Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 6:17:51 AM EDT
One of the problems with living in Central FL, particularly following the hurricanes of last year, is that there are few gun stores remaining.  Even when I am able to find lowers at a decent price online, I can never order them, because none of the remaining dealers in south Orlando and around here will perform the transfer.

Does anyone living in Central FL know of a cooperative dealer that isn't going to charge through the roof?  It's also a shame that the price of gas will affect how far I can travel before the trip adds too much to the cost.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Can't say it enough here, I highly recommend Pace Outfitters.  He is in Altamonte Springs, intersection of 434 and 436.  He works with civvies, LEO, and military.  Nice collection of Glocks and Kimbers.  He buys and sells used rifles, shotguns, and pistols.  He also carries 5.11 gear, holsters, ammo, and other fun stuff.

Pace Outfitters
360 N. State Road 434
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
(407) 682-7300
Ask for Chris or Mike

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I've not done business with them yet, but if it's lowers your looking for, "Spike's Tactical" sells some pretty good looking ones at a pretty resonable rate.  Last gunshow he was selling them for $99 and they are in Apopka

Spikes Tactical
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I've fired off an e-mail to Pace Outfitters asking if they would provide this service.  I'll have to see how it goes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've not done business with them yet, but if it's lowers your looking for, "Spike's Tactical" sells some pretty good looking ones at a pretty resonable rate.  Last gunshow he was selling them for $99 and they are in Apopka

Spikes Tactical

Yes, I'm interested in a small number of complete lowers, less stocks.  The Spike Tactical website's "Products" button isn't functional yet, although I dropped them an e-mail, as well.

I was at the last gun show at the Central FL Fair Grounds (20 August) and didn't see anyone selling lowers, though.  Of course, I didn't see anyone selling SOPMOD stocks or any KAC parts, either.  Overall, the shows seem to have shrunk to nearly nothing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've fired off an e-mail to Pace Outfitters asking if they would provide this service.  I'll have to see how it goes.

Just my suggestion, give them a call.  I do not know how much Chris checks the e-mail.  He does not have a true Internet presence yet, more of a store front only.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
You can contact Spike at 407 928 2666 for lowers

B.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Fantasy Firearms... In DeSoto County Email me for more information...  [email protected]

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Bucks Outdoors located in Bushnell, Florida, just off I-75.  Great folks, great prices, no BS gun shop talk.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:33:53 AM EDT
[#9]
For the purposes of reference the area I'm referring to devoid of helpful gunshops is south of Orlando, in Kissimmee.  As I've mentioned, it puts a bit of a damper on finding lowers for my projects.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a supplier for the AR15 lowers I need for my current projects.  What I can't find is a dealer in the south Orlando/Osceola Co. who is willing to receive them from TX for me.  If there are any dealers in my area on this board who will perform this service, I would be happy to learn of them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:05:36 AM EDT
[#11]
At $3 per gallon for fuel, I'm not looking forward to a drive into points Orlando and north.  Still, if there are any dealers on this board willing to make the transfer in that area, I'd like to know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You can contact Spike at 407 928 2666 for lowers

B.

I think Brian W. gave you the answer.  Spike is awesome to work with, sells only the best and backs what he sells.  Where else can you get a LAR lower for a C-note.  I'm sure he will be at the next show.  

+1 for Spike
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I've already corresponded with "Spike" and he offered a competitive price for complete LAR lowers marked with his own Spider logo.  Unfortunately, the buyers specified DPMS marked lowers.  Before I attempt to disuade them from what they've asked for, I feel compelled to exhaust all options for getting it.

Plus I'd need to do some research on LAR lowers, given they're only offered on their website stripped.  I'm aware they supply to DPMS but not how DPMS builds them out to compare with those of Spike Tactical, which I've also never seen before.

This area is a bit of a wasteland for... well, about everything.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm glad you spoke with Spike.  I hate to see people taken to the cleaners over a lower.

As far as LAR goes, I believe they are the same machine shop that makes DPMS and Bushmaster.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  That may be a selling point.

Anyway, good luck and I hope it all works out for you.  The more ARs the better.

J
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]
It is the same machine shop.  As I understand from their website, they manufacture forged lowers for DPMS and Bushmaster.  Of course, they may not be the only machine shop to do so.

In this case, part of the specification is the Teflon finish, which only DPMS does standard.  I am in continued talks with Spikes Tactical and perhaps I might find time to call Pace Outfitters, even though they do not answer their e-mail.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:22:51 AM EDT
[#16]
For those of you who might be considering Pace Outfitters for your transfer needs, they passed on my request.  It was a strange conversation, considering Chris started out saying they did perform out-of-state transfers, provided me with their fees, then decided not to do it.

Spike's Tactical, on the other hand, couldn't do enough for me.  His offer on his own lowers was quite competitive and was willing to order the DPMS lowers, if that is what was preferred.  We even talked about red infill for the fire control stenciling.  Hopefully, he will prove the resolution to this problem.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Finally got word back from Spike after inquiring about DPMS lowers through him.  Guess if I make this purchase, the price would be $60 each more than his own AR15 lowers.  On an order of six lowers, plus the taxes, it's not so attactive a deal any more -- at least, not compared to the price I originally found online.  Otherwise, he seems to be capable of performing a variety of other services I could use outside this order.

There is one other source left who's working up a price on these lowers.  Depending upon what happens, I may just say something profane and give up on this industry, again.  Is there some industry taboo I'm breaking by asking for lower transfers from an internet purchase?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Al's Army Navy will do transfers for $20 each registered item.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I've dropped them an e-mail to confirm this.  Hopefully, it is true, since one of their locations is on OBT right by the Florida Mall.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Have gone thru them numerous times for on-line purchases. Checked with them maybe 2-3 months ago and they said that was still the price. Probably have to pay for background check also.
The O.B.T. shop is the one I use. It's close to Colonial (just south of it on the left- Mint green building with an Art Deco type front). Have dealt with Spike a few times also. Very nice guy and certainly goes out of his way to help you out. His table is along the back wall of main hall of Central Fairgrounds show close to the Weapons Unlimited tables.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Am just awaiting the e-mail reply, now.  Used their online e-mail interface.  Hopefully, it will work out, because I would certainly appreciate someone so close.  I'd even contact Rieg's by e-mail, today, just so as to not overlook anyone.

As for Spike's, even if I can purchase the lowers I need through another source, I'll still keep him in mind for other work.  He has someone who does color fill and can thread my BM HBA barrel, which again, noone around here does.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
For those of you who might be considering Pace Outfitters for your transfer needs, they passed on my request.  It was a strange conversation, considering Chris started out saying they did perform out-of-state transfers, provided me with their fees, then decided not to do it.

Spike's Tactical, on the other hand, couldn't do enough for me.  His offer on his own lowers was quite competitive and was willing to order the DPMS lowers, if that is what was preferred.  We even talked about red infill for the fire control stenciling.  Hopefully, he will prove the resolution to this problem.

??

I have done many transfers through Chris and no complaints yet..  

Very odd.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Post this guy an email and see what he will do for you. He transferred an m1a that I bought on the EE.

e: [email protected]
w: http://www.floridaoutdoorsupply.com/
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:15:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I know that Spike's Tactical sale the DPMS in the store  for $99 that how much i pay

I live  in  St Cloud  they have a gun shop  dont now the name (i think is st cloud guns store)   call them
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:06:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Spike's quoted $235 for DPMS semi-complete lowers.
St. Cloud's gun store does not deal in lowers at all.  They actually told me they were too easy to build illegal firearms from ... as if that wasn't true of all ARs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#26]
For $235 they must be talking complete lowers ( lower, lpk, stock).

Have you tried the EE here? Probably best bet for getting exactly what you want for decent price while going thru someone like Al's.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, "semi-complete" lowers is what DPMS calls them.  It's the receiver with all the internal parts, minus the stock, tube, spring, and buffer.

As it turns out, I received several contacts today from vendors who indicate they are willing to make a transfer.  It remains to be seen if any of them end be viable from a cost standpoint.  It seems by the time the fees are tallied up, the price is the same for ordering lowers through them.  Interesting coincidence, no?

As it stands, I may simply put this process on the shelf for a while.  It's just too much hardship for what's supposed to be a hobbie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top