Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 8:03:15 PM EDT
I didn't see another thread exactly like this, and noplace else that answered my questions as explicitly as I'd like, so I thought I'd post it here. I haven't owned a gun before and would like to know about how things are done.

What are the procedures for getting a rifle in Florida? A shotgun? A pistol? Any exceptional instances? Any paperwork?

What paperwork has to be filled out for a concealed carry permit? Where can I get it?

What should I be mindful of when I buy something?

Anything else that I didn't ask that I should probably know?

Thanks for any replies. Assume I know nothing, I'd rather have information repeated than not know and pay for it later.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, i was looking for something like this too.   Not to hijack your thread but i have a few additional more detailed questions.

How many types of ID are required to purchase?

What are the address on the ID requirements? (normally i have po box address on my license so when i move i don't have to change my personal checks and id's.)

Will a FFL sell to me with only a p.o. box as an address on my license?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I didn't see another thread exactly like this, and noplace else that answered my questions as explicitly as I'd like, so I thought I'd post it here. I haven't owned a gun before and would like to know about how things are done.

What are the procedures for getting a rifle in Florida? A shotgun? A pistol? Any exceptional instances? Any paperwork?

What paperwork has to be filled out for a concealed carry permit? Where can I get it?

What should I be mindful of when I buy something? Check the price online here first. Check for overall condition of the weapon

Anything else that I didn't ask that I should probably know?

Thanks for any replies. Assume I know nothing, I'd rather have information repeated than not know and pay for it later.

When buying a long arm in florida, a rifle or shotgun, from a licensed dealer, you must fill out a form 4473. Asking for name, address, county age etc. Then questions that ask if youve committed a felony, are a fugitive, are mentally unstable and such. Must show a valid florida driver license. The dealer will get on the phone and run a qiuck back ground check over the phone through big brother. If all comes back clean he will finish the paper work and u pay and receive your receipts and weapon. In florida, there are no waiting periods for rifles at the state level, however, some cities have their own(west palm for example).

If your buying used from a private individual. No paperwork is required. Actually nothing is REQUIRED. Seller is not responsible to check age, background or anything, BUT if he willingly knows your a felon and sells to you both are in trouble. But he is not required to ask anything. Most will ask for a copy of a license or fill out a bill of sale as a cover you ass deal, but other than that its unregulated...Welcome to America.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Hope this helps...

http://www.packing.org/state/florida/

N2OGV
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I do not believe that a dealer will accept a post office box address for the 4473.  Also you must be a Florida resident for at least 90 consecutive days to purchase a handgun.  To get a carry permit you must take an NRA class, fill out some paperwork for the state, get a picture taken, get finger printed, and pay the state their money.  In my area it runs about $200 for 5 years.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]
If you buy anything look at his drivers license, put the number, name, address, on a piece of paper with "sold" and the date and serial no.  Have him sign it if possible so it'll be your bill of sale.

This is for anything at all valuable, not just guns.  My son avoided some jail time by doing this with an outboard motor he bought.  It had just been stolen and with the info the cops got the thief and recovered his money too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
ok: many questions i hope i get to them all.. in fla you must be a resident (of fla) for 90 days and have proof (issue date on state DL is normal s.o.p.) and/or (ie.. 90 consecutive days worth of bills w/ your name, [fla] address,and the dates[see 90 days] (no cell phone bills; rent, water, power, hard line phone bills, ect...are OK!) have a valid address NO po boxes allowed on a 4473.  THERE ARE NO PERMITS TO BUY A GUN IN FLA.  be-able to pass a background check(small fee $5.00 +)

a CCW permit, take a class (stay awake for two hours) class+passport photo+finger prints($15.00 or less)+processing fee's(either $39.00 online+$75.00 mail in check for digital or $117mail in check, for ink) requierments for Fla. ccw: not be a fellon and/or beat your wife(ie.D.V)and/or be convicted of DUI/DWI MORE THAT THREE TIMES , be 21 yoa, have money... you do not have to be a resident of Fla. to have Fla. ccw......

ok. only need A Fla. Dl to buy a gun (actualy not necessarily Fla. some exceptions, i dont approve or like to do it) nothing else if you dont have a special issue....

be mindful, i think all firearm sales are final,(up to store) its not a VCR, some stores will buy it back at the USED price(once it LEAVES the store its used, unfired or not)

more questions, ask
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:33:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In florida, there are no waiting periods for rifles at the state level, however, some cities have their own(west palm for example).

When I bought my Bushmaster from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale a few weeks ago there was a 5 day waiting period.

What is the procedure like for a parent to buy their 20 year old son a pistol?  I know that it's perfectly legal to OWN a pistol when you're 18 but to BUY one you have to be 21.  I'm 20 and my parents have offered to buy me a pistol (Beretta M9 to be exact), I of course would pay for it with my own hard earned money and everything, my parents would merely do the transaction for me at the dealer and then hand it over to me.  Is this legal?  Since there is no state registry or database of gun owners, would it be legal for my parents to buy it and then simply hand the firearm over to me in which I would then be the rightful owner or how would that work?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#8]
gifting is ok... just as long as you know the recipient is'int a criminal.... you still have to be 21 to buy the ammo though...... and your not doing it cause the intended user CANNOT be in contact with a firearm... your fine. (just follow the "access to minors" stuff)

POST # 308
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top