Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 11:28:31 PM EDT
So I am here daydreaming about the Z5RS that has its form 1 pending now. I would like to get a retractable stock when the time comes, but I am not sure which model best suits me, as I have zero experience with MP5 stocks.

I like the aesthetics of the F stock slightly better than the old one for some reason, but I could be swayed either way. I see HKparts has a few models ranging from the $150 ATI models to the $600 German models, which is outside of the range of what I want to spend. I would just like to get some opinions on where the returns start to diminish & at what price can I get something functional that is "good enough". I would go used, but since I have little idea what I am looking at, I'd probably screw it up.

So looking for opinions on what everyone else is using, and if there is any telltale signs I should be looking for to differentiate between the good ones & bad ones if I go the used route.

(Disclaimer: I'm looking at the retractable stocks exclusively right now, I want to sample what is one of the more unique features of the MP5. I do understand the downfalls as far as cheek weld, & that the B&T is probably the most reasonable all-around choice)
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used the b&t folder, a2, old a3, new a3, now back to b&t on my sbr'd z5rs. The a3 stock is the classic look of the mp5 but it really sucks to shoot it.

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Similar thread I started... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/479288_Question-on-the-A3-stock.html

There was good feedback in that thread that may help you decide...

Currently running an A2 and just keeping my eyes open for a deal on something...
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Similar thread I started... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/479288_Question-on-the-A3-stock.html

There was good feedback in that thread that may help you decide...

Currently running an A2 and just keeping my eyes open for a deal on something...
View Quote
That's a great thread, but my question is more "which exact stock" vs "A3 or A3F". The prices vary quite a bit on them & I don't want to end up with the Hi Point of A3 stocks ( or the Wilson of stocks)
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The A3 F stock is great on a full size, I'd buy the cheap one from HKParts. I'm pretty sure that's what TPM put on my SD.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I purchased every stock made for the MP5 so that I could compare and have extras. I purchased them all from HKparts.net.

Top one is HK German F A3, one on the gun is German A3, then the HKparts 4 positon one, and bottom is ATI F A3 two position.

The two german ones fit better than the HKparts and ATI ones. The german ones don't cant backward on top of the gun. The finish is only slightly better on the German ones and unless you really know what you're looking at, you would never know the difference. The actual "stable" factor seems to be best with the cheap ATI one for some reason. The ATI one locks up real tight and solid.
The German original A3 type one feels the most flimsy and I've already broken it and replaced parts. The German F stock (i think like $500) is probably the best all around. Its solid and fits the Zenith perfectly, however it is more expensive than the US ones and its up to you to decide whether its worth the extra price. Honestly I don't think its a TON better, only slightly. None of them are as tough as the MPX collapsible stock and none of them are as comfortable to shoot. Honestly I like the MPX better and its more usable. HK is def for the look/nostalgia/personal issues...I personally dont like how the MP5 stock has that curve in the back, it ends up not fitting my shoulder right. The MP5 with collapsible stock is really not all that great. The MPX flat pad is much nicer.

Of the MP5 collapsible stocks I would personally get the German F stock in two position and then cut an extra notch in it where you want it. That's what I ended up doing. The 4 position is annoying because you end up having to mess with it to get it to the 3rd position, (position 2 and 4 are useless for me) all the way extended is too far of a LOP for me. You can see how long that MP5 stock is compared to the MPX extended.
All of them actually work fine, I think you'd be fine with the cheaper ones for normal use, but I do worry that they don't fit perfectly like the German ones. They all function fine though. Man its a tough call but overall id probably go with the expensive German F stock if you're really going to put it to hard use.

Try and find someone who has both the MPX and MP5 with these stocks and play with them before you buy. If you're in Vegas you're welcome to shoot my stuff.

pictures:

Its hard to explain in photos, but the German stocks when attached stay fully forward up top, the HKparts one and ATI ones cant back about 3mm. The German one attaches better, but again if I handed you the gun with the HKparts one and the German F one, MOST people wouldn't know the difference.

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
What you are paying for with the different A3 stocks is the quality of the manufacture, and depending on how anal you are you will hit the point of limited return really fast.

The cheaper stocks "work" just fine but they may be gritty, have lockup slop, have looser stock rails that shift slightly up and down when extended, have cheaper quality plastics with poor seams, have cheaper quality finishes, may have endcaps out of spec so they are either too tight or are too loose, etc. Some are better and some are worse... unless you can see the stock you are buying before you buy it, you are rolling the dice a bit on getting a "good" one as opposed to a "functional but ugly" one.

Unless you are an HK snob and really want that Germanic quality (of which I am guilty) then you are better served buying the cheapest A3 you can find along with a cheap US made or surplus A2 stock... or split the difference and get a B&T side folder. Because while I'm not saying it will happen for you, most people tire of A3 stocks pretty quickly and wind up getting either an A2 or a B&T. While the A3's on 9mm guns are not painfully obnoxious like on a G3, they are just odd stocks to get a comfortable and repeatable cheekweld on from which to shoot extended range sessions with. They are compromises of space and function, designed to shorten the rifle and be "handy" rather than be comfortable... Function over form.

I own and have owned several A3 stocks of various manufacture and generation. I have only kept one, a real German HK A3 non F. And the only reason I keep it is because it is an iconic stock. When I take my full size clones out shooting I always have my A2's on them unless someone I'm going shooting with wants to shoot with the A3... and every time they do, after about two mags they want to switch back to the A2.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome writeups, exactly what I was looking for.

It looks like I'll be going with the ATI A3F & possibly an A2. Given that the ATI sounds like it isn't a complete POS, I probably will be satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The A3 F-stock is the best looking. If you want to actually shoot it, the A2 stock is where it's at.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah A2 is best for shooting a lot with it, but honesty the collapsible aren't that bad.

I have a brand new HKparts.net one I'll sell you for $150 delivered?

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-Retractable-Stock-4-Position-83p16243.htm
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The A3 F-stock is the best looking. If you want to actually shoot it, the A2 stock is where it's at.
View Quote
Spot on!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah A2 is best for shooting a lot with it, but honesty the collapsible aren't that bad.

I have a brand new HKparts.net one I'll sell you for $150 delivered?

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/MP5-Retractable-Stock-4-Position-83p16243.htm
View Quote
I sent you a PM so I can stay in touch when the Form 1 gets back
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I am here daydreaming about the Z5RS that has its form 1 pending now. I would like to get a retractable stock when the time comes, but I am not sure which model best suits me, as I have zero experience with MP5 stocks.

I like the aesthetics of the F stock slightly better than the old one for some reason, but I could be swayed either way. I see HKparts has a few models ranging from the $150 ATI models to the $600 German models, which is outside of the range of what I want to spend. I would just like to get some opinions on where the returns start to diminish & at what price can I get something functional that is "good enough". I would go used, but since I have little idea what I am looking at, I'd probably screw it up.

So looking for opinions on what everyone else is using, and if there is any telltale signs I should be looking for to differentiate between the good ones & bad ones if I go the used route.

(Disclaimer: I'm looking at the retractable stocks exclusively right now, I want to sample what is one of the more unique features of the MP5. I do understand the downfalls as far as cheek weld, & that the B&T is probably the most reasonable all-around choice)
View Quote

Where in TX are you. I have both a A2 and A3. You might want to try before you make a decision. Like everyone has said the A2 is better for shooting. But the A3 has bonus CDI factor. I mostly use the A3 so I can put it into a laptop pocket of my range bag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top