Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2004 5:45:33 AM EDT
Just a reminder gentlemen (and ladies) that there are two storms out there, and they're coming our way.

Make your preperations NOW.

That is all.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm west of Ft. Lauderdale and barely survived Andrew in '92. I am stocked! It has become SOP this time of year, only now I have a wife and two young daughters to worry about. Get prepped ASAP!

HS1
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep.. Just got back from the Depot.  Got my ply-wood, anchor screws, and hopefully a few good neighbors to help me put it all up tomarrow.

-AR
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This sucks! it looks like we are going to take it right on the nose. Damn I have to board up all the windows. Charlie you suck!

What really sux is that I'm the disaster guy at work - so I'm making sure everyone gets all their PC and shit off teh ground, away from the windows and covered in Visqueen.

THEN - I gotta go sandbag my SnowBird parent's condo in Mad Beach

THEN - I gotta board up my place.

<Luckily I'k one of those crazy preparedness guys , so I'm set at home except for boarding up>

Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#6]
any news
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Local Wal-Mart is a mad house, glad I have everything I need.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes it sucks!
I work at a hospital in Pinellas County, and I have to drive to work on Friday, and Saturday.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to go here in Z-hills. I'm ready as I'll ever be.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I've battened down the hatches here in Cape Coral but it looks like the folks in the Tampa Bay Area are gonna take it on the nose....$bob$
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:41:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Feeder band blew thru about 0300 hear in the cape. 40 mph gusts. well see about the storm surge. glad I allready had my wood and kit... to many last minute people hear in the Cape. Hey LD where in the cape Im NE up by Lowes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Still calm here in Z-Hills. The folks on TV are very concerned for the coastal areas.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Local Wal-Mart is a mad house,

yea but that is just normal

Any updates down there?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Becareful fellas!!!  I've been through my share of storms while living on the coast.  Batten down the hatches and stay inside.  I know that's a no brainer, but during Bonnie (96) and Fran (96) we watched a bunch of dumbasses out during the eye of the storm.  

I'm hoping for the best for you guys!!!

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#15]
How much XM193 are you guys hoarding for when society as we know it breaks down ?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Well...  it's headed straight for me....

Right now it's spooky calm outside.  

I'll try to keep ya'll posted.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Rain here now. We are under manditory evac. I'm staying put for a while to see where it turns. If I bug out I'm only taking two mags for rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Its up to a Cat 4 now.  ITs going to make some real mess out of the west coast!  

Good luck to you all.  Im in mimai and its just gust of wind and really no rain!

Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#19]
13,000 rounds here no worries for me
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
13,000 rounds here no worries for me

so your gonna shoot it out with a hurricane
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Stealthy asked how much we had in ammo I am ready try to come to my house and steal my shit
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
breaking news, stealthy individual shot during a looting spree, news at 11
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Just wanted to add my best wishes to all of you in the path of this storm (Charley)  Looks like a bad one.  I use to live in Cocoa Beach (back in the good old days:).  Be careful and watch your six.

Rick
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like it is going to pass to the East of me.  We were ready for the worst but looks like we got lucky THIS TIME.  

Good luck to those not so fortunate.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#25]
that was too close to us in Jax I hope all of are southern friends are ok
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey all and FDDC folks:

We just got power today at 11:30 am after loosing it Friday night at about 10 pm.  I work for Seminole County Gov't. and live in Volusia:  lots of trees down, power out, some phones out, but overall not too bad.  Working in the EOC and putting in about 40 hrs. work in 3 days was a bit tiring.  Homefront is ok, family recovering.

- A very tired White Horse

p.s.  All the OT is going toward a new toy or an upgrade to noban status for my rifle.    I will be there Hawkeye!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I took a trip to observe the hurricane damage on Sunday. I live on the outskirts of Brandon and all we saw was a little wind and maybe a couple inches of rain.

I drove East on SR 60 towards where the path of hurricane went. I did not see any signs of damage until Mulberry. I started to see evidence of tree limbs down and signs blown away and other minor damage. Between Mulberry and Bartow the evidence became more apparent. I saw many tree limbs down, signs, awnings and some house damage. Electricity was out. As I was coming out of Bartow, heading towards Lake Wales, I started to see significant damage. Power lines down, tree uprooted, houses and trailers with significant damage. I saw the most damage as I got to Lake Wales and turned north on Highway 27 towards Winter Haven. Many buildings damaged, uprooted trees and power lines down. I skirted Winter Haven and went to Haines City and then northeast to Loughman where I grew up. The house that I survived Hurricane Donna in 1960 had more damage to it now than in 1960.

Then I doubled backed to Winter Haven to visit some of my friends. I lived in Winter Haven for 25 years and know many people there. Many power lines down and significant tree damage. I went by a house I had built in 1984. The house was in good shape but oak trees that I had planted many years ago were uprooted. The trees were over three feet in diameter and stood 50 feet high or more.

Our friends in Winter Haven were cleaning the mess up and were miserable without electricity. A big thunderstorm was on the way that added to the misery index. They are expecting to be without power for several more days.

A couple of observations. I saw hundreds of power company truck crews working. They were from all over the Southeast. States like Louisiana, the Carolinas, Georgia, Mississippi, etc. I saw one staging area where there must have been over a hundred power line trucks. I suspect that was the night crews. From about Mulberry on it looked liked most gas stations were closed. The few stations I saw opened had long lines of cars.

It was an interesting trip. We dodged a bullet here in the Tampa metroplex. Our friends to the East took the bullet for us. God bless them and protect them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Feeder band blew thru about 0300 hear in the cape. 40 mph gusts. well see about the storm surge. glad I allready had my wood and kit... to many last minute people hear in the Cape. Hey LD where in the cape Im NE up by Lowes.

I'm south of the east end of Viscaya. Lost 60 shingles (already replaced) and 5 panels of screen on pool cage which I'll replace tomorrow....

My friends in Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda didn't fare so well.... <sigh>

$bob$
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top