-15 and purchased that weapon.  Yes

They tell me they delete the info on a firearm purchase within 24 hours yet they have a data base of our entire life.I as well as you know that.

The two above things will be gone within 2 at the most 3 years.

Personal sales.

Gun shows.

We have freedoms that were given to us by our founding fathers.

They are being taken away from us a an alarming rate.

The almost funny thing of all this is crime is getting better all the time.

The soap box is yours.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Kinda off the main topic but.....

When did an expired Drivers License become illegal? What happens to someone who gives up driving and doesn't want to renew? Are they automatically fugitives from the law?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:30:44 AM EDT
[#13]
That I dont know.All I know is from looking up his name I see he has an active warrent for that.All I can think is it may have been court ordered.

Dont make sense to me either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#14]
My question is this.  Is it illegal to posess a drivers licence, but own no car?  Is it illegal to just not want a DL any longer, and not drive?  What happens if you are suddonly blinded, and don't need a DL, so you don't renew it....is that a crime?  I'm sorry, but this doesn't add up.  Maybe he didn't register his vehicle in 4 months.....but having an expired DL (and not driving any more) in and of itself is not a crime.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
you will almost definately have a problem from now on, what you got was a conditional approval meaning that the check was not approved instantly giving them up to 3 business days to re check your backround, somehow your tagged and it will hang over you for ever, I have it and my last name is Smith to boot, the best advice is to have the dealer run you Nics check at the time of purchase if you dont have a CWP in some counties the 3 extra days will expire before you pick up your gun, all this un less you have a CWP and then want to get it and go immed, sorry, hang in there, and watch the days for holidays they dont count.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
you will almost definately have a problem from now on, what you got was a conditional approval meaning that the check was not approved instantly giving them up to 3 business days to re check your backround, somehow your tagged and it will hang over you for ever, I have it and my last name is Smith to boot, the best advice is to have the dealer run you Nics check at the time of purchase if you dont have a CWP in some counties the 3 extra days will expire before you pick up your gun, all this un less you have a CWP and then want to get it and go immed, sorry, hang in there, and watch the days for holidays they dont count.

thats not true. a "C,A" is for when they CAN'T  find all the records (ie. they have been destroyed or lost) what he had was the STANDERD wait (ie just a CONDITIONAL), someone with similar information.  it IS fdle's job to find out the good "mr John, doe, Smith" from the bad "John, Doe, Smith".  also some "STATES" are slow to get the information to fdle...(ie. lets say you lived(at some point in time) in the katrina zone, you will then receve a "C.A." because they have incomplete records because they were destroyed... also some fokes in the army or navy during the 50's have this problem due to a fire that destroyed a bunch of records.... hey shit happens are you in a hurry to shoot somthing(inknow ya your gun) but system is in place to keep the BAD guy from getting it the li'git way(i know the counter to the argument) all i can tell you is that i do this for a living and see al sorts of things every day.... just giving you the information ........ .... ..
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sorry Guys, could have sworn my dealer called the Feds for my last NICS check about 2 weeks ago..
Usually SSN fixes it...
Have you looked at your credit report lately ? Thats usually a good place to find any issues with Identity borrowing. That is assuming it's not just doe to volume over Christmas.

I call them in all the time, it's FDLE.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Sorry,In my anger I may have ommited a few details.

According to FDLE I did not receive a conditional I was approved and their is a difference.

I now know I dont have to worry about FDLE knocking on my door and taking my weapon,,,,I was given an approval.

Had it remained a conditional would have given them permission for a "NON COURT ORDERED RIGHT TO ENTER MY HOUSE AND REMOVE THAT FIREARM FROM MY POSSESION"and most likley all my other "legally" purchased firearms. My dealer states that this would only apply to this firearm but I cant see them leaving the rest if I cant have this one. I feel they would say "talk to the judge "or something as they walk out with my collection.I have heard the horror stories of what happens to your guns after they get them.

As for the drivers license all I cant tell you is that information was all that came up on the Hillsborough County Sherriff's web site and that is the info they have posted.Maybe he got a ticket for driving on a expired license for 4 months or longer and never went to court.He could be dead or in Iraq for all I know.

Credit history shows nothing unusual.

This system is not taking guns out of the criminals hands but letting Uncle Sam know where the ones with guns are.I know all of this info is "destroyed " in 24 hours and believe that like I believe in Halle Berry knocking on my door tonight and saying "GIVE IT TO ME BIG BOY,GIVE IT TO ME"(pm me if your out there girl)

That is my two cents !!!!!!!

Still waiting Halle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still waiting...........................................
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Kinda off the main topic but.....

When did an expired Drivers License become illegal? What happens to someone who gives up driving and doesn't want to renew? Are they automatically fugitives from the law?

If he has a warrant for anything concerning an Expired drivers license, it is because he has been busted for driving on an expired license, not for the license being expired.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#20]
It has to be for driving on an expired lic. I've let my DL expire before and they just charged me a few extra bucks at the DL place when I did renew. They can't  jail someone for just an expired lic. , there would be thousands of people going in for it! There must be something else going on, you might want to run your name through your local clerk of court website and see if anything turns up. I hope it all works out for you, In Sarasota county we have to wait for three days on ANY gun purchase, not just handguns. IT SUCKS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top