Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 5:23:06 AM EDT
My wife has been kind enough to me to allow me to use my recent "Retro Check" from a raise I got at work towards the purchase of a new upper.  I've been eyeing a Rock River Arms Upper but am still undecided on which one.  Let alone if I should even go RRA.  This is where I need yall's help.

Which One and Why?

Chrome Lined

$419.00

Stainless Steel

$429.00  
----------------------------------

What I Really Want

I really want the RRA Entry Tactical however I have yet to find anyone who has this upper even IN STOCK.  Really upsetting but oh well.

----------------------------------

In Summary

I'm looking for advice on the CAR A4 Uppers I listed above, the only differences being one w/ a Chrome Lined Barrel and the other with a Stainless Steel Barrel.  What's the difference, pros, and cons?  Also, what other manufacturers would you recommend other than RRA?  

I'm ready to buy now but will listen and consider the advice of my fellow Florida ARFCOMers.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Just got off the phone w/ Josh and he set me right.  Who would have guessed that a 12-year old has so much knowledge.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The entry upper is nice but, nothing you can't have on the first choice. A side mount slide attachment, whoopie. There are more secure ways to attach a sling. Not too mention you can only attach a sling to one of those points. so the other will be flapping in the wind.It's a waste and it's noisy. the stepped barrel is nice looking but serves no purpose for you. The rear iron sight / rail  is nice but, you're buying a flat top for the purpose of optics i would assume and with that set up you could never co-witness. The stainless is nice but it's a bit flashy for me. It's suppose to be a BLACK rifle. Buy the $419 upper. Slap an eotech 511 on it throw a ARMS # 40 BUIS behind it and have some fun.

J

Couldn't have said it any better.
Was looking at the same upper myself.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Buy the $419 upper. Slap an eotech 511 on it throw a ARMS # 40 BUIS behind it and have some fun.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#5]
go chrome

go 1/7 twist (unless you plan on shooting 40grn varmit rounds)

accept no substitutes
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#6]
my vote is :
http://www.eaglefirearms.net/images/up%20CARA4%20SS.jpg

I think your choices should be chrome lined or stainless. Chrome lined Im sure is easier to clean and will resist corrosion better than stainless. Its also much harder than stainless. From everything Ive read stainless barrels tend to be a little more accurate. Chromoly is just a cheap metal.

remember folks...Chromoly is NOT Chrome lined.
Chromoly is what is generally considered a regular steel bbl.
SS is usually the most accurate, and the easiest to clean.

All the top shooters use un-lined barrels, with the majority going for stainless steel.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Get it in .50 Beowulf or .458 SOCOM- .223's are a dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Update

I finally spoke with Chris at Eagle Firearms and went ahead and ordered the Chrome Lined CAR A4 Upper Half in addition to an EOTech  511.   Chris laughed when I made my order as he said I grabbed the last CAR A4 Upper he had in stock and other orders were coming in for it after mine.  LOL

Not to shabby.  Thanks for coming through guys.  I took all comments into consideration and went with an educated decision.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:47:41 AM EDT
[#10]
You gonna put an AK brake on it?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top