Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 12:52:58 PM EDT
We are taking a family vacation to Amelia Island near Jacksonville. I was wondering if there are any cool historic spots, places to rent Full-Auto or anything else that would be cool.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No full auto rentals here only friends with them. St. Augustine is nice old place to visited. Ft. Caroline is another. Some good fishing shops around of off Beach Blvd in Jacksonville. Fishing is great off the beaches right now, use fresh shrimp for bait.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Tarpon are also off the beach, so be ready for a fight. You can ride horses on the beach in Amelia. Cumberland Island is also pretty cool. If you have young kids, Summer Waves water park is in Jeckyl Island, north of there. Adventure landing is one in Jax.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
make some time to come down here to st. augustine, see the fort (Castillo De San Marcos), the oldest school house, st. george street, and all that stuff. It's good for a day of sightseeing with the family.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks. I'm from ohio, so my fishin gear is mostly for bass...is there anything i need know to fish from the beach or off of the island.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Bass tackle will work. Most of your local fish are caught right in the wave areas. 2 ounces of lead will do. Make sure to rinse of the bass tackle when done for the day with fresh water. Oh small hooks like #4 or #6  about 20 inches of 15 or 20 lb mono for leader. Egg sinker rigs work good. Or use a drop weight system using the weight on the bottom of rig and hook and leader above. Something like a catfish rig. Most fish are whitting(Southern Kingfish, Northern Kingfish,even the Gulf Kingfish) Not King Mackeral. Some Red fish, Black Drums.Bluefish,Flounder,etc,etc.Buy the way when you coming maybe we could hook up and I could show ya.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Fort Clinch is is Fernandina Beach (Adjacent to Amelia) which is pretty cool.

Pawn shops in Jax have some decent stuff pretty cheap sometimes avoid the shops in main st too much crime.

Kids might like the Museum in Jax they have the dinosaur exhibit right now.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#8]
How about the Jax zoo?  My wife heard it was good and is wanting to go sometime.  Is it any good?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
cool, thanks for all the info...i am coming on the 15th of august.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top