Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 8:19:56 PM EDT
Hey guys:

Well, I made the move from Houston.  Now I just need to find a job...

Anyway, I need to have a small part made:

http://members.cox.net/tangenjh/part1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/tangenjh/broken.jpg

In case anyone cares, this is for a browning belt loader.  I've seen this part break before, but unfortunately, my supply of replacements has run out.  How much should a piece like this cost to have made, and can you recommend anyone in the Gainesville area to do it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You may already know this so no insult meant.
The part looks as though it was stamped out.
which means it was made by a die. To have something like this machined (conventionally, using a manual or cnc mill) would be costly.
However, you may be able to find a company that has an E.D.M or a laser that could cut this out. The setup is the most costly part of making it, so you may want to inquire how much it would be to make several. Also, that part may be heat treated.Which adds another issue.
I hope this was some help.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:30:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you by chance have the missing piece? It could likly be TIG welded in place. You won't find anyone to CNC machine one, the reason is it takes a good bit of time to write the code or enter the desing in software like Solid Works then build the jig to hold the material, creat a tool list etc. If you want 10,000 of them then it's a different story. Making one manually would be time intensive and costly due to the complex contours. Best bet would be find someone with a laser and have the replacements cut. 4140 or tool steel should work fine, HT accordingl. I don't know any machine shops in G'ville that have laser but I'll check anyway. Might still have to draft the design into Solid Works.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:09:42 AM EDT
[#3]
You are in luck.Just south of you in Bushnell is THE AR15 gunsmith,Kurt Wala.Go over to the Industry forums and check out Kurts Kustom.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions.  Luckily enough, GPC was able to find some for me, so I won't need to have any made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top