Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2012 8:51:08 AM EDT
I've got a GSG-5 SD made prior to the HK lawsuit and love it.  But I'm also considering getting one of the HK Umarex MP5 SD .22LR.  Are these pretty reliable?  Anyone had bad experiences with them?   Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering the same thing.

Also, where is the Carbine MP5 actually being made?

Reading the Description for both the Pistol and Carbine states the Pistol is made by Umarex and the Carbine Made in Germany.

Or is Umarex based out of Germany making this a little confusing?  
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I was wondering the same thing.

Also, where is the Carbine MP5 actually being made?

Reading the Description for both the Pistol and Carbine states the Pistol is made by Umarex and the Carbine Made in Germany.

Or is Umarex based out of Germany making this a little confusing?  

there are sites for Umarex USA and just Umarex.com. The latter appears to reside in Germany, so the company is probably German.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand, Umarex is the importer. They are supposedly built by Walther, but it has been argued that the Walther name is just that: a name.

I have the MP5A5/22 carbine. Haven't had an issue with it yet. Seems pretty reliable: I've used both subsonic and standard rounds in it with no malfunctions. Looks very authentic, more so then the GSGs ever did. The retractable stock wobbles a little bit, but I believe it also does on real MP5s also.

Jacknife's review is pretty thorough. According to his thread, standard MP5 foregrips should fit, and some airsoft accessories will also fit with little to no modification.

The GSG magazines will not work with the Umarex carbines and vice versa. The Umarex magazines are also slightly more expensive, but they look like they are built better. The Umarex ones are also harder to SBR if you are going to chop the barrel. The barrel is very thin and has an outer shroud that complicates matters. But, you can order one of the Umarex HK416 pistol barrels and it will drop right in. The only issue there is finding one, but it is nice to have the option to just drop the barrel in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I know nothing about these guns but ran into a similar situation with the Walther P22. It was determined that it is made in Germany by a BB gun company named Umarex, badged with the licensed "walther" name and imported by S&W.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know nothing about these guns but ran into a similar situation with the Walther P22. It was determined that it is made in Germany by a BB gun company named Umarex, badged with the licensed "walther" name and imported by S&W.

Yes, Umarex is an airsoft company. I don't know if they are based in Germany and have a USA based business to import the firearms they make. Regardless, OP, go to your local funstore and fondle one. That's going to better answer your questions than listening to reviews here. I think it's a decent "tacticool" .22 for a decent price. I think it's only been out a year, so it might be hard to find decent reviews that are going to give you an idea of how durable it is. Jacknife's review is the first one I've seen that is pretty in depth.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Umarex is an airsoft company. I don't know if they are based in Germany and have a USA based business to import the firearms they make. Regardless, OP, go to your local funstore and fondle one. That's going to better answer your questions than listening to reviews here. I think it's a decent "tacticool" .22 for a decent price. I think it's only been out a year, so it might be hard to find decent reviews that are going to give you an idea of how durable it is. Jacknife's review is the first one I've seen that is pretty in depth.

One of these would never show up at a LGS or gun show in my small city.  So, I have to buy sight unseen by ordering from my local pro shop.   I've got the Colt M4 and now realize from this thread that the MP5 also uses a similar barrel tensioning system to pull the thin barrel taut inside a sleeve.  I also own a Colt Umarex (Walther) 1911-22 and it is a decent pistol, so I may buy the HK MP5 also.   I'll be surprised if it's that much better than my GSG-5SD in terms of weight, ruggedness and accuracy, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
But, you can order one of the Umarex HK416 pistol barrels and it will drop right in. The only issue there is finding one, but it is nice to have the option to just drop the barrel in.

Is this true?  Who carries them?  There was a lengthy thread on HKPro about trying to SBR this gun and nobody mentioned this option.

To the OP, I personally like the HK .22 better than the GSG-5.  I also had the pre-lawsuit GSG-5SD and sold it once I bought one of these.  I've had zero problems with mine thus far, I'd just really like to SBR it.  About the only complaint I have is that it's a PITA to completely disassemble for cleaning.  If you're one of those that likes to do a really good cleaning after every range trip this might bother you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But, you can order one of the Umarex HK416 pistol barrels and it will drop right in. The only issue there is finding one, but it is nice to have the option to just drop the barrel in.

Is this true?  Who carries them?  There was a lengthy thread on HKPro about trying to SBR this gun and nobody mentioned this option.

To the OP, I personally like the HK .22 better than the GSG-5.  I also had the pre-lawsuit GSG-5SD and sold it once I bought one of these.  I've had zero problems with mine thus far, I'd just really like to SBR it.  About the only complaint I have is that it's a PITA to completely disassemble for cleaning.  If you're one of those that likes to do a really good cleaning after every range trip this might bother you.

I'll have to find the thread later. It's in the .22 forum, probably 2-3 pages back.

ETA: Found it for you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as cleaning goes, I've come to terms with the fact that after hitting the areas that I could hit with a toothbrush, the only easy way to clean it is fill her full of a spray type cleaner like Breakfree CLP.  I just keep spraying till I don't see any more dirt/debris wash out.

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#10]
mine has been going strong for 1600 rounds, all Federal Bulk 550 packs.
i love the weight and feel of it, solid shooter. accurate at 20-25 yards with a reflex sight on a low-pro rail.
cleaning is a pain but u just have to work the brush in there as much as possible. stock up on QTIPs also.
still debating the fixed stock over the retract stock for better cheek placement.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll have to find the thread later. It's in the .22 forum, probably 2-3 pages back.

ETA: Found it for you.

Cool, thanks for the link.  I'll have to try and hunt one of those down.

Quoted:
As far as cleaning goes, I've come to terms with the fact that after hitting the areas that I could hit with a toothbrush, the only easy way to clean it is fill her full of a spray type cleaner like Breakfree CLP.  I just keep spraying till I don't see any more dirt/debris wash out.

Yeah that's what I do now.  I broke it completely down once but now I just spray CLP.  I'll do a good, deep clean every 500 or 1000 rounds or something.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#12]
What is the HK Umarex receiver made of?  I've seen one or two sources say it is cast aluminum.  Considering the price, deducting HK's "name" fee, then I can't imagine it would be anything more than cast Zamak zinc alloy like the GSG's.  (Not that there's anything wrong with Zamak.  I own several of those and like them... so don't get started on the pot metal argument).  Does anyone know for sure what the HK receiver is made of?
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Previously, I've owned a pre-lawsuit GSG5 and later traded or sold it. For the most part, it was pretty reliable and only hiccuped once on about every 3 mags or so with bulk ammo.

I decided I kinda missed it and recently stumbled on the HK MP5-A5 version at the local Sports Authority. I snapped it up and have had the opportunity to put about  250 rounds of Federal bulk-pack and CCI Mini-Mag 40 gr. through it. It hasn't hiccuped yet.

The only similarity between the GSG and the original HK is external. While the GSG bears a fairly strong resemblence to the centerfire MP5, the MP5 A5 appears very authentic in detail, completely different internally and seemingly much better made.

I ordered a low-profile claw mount and a reflex red dot on amazon. The mount is a cheapo NC Star for $10.95, NOT the $95.00 HK accessory version. It is a solid and very tight fit and went on with some coaxing from my plastic mallet. The finish matches the receiver perfectly and I'm really glad I didn't go with the more expensive mount.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#14]
My 9mm clone is fun these things got to be crazy fun. What's the price difference between the hk and the gsg?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My 9mm clone is fun these things got to be crazy fun. What's the price difference between the hk and the gsg?

A current GSG-522SD can be had for less than $400 (but doesn't look like an MP5 anymore).   The old pre-lawsuit GSG-5SD looked like more like the real deal, but are hard to find unused (I paid $450 for mine in 2009).   I just bought a HK Umarex MP5 SD for $540.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A current GSG-522SD can be had for less than $400 (but doesn't look like an MP5 anymore).   The old pre-lawsuit GSG-5SD looked like more like the real deal, but are hard to find unused (I paid $450 for mine in 2009).   I just bought a HK Umarex MP5 SD for $540.

Gander Mountain had the MP5 A5s in their sales paper for $499.  They didn't have any listing for the SD though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I paid $525.00 at Sports Authority.

I took it out again today to sight in the UAG (not UTG) red dot that arrived yesterday. What a piece of crap. It took about 200 rounds to get the damnded thing sighted becasue the windage and elevation adjustments were toatally unreliable. I had to screw with it for nearly an hour before I got it zeroed at 25 yds. Now that it is on and locked down, it seems to be holding zero. Time will tell. Today I ordered a Truglo reflex for my Ruger 22/45 MKlll. I have one on my Sig Sauer 556 that was quick to sight-in and holds zero with a couple of thousand rounds of 5.56 under it's belt. They seem to be excellent and not much more than the UAG.

Good news is; the HK MP5 A5 NEVER malfunctioned, again. It will put 10 rounds in the size of a quarter at 25 yds. from a rest with Fed. bulk. It could be one of the most accurate .22's I've ownded and certainly the most reliable .22 Semi I've owned so far. I thought my Sig Sauer 522 was great, and it is, but I'm waiting for their customer service (excellent, by the way. I've had to order parts in the past) to send a new bolt assembly on warranty.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Cheaper than Dirt has the Umarex MP5A5 .22 for about $450 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I picked up my MP-5SD at the Eglin PX last summer for I think $475 or so.  Mine has been a great little rifle being plenty accurate for what it is.  She has seen a steady diet of nothing but the lowest priced Remington and Federal bulk packs of ammo that Wal-Mart has to offer and has yet to have so much as a hicup and that's probably well over 2,000 rounds by now.  Yes, a good cleaning looks like it can be a problem since taking it compleely apart isn't going to be easy but for routine cleaning with Q-tips, pipe cleaners and a bore snake, it's not too bad.  I've been holding off on getting more magazines for it (it only came with one) to see if it would hold up well enough to justify the added expense of getting a few spares but I am thinking now that it is maybe at that point I can justify getting a few spare mags for it.  
I guess if there is anything I could change about the design, the rear sight maybe could have been done better in some regards.  An original H&K, you need a special tool to adjust the rear sight's elevation.  With this model, you simply turn the drum to adjust the elevation.  While this is more simple and doesn't require the expensive tool, now if you have a preference for either the smaller aperatures or the larger ghost ring style aperature, it's a matter of luck which one you will be looking through and still have a correct POI on the target.  I am also considering going with the fixed stock since I am not completely sold on the ruggedness of the collapsing stock mine came with .  Might just be paronoia on my part and the collapsing stock does make it very compact so I'm still on the fence about going that route.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#20]
umarex usa is an airsoft co locacted in Ft, Smith Arkansas.  the also import firearms.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I wrote HK to ask them what my new HK Umarex MP5-SD receiver was made from... cast aluminum or  cast Zamak (because I've seen one or two forum posts that said it was cast aluminum).  I know that Umarex/Walther makes the gun, but it has the HK seal of approval.  I got a rather snotty reply from an HK rep telling me to "contact Umarex as they have nothing to do with that product other than the name".  F...me?  Well, f... you HK!   If you put your name on a product (and sued GSG to keep them from making something that looked like your upcoming similar product), then you ought to fricken know more about your endorsed product.  Assholes.

Remind me to never ever buy any HK product again.

P.S.  I also wrote and asked Umarex the same thing.  They never replied.   Assholes.   (and after I bought their Colt M4gery and Colt 1911-22 products in addition to the HK MP5-SD)

At least ATI/GSG answers my queries.  Yay GSG !!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wrote HK to ask them what my new HK Umarex MP5-SD receiver was made from... cast aluminum or  cast Zamak (because I've seen one or two forum posts that said it was cast aluminum).  I know that Umarex/Walther makes the gun, but it has the HK seal of approval.  I got a rather snotty reply from an HK rep telling me to "contact Umarex as they have nothing to do with that product other than the name".  F...me?  Well, f... you HK!   If you put your name on a product (and sued GSG to keep them from making something that looked like your upcoming similar product), then you ought to fricken know more about your endorsed product.  Assholes.

Remind me to never ever buy any HK product again.

P.S.  I also wrote and asked Umarex the same thing.  They never replied.   Assholes.   (and after I bought their Colt M4gery and Colt 1911-22 products in addition to the HK MP5-SD)

At least ATI/GSG answers my queries.  Yay GSG !!!!!  

If you wrote Colt to ask them about their trademarked airsoft rifles, I'm sure you'd get the same answer. They have nothing to do with the rifles besides giving a company the right to produce airsoft replicas with the name and pony on them. I've read about people having the same contact issues with GSG from time to time, so please don't act like HK personally came to your house and shit in your cheerios.

Have you tried calling Umarex? Some companies aren't the best with e-mails but will get you immdediate answers over the phone. Hell, give me the contact information and I'll give it a shot.

ETA: I went through their website and sent an e-mail. I found numbers for Umarex Austria and Germany but none for their US based plant. I'll keep looking. If anyone else knows a contact number, let me know. I'll look in my carbine's manual later tonight.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I have the MP5 A5 model and it has held up well. No issues. Was a pain in the ass to get spare mags at the time. Haven't looked lately, but aside from that is has functioned well on all types of .22LR ammo. I imagine the MP5 SD would be similar in experience.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Just got off the phone with Jeff at Umarex. He told me the receiver is made of a zinc alloy, so I would assume it's that zamak stuff. Besides their confusing phone menu, it took me less than 3 minutes to call and talk to someone there. Seemed friendly and I was encouraged to call back if I wanted to know anymore. Their phone number is (479) 646-4210, and I believe they're open from 0900 to 1700 CST.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just got off the phone with Jeff at Umarex. He told me the receiver is made of a zinc alloy, so I would assume it's that zamak stuff. Besides their confusing phone menu, it took me less than 3 minutes to call and talk to someone there. Seemed friendly and I was encouraged to call back if I wanted to know anymore. Their phone number is (479) 646-4210, and I believe they're open from 0900 to 1700 CST.

Thanks for checking.   I can't call anyone because I'm working overseas.  Email is my only option.  I figured the receiver was Zamak.  I've got no problems with that as I already mentioned, I have several other Zamak products.  I just wanted to know if the Umarex MP5 was made any differently than my GSG-5.  When I get home, I'll see how it stacks up against my GSG in terms of shootability.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for checking.   I can't call anyone because I'm working overseas.  Email is my only option.  I figured the receiver was Zamak.  I've got no problems with that as I already mentioned, I have several other Zamak products.  I just wanted to know if the Umarex MP5 was made any differently than my GSG-5.  When I get home, I'll see how it stacks up against my GSG in terms of shootability.

It's all good. E-mail is still one of the worst ways to get information from someone. If you have any other questions, let me know and I can try and give them another call.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, got back home, went straight to the LGS and picked up my new HK Umarex MP5 SD and shot it.  Man.. that is a heavy trigger pull. (My GSG-5 has a much better trigger pull).  I do not like the collapsible stock (uncomfortable to get cheekweld when shooting), so will immediately order a fixed stock.   I was basically just function testing and did not shoot for accuracy.  It loved my Wallyworld Federal bulk pack ammo, which is good.  No failures to fires or any other malfunction, so the gun seems to be a keeper.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well, got back home, went straight to the LGS and picked up my new HK Umarex MP5 SD and shot it.  Man.. that is a heavy trigger pull. (My GSG-5 has a much better trigger pull).  I do not like the collapsible stock (uncomfortable to get cheekweld when shooting), so will immediately order a fixed stock.   I was basically just function testing and did not shoot for accuracy.  It loved my Wallyworld Federal bulk pack ammo, which is good.  No failures to fires or any other malfunction, so the gun seems to be a keeper.  

So far the only thing I've had issues with was Winchester Super X.  I've run bulk federal, the 325rd boxes of federal auto match (unjacketed), bulk remington, winchester super x, and cci mini mags.  I had a lot of issues with the Winchesters, and 1 CCI that didn't feed right (about bent the round in half.  The CCI issue was most likely from the gun getting dirty.  I was at 600 rounds when I started testing the CCIs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I just received this e-mail today.

Dear Guykeefer:

The receiver  is made of cast aluminum.  Thanks.  

Best Regards,

Mike Cain

So, I don't know which it is. I assume the e-mail is correct, since I have no real idea who answered the phone and if they were just rushing to get me off the line (it was close to 1700 when they close).
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Just picked mine at the Chantilly show on Saturday and can't wait to get to the range.  I've found a few different sources for magazines but have two questions.

1. Has anyone had any luck with finding an inexpensive scope mount which works.  There is the $100 mount from HKparts but I was thinking something like this (https://www.primaryarms.com/Basic_GSG5_MP5_Scope_Mount_p/pamdmp5.htm)

2. Has anyone found a case for the rifle?  I need a soft case to lug this thing to the range.  All the other MP5\GSG cases I've looked at are a little too short.  I believe this rifle measures out to about 27" overall length with the butt-stock collapsed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just picked mine at the Chantilly show on Saturday and can't wait to get to the range.  I've found a few different sources for magazines but have two questions.

1. Has anyone had any luck with finding an inexpensive scope mount which works.  There is the $100 mount from HKparts but I was thinking something like this (https://www.primaryarms.com/Basic_GSG5_MP5_Scope_Mount_p/pamdmp5.htm)

2. Has anyone found a case for the rifle?  I need a soft case to lug this thing to the range.  All the other MP5\GSG cases I've looked at are a little too short.  I believe this rifle measures out to about 27" overall length with the butt-stock collapsed.

The UTG mount from AIM Surplus will work.  I had some issues with install.  I ended up using clamps to hold the claws in place until I had tightened the bolts, but it has mounted up securely.  I have yet to attach a scope to the mount, but will be once funds permit it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#32]
was wondering if any of these two rails would work on the hkmp5 22 , i just ordereda hk mp5 22 and will pick up next week.
https://www.trinityairsoft.com/p-147-mp5-rail-sleeve-by-laylax.aspx

http://www.zairsoft.com/servlet/the-979/Nitro-Vo-Rail-Sleeve/Detail

some others on hkpro.net site say that the this one is ok
http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=598&products_id=553
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
An original H&K, you need a special tool to adjust the rear sight's elevation.  With this model, you simply turn the drum to adjust the elevation.  While this is more simple and doesn't require the expensive tool, now if you have a preference for either the smaller aperatures or the larger ghost ring style aperature, it's a matter of luck which one you will be looking through and still have a correct POI on the target.

I have a factory HK .22LR and the drum sight (as far as I remember) goes 25m, 50m, 75m, 100m with the different apertures. Never had a manual with it, but it shoots near enough point of aim at 100m with the widest aperture. The sight on these Walther/Umarex copies might work similarly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
was wondering if any of these two rails would work on the hkmp5 22 , i just ordereda hk mp5 22 and will pick up next week.
https://www.trinityairsoft.com/p-147-mp5-rail-sleeve-by-laylax.aspx

http://www.zairsoft.com/servlet/the-979/Nitro-Vo-Rail-Sleeve/Detail

some others on hkpro.net site say that the this one is ok
http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=598&products_id=553

I can give feedback on the CA low profile mount.  Ive broken two of them, the first while tightening down a set screw on the claw.  The thing literally snapped off.
The second one while trying to mount a riser for my PA Micro-Dot.  Its just plain, cheap garbage.  You can break them apart with your fingers.

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 2:43:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I've tried all the "cheap" mounts and for one reason or another they didn't work out....in fact one actually broke during the install (stripped screws). I finally broke down and purchased the MFI mount from HK Parts... http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Umarex-HK-MP5-22-Low-Profile-Scope-Mount-312p2389.htm it took a little fitting, as per instructions but is rock solid. I mounted an Eotech and threw 500 rounds down range...perfect. The only issue is the trigger, it has a very long pull.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#36]
I like mine but it did not take long for me to get a fixed stock for it. The slider was too short and had too much vertical slop in it to suit me.

I've fired at least six different flavors of .22lr out of my MP5-A5 so far and it ate everything without any issues. It definately has a two-stage trigger but it breaks clean enough. I'm used to mil-surp triggers so...Meh.

With the irons and my old eyes I did .5" groups at 25 yards. Wolf Target cut that in half. It seemed to like 40 gr better that 36 gr.

Link Posted: 5/3/2012 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Sorry I'm late to the party. I absolutely love my H&K MP5SD .22LR! It is miles above the GSG-5, and then some. Only two problems so far have been:

1) Doesn't like Rem Subsonic. Seems to jam every few rounds.
2) Full cleaning/takedown is near impossible!

I have been able to clean it enough to fire reliably, but would rather deep clean it every now n then. Overall I have been impressed with this gun. And all other ammo runs smooth, 99.8 success rate. Which is by far better than any .22LR I have ever owned...

I am very very very glad I sold my POS GSG5PK for this! Best decision I have made in ages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top