Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:46:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Lighten Up, Francis!

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:21:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Greeeeeat....

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, if you draw a line right in the middle of the forecast track on the map shown here, the storm hits my area. I too think it will turn north before it gets here though. The current models show the storm about 200 miles off the coast on Saturday at about the same lattitude as where I'm located, and headed north away from landfall here. Usually, when a storm stays on the east side of the Bahamas, it turns north and misses us. I've seen a few do that. But you never know, so we'll just have to sweat it out for a few days.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Crap.
The adjuster hasn't even made it out to look at the damage from the last one.
Now we get 2 deductibles...Let's cross our fingers as well as our eyes ^ ^ ^
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m with you CM.

I got most everything done yesterday.

I may evacuate for the first time in my life. Not sure yet.

Are you on the barrier island, or the mainland?

Mike
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
We are still recovering from the last one still in Orlando.  I went out and bought a generator and it was hard as hell to find one.  I ended up finding one at Bobcat and I paid $700 for a 3000 watt which normally you can get them for the same price at the hardware stores but you get 5000 watts at that price.  The guy at Bobcat told me the engine was a Honda and that attributed to the increased price.  Anyhow I am glad I got one being without power just sucked.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#10]
North Baby North....I am about 200 yards from the beach in a mandatory evac zone. Well at leats its only a rental place. I have a place for my wife and dog to go cause I will be on-call anyway. If it heads straight on that path I am pretty much in the middle too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahh, here's the new 2300  8/31 projected track.

Look at the next post down -

Cape Canaveral, originaly.

It now looks like Ft. Pierce. Dangerous.

Mike

Merritt Island.

Good luck to all.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#15]
that last map sucks!  It puts the center 50 miles west of me on Sunday!

That thing needs to turn somewhere else...we haven't had a hurricane in a long time....
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Still early yet. Maybe it will take the same track as Floyd. Lets hope.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#17]
All ready have the plywood out near the windows we saved it from the past years close ones.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in Savannah and I dont want it here! I have 134 elderly people that I'm responsible for and I don't want to take them on a bus ride cause all of em won't make the trip to "safety" I too hope it turns north east and goes away.........

archer2
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#19]
My next door neighbor here on Merritt Island, very near the currently  projected landfall, is busy covering his windows with 1/4 inch plywood..

Why bother?

Well, I guess it’ll reduce the noise a little bit.

I think we’ll leave our house on the Indian River lagoon and visit my Dad in Pinehurst NC.

Final decision tomorrow night.

Best of luck to all.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Crap.
The adjuster hasn't even made it out to look at the damage from the last one.
Now we get 2 deductibles...

Let's cross our fingers as well as our eyes ^ ^ ^

My brother lives in Haines City in Polk County and lost his roofover in the last hurricane. He, the wife and the yellow lab are going to get in the motorhome and leave this time!
He got his insurance check cut for repairs, but hasn't found a contractor to do the job yet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Same track as Floyd!!!!  Damn Man, We already had 4 storms to visit NC this year, ain't that enought?

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the next two weeks off of work so I'm putting up my shutters and leaving them on untill the seasons over...plus I love my room being pitch black at noon I'm not going to be nice this time around about looters either.....
joe
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Not looking good here in Cocoa Beach either.  From what I heard, the last major hurricane to score a direct hit here was in 1924.  On a good note though, there was a rocket sitting on the pad and (even though I'm Boeing) congrats LM.  Yesterday evening the "fly-out" for their Atlas 2 family was successful....

As for Francis, I think we'll head SW Friday (honk as we pass ya CM) and maybe hunker down over toward Naples.  We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:23:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Not looking good here in Cocoa Beach either.  From what I heard, the last major hurricane to score a direct hit here was in 1924.

I lived in CB during the late 60s and it was a wonderful place for a young couple to be.  Lots of history happening right before our very eyes at the time (the Apollo program).

We came back to CB this summer for our first visit since leaving there and it sure was good to see that Bernard's was still in business, and that CB really had not changed all that much except for the increased traffic.

Good luck to everyone in Brevard County and the whole state.  

Rick    

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:38:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep, Bernard's (still same owner) and a couple of others too but the Mouse Trap is gone (damn).

<ETA this from my weatherman buddy at the Cape....
Hurricane Frances moving west northwest toward the southern Bahama Islands today.  Frances is expected to take a more northwesterly course on Friday toward the central Florida peninsula.  Her winds are currently at 140mph with gusts to 170mph - a Category IV hurricane.  While some fluctuation in intensity is likely over the next couple of days, I now expect landfall in the Stuart to Fort Pierce area at 5am on Saturday morning with winds of 145mph gusting to 175mph.  Frances should pass 25 to 30 miles southwest of Melbourne at 4pm Saturday afternoon - winds at that time near the center should be 115mph gusting to 140mph with winds in the Melbourne area and along the beaches at 100mph gusting to 125mph.  The storm should be near Ocala at 11am on Sunday with winds down to 60mph gusting to 75mph at that time.  Frances will become a slow moving storm over the peninsula, so expect an extended period of high winds and heavy rain.  Flooding conditions can be expected with rainfall amounts of six to ten inches.  Rain squalls are likely to continue on Sunday as the hurricane weakens and slowly moves to the north.  I'll update this if any significant changes should occur.

I urge you to take necessary actions now in order to prepare for this hurricane.

Well - I'm off to work in a few minutes and will see if HURCON IV has already been upgraded - I bet it has too.  Seey'all later.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#28]
good luck everyone,,,
im still gettin overthe last one,,  lost both cars and had to move to a new apt. ours caved in(lost 9 roofs on our apt buildings)
be perpared,, guys,, dont be like the young  punk at work from up north who thinks that it wont be bad

then again he didnt perpare for charlie and ate,, raw hot pockets,, and got sick !!!

good luck again guys keep yer heads down....

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Come on you guys it can't be all that bad......

Just kidding, I work at the CBS affiliate in Orlando and the weather/news people here are "bugging out."  

I plan to have windows boarded up at least on the bottom floor of our new house (boarding up a brand new house -- that brings tears to my eyes...)...My damn house faces south which has another new neighborhood going up...yippeee  (can anyone say, DUCK and COVER!)  I am anticipating flying debri like nobody's business.

Also I don't know if it is good or bad that we are on top of a hill, a florida hill mind you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Broward County checking in. School has been canceled for Thursday, September 2nd. My supplies are stocked and so is ammo. My in-laws and brothers-in-law are coming over. They have two pit-bulls and two parrots. I couldn't say no, they live in the Trailer Park. This ought to test my patience pretty good. I'll be posting regularly as power allows. Oh well, here goes nothing!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm going to hang around on AFRCOM for a while tonight and probably pop back in the AM but we're buggin' out by noon or so.  Still not sure which way to run though - SW to Naples or NW (Alaska?).  We'll see what the predictions look like tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Broward County checking in. School has been canceled for Thursday, September 2nd. My supplies are stocked and so is ammo. My in-laws and brothers-in-law are coming over. They have two pit-bulls and two parrots. I couldn't say no, they live in the Trailer Park. This ought to test my patience pretty good. I'll be posting regularly as power allows. Oh well, here goes nothing.

HS1

to say the least you can train the birds for recon and have the pitts attack looters
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Panama City checking in... No threat here yet really, let me know if any of you need anything.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Palm beach county here...I am in a mandatory evac zone and we are getting the boot tomorrow. I have been getting the loose ends tied up today, and am as set as I can be. Once the area comes under watch I am put on-call. This one is gonna get interesting.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same track as Floyd!!!!  Damn Man, We already had 4 storms to visit NC this year, ain't that enought?

Vulcan94

Sorry bro.  I don't wish this beast on anyone, especially me.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#36]
There may be a slight, very slight, glimmer of hope for the Sunshine state.

Notice that the most recent model runs show the storm turning north.

The older model runs show the cross state track.

This info is no longer available on the NHC site, probably because they fear too many amateur forecasters, maybe with good reason.

The Orlando Chan 9 weather guy said at 1800 he might be able to shift the track north at 2300.

For what it’s worth.

We’re still bugging out in the AM, but it would be nice to know that my house wasn’t subjected to 130 mph winds.

Mike

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I guess I was grasping at straws.

At 2300 chan 9 says the track is still through Brevard, and Orange.

Best of luck to you all.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#38]
This sucks, I gotta install a new fuel pump on my Jeep first thing tommorrow morning. Then I'll have to gas up. Great timing! Get ready boys, this one has sharp teeth and it's pissed off!

HS1
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#40]
The weather people here at my work are going SFN....

Looks like this'll be a big one....  And again, the chief meteorologist here says he has no clue as to what is really going to happen with this thing......so don't believe everything you hear....

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#41]
" This one has it all "

State meteorologist, Ben Nelson
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Florida is the new PLYWOOD STATE Good luck guys and watch your SIX
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Got ply wood cut to fit my windows, have lead anchors and hardware to attach the plywood to the house.  Most of the anchors will be hid when I put the fake shutters back on.

Got 14 gals of gas for my Coleman generator, been freezing ice for the past three days.  20 Gals of water on hand with the ability to rig my well to the generator if necessary.

Plenty of food on hand.

I'm LE and had to sit at the local hardware store due to possible problems with customers having short tempers.  The Florida Turnpike was bumper to bumper all day, crawling at times.  US Hwy 301 started to get crowded as I got off tonight.  So far, I'm on call.

I'm in NW Lake County and thus far it appears the storm well pass under us, to the South with perhaps 60 MPH winds (not too bad considering).  Lets hope for the best.

Good luck all and God Bless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I-75 bumber to bumper 30mph from the turnpike to GA line. I hope if you're going your gone by now. A few gas stations were starting to RUN OUT OF GAS in the Gainesville area.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:03:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Good Luck Guys.

I've been through a few typhoons in the Philippines and tried to guess where a few more would go when I was with MSCFE and MSCSEA.  If it is going to pass North than bugging to the SW is the way we used to try to get ships to go.  

This mutha is real spread out and although it may not be as fast the winds are gonna last longer.  Damn.
I am becoming more and more convinced I prefer earthquakes.  Bang, it's there, a minute later you know the score.  this waiting and guessing for days would drive me screaming bonkers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:39:24 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I paid $700 for a 3000 watt which normally you can get them for the same price at the hardware stores but you get 5000 watts at that price.  The guy at Bobcat told me the engine was a Honda and that attributed to the increased price.

That's not a bad price for a Honda. They're just about the best you can get. I have a Generac 3500 watter now but my next one will be a Honda: quieter, more durable, and fuel efficient.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:41:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, I'll be hunkered down at work through the storm.  We're the catastrophe coordination center for the state's largest insurer.  We've got over 1200 additional people heading IN to JAX for the storm.  Got all the most important stuff packed up and ready to go.  The sad part is, I just finished the 14 hour days with Charley.  It'll really suck if I have to handle everyone elses claims while my own home is in little cinderblock crumbles...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#48]
So far, looks like Indian River is going to be landfall. I'm boarded up, geared up, and watching the weather.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#49]
I've got a case of beer, a case of Dinty Moore, and some dirty magazines, so I'm really to go

Seriously, stay safe everyone and good luck

(now I wish I lived more that 75 yards away from the St. Johns river)

-sc
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#50]
This storm is really starting to piss me off! It's barely moving and it's fuckin' up my weekend!

When she finally does hit land, she'll be little more than a 24-36 hour rainstorm. That's a good thing!

You guys north of me stay safe! Here I was hoping for looters. At this point I just want the 7-11 to reopen!

HS1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top