Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2003 7:42:31 AM EDT
Is it legal for civilians to have supressors in FL?  What will I have to do to get registered for one or is there a site I can go to to read more?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to ww.myflorida.com.  Search for FDLE and the statutes dealing with firearms is 790.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Suppressors are legal.  You just have to go through the same process as any NFA item.  Some CLEOs won't sign off on it, though.  Our old sherriff(Glover) wouldn't and I don't know who else is able to sign off.  If anybody knows I'd like to as well
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Great! If the CLEO has to sign off it may prevent us from getting one, But there maybe alternatives but I doubt it since it may go by the county you reside in.  I am in Duval (Jax) and If the old Sherriff did not chances are the new one will not either.

I was really impressed by the supressors the Knights Armamnent guys had on there AR's at the FDCC shoot last month and that really has got me wanting one. They were just to cool and so quiet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Great! If the CLEO has to sign off it may prevent us from getting one, But there maybe alternatives but I doubt it since it may go by the county you reside in.  I am in Duval (Jax) and If the old Sherriff did not chances are the new one will not either.

I was really impressed by the supressors the Knights Armamnent guys had on there AR's at the FDCC shoot last month and that really has got me wanting one. They were just to cool and so quiet.

In some places, other persons (Director of Public Safety, etc...) can sign. You'll have to check into who can sign in your area. But, if you cannot get a signature...you can form a Corporation and buy it through the corporation. Corporate NFA purchases don't require CLEO Signature.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not absolutely sure about this, but I think you can form a Corp. and bypass the CLEO sign off requirement. However, this is just something I have heard. I do not know for sure.

Anybody know for sure?

Edit to add...
Nevermind I didn't see the post above. Sorry
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Our old sherriff(Glover) wouldn't and I don't know who else is able to sign off.  If anybody knows I'd like to as well

m3877,
Several gun dealers here in Jacksonville have told me that our new Sheriff, John Rutherford, has told them that he has no problem signing off on class 3 stuff, as long as your backround check comes back good.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:34:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Desperado, That is great news!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
YUP! Even though I can't afford any class 3 stuff right now, it's nice to know there will be no roadblocks when I can!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
m3877,
Several gun dealers here in Jacksonville have told me that our new Sheriff, John Rutherford, has told them that he has no problem signing off on class 3 stuff, as long as your backround check comes back good.

If this is true I may have to put off some other purchases.  Any recommendations on a suppresor for a Glock 21?
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Judges can also sign.

And yes, you can form a corporation and have the item as a corporate asset.   Then, you don't even have to TELL the sheriff or chief.

This is a powerful incentive.  I refer you to Lumpy's thread.  I suggest you read it.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=167964&w=activePop

CJ
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:21:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, you can possess any nfa item in Florida as long as it is possessed in compliance with Federal Law. If you cant get a CLEO in your area to signoff you could always incorporate. Florida has always been a tough state to get a CLEO signature, that's why there are more corporate transfers in Florida than any other state.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#12]
In my county (Brevard), both of the running candidates for Sheriff have stated to me, in response to direct questions by me, that they will sign off a form 4 without hesitation, providing of course that you've negotiated the other obstacles successfully.   And the existing sheriff, who is reluctant to sign unless you meet certain extra conditions of his (Access to your gun safe at any time to see what's in it, indeed!) is not even running for re-election, so the way I see it, things are about to get better in this county no matter who wins.

CJ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top