Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 3:56:29 PM EDT
Am asking for a friend who is a FL resident.
He is an older gentleman who is fairly new to FL and has a large gun collection that he wants to sell (and doesn't want to give them away to a dealer, so he will be one of these "private sale" folks until they're sold).

Is there a waiting period:
1] In all counties in FL or only some?
2] For buying a handgun?
3] For buying a rifle?
4] For buying a handgun or rifle from an individual who is selling their own personal guns at a gun show?
5] From a licensed dealer?

Would appreciate any info you can give. He wants to follow the law, and is hearing different things, especially from people who are "private sale" table holders at the gun shows.  Thanks a bunch, folks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a waiting period:
1] In all counties in FL or only some? all
2] For buying a handgun?yes
3] For buying a rifle?no
4] For buying a handgun or rifle from an individual who is selling their own personal guns at a gun show?no
5] From a licensed dealer?yes handgun  no rifle or shotgun
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it true there's no waiting period if you have your Florida CCW?

Dirk
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Isn't it true there's no waiting period if you have your Florida CCW?

yes, or trading in a hand gun on another.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Slight Corrections:

1] In all counties in FL or only some? All
2] For buying a handgun? Always
3] For buying a rifle? In Some Counties
4] For buying a handgun or rifle from an individual who is selling their own personal guns at a gun show? In Some Counties
5] From a licensed dealer? Always for Handguns. In Some Counties for Rifles.

In 1998, the Sheeple passed an amendment to our state constitution allowing counties to adopt waiting periods of up to 5 days on all sales of guns where the "public has a right to access." I.E. Gun Shows, Gun Shops, etc...

Only a handfull of counties (Broward, Dade, and Palm Beach are the only ones I'm aware of) have adopted a waiting period on Longguns or a 5-day Waiting period. If you have a CCW, you are exempt from all waiting periods [state and county]. Same if you are trading in a handgun, I believe.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Slight Corrections:

4] For buying a handgun or rifle from an individual who is selling their own personal guns at a gun show? In Some Counties  quote]

Would this only apply to the three counties you mentioned--Broward, Dade and Palm Beach?

SGB...any comment?

This is all sooooo confusing. Now I understand why this guy--who still knows the federal rules from having his FFL a few years ago--is having a hard time figuring out what to do to legally sell his own guns at a gun show in Florida.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Those three are the only counties I'm aware of that have passed ordinances requiring a waiting period on private sales [at gun shows.] There may be a few others [I am not aware of]...but they'd most likely be in Southeast, West Central, or South Central Florida. The North end of the state is solidly Pro-Gun.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Slight Corrections:

4] For buying a handgun or rifle from an individual who is selling their own personal guns at a gun show? In Some Counties  quote]

Would this only apply to the three counties you mentioned--Broward, Dade and Palm Beach?

SGB...any comment?

This is all sooooo confusing. Now I understand why this guy--who still knows the federal rules from having his FFL a few years ago--is having a hard time figuring out what to do to legally sell his own guns at a gun show in Florida.

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Has anyone ever done what my friend is attempting to do--sell his guns as a "private seller"? What are the "do's" and "don't's" you observed? Counties to avoid? Any "gotcha" rules to watch out for? He knows about not selling to out of state residents, and asking to see the buyers ID to verify FL residence.
Anything else?

Thanks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top