Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2010 2:16:19 PM EDT
What are my choices for a MP5 clone. I would appreciate any advice on which are good and which ones to steer clear. Fully functional is the number 1 requirement. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a cohaire and replaced a bunch of parts but still had problems.  I'm sure with some time and patience I probably could have got all the kinks worked out but instead I sold it.  I ended up getting MKE 94k model when you could find them.  It has worked 100% with about 2k rounds through it.  I've recently finished my SBR (6 months of waiting for the damn paper work) and I couldn't be happier.  It shoots and looks great and I don't ever plan on getting a sear so I wasn't worried about the semi-auto only gun.  I'd look around for a MKE if want something that runs 100% out of the box.  I know some others have had good luck with cohaire, but I didn't..
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my MKE. The MKE needs US parts added (approx. 6), and the magazine blocks in the mag well removed as they restrict the use of hi cap mags (this is only a issue if you buy a carbine).

The carbine is going for approx. $1200 and you'll need to do the following:

-Add 6 US made parts Approx. $300
-Remove mag blocks Approx. $100
-Convert trigger pack to semi auto Approx. $75

So you have to be willing to spend around $1700.00 if you want to get a MKE and use hi cap mags.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a SW or LCS receiver flat or pre-folded/welded.

Collect your own MP5 parts.

Send all to a reputable gunsmith like Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms.

You will get a good aesthetically and mechanically functioning gun.

It might come out a little more expensive but you will get a gun with no headaches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I like my MKE. The MKE needs US parts added (approx. 6), and the magazine blocks in the mag well removed as they restrict the use of hi cap mags (this is only a issue if you buy a carbine).

The carbine is going for approx. $1200 and you'll need to do the following:

-Add 6 US made parts Approx. $300
-Remove mag blocks Approx. $100
-Convert trigger pack to semi auto Approx. $75  What exactly does this entail? If I understand everything correctly the MKE trigger housing already has a trigger block as well as selector block installed into the trigger housing before it is imported per batfe making it semi auto only)

So you have to be willing to spend around $1700.00 if you want to get a MKE and use hi cap mags.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The trigger pack had to be converted to semi in order to allow the trigger, hammer, and sear to work properly as per jayson at investment grade firearms. I sent jayson my rifle and parts to do the conversion.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I assume you went with the PTR compliance trigger parts?

What did you use for a stock and pistol grip? (or did you keep those)
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The trigger pack had to be converted to semi in order to allow the trigger, hammer, and sear to work properly as per jayson at investment grade firearms. I sent jayson my rifle and parts to do the conversion.

This statement still confuses me.  The factory MKE already comes  with a semi pack. doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I assume you went with the PTR compliance trigger parts?

What did you use for a stock and pistol grip? (or did you keep those)

I ordered a US made wide forearm and US made butt stock from Black Market Parts. My other US parts are the trigger, hammer, sear. and pistol grip all of which I bought from HKparts.net. It wasn't cheap, but given the price of some of the other clones or a real H&K 94 I'm very happy! Also, the MKE is made on real HK tooling as where other clones are not.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This statement still confuses me.  The factory MKE already comes  with a semi pack. doesn't it?

When I spoke to Jayson at IGF about the trigger pack, he stated that the trigger packs on the MKE weapons were not fully converted to semi auto. Drop Jayson a email I'm sure he'll be happy to answer your question.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
As Meechee stated, it already comes in semi-auto. The only thing i can think of is that on the rifles the lower is welded to the A2 stock so its actually 1 piece instead of 2. Why i have no idea, think it has something to do with importation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If you buy a MKE, buy a pistol. They take standard MP5 mags.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes that is true, But the rifle also has the ability to accept high cap mags by removing 2 small metal rails in the mag well with a dremel. Fairly easy to do but from then on 922r applys and you'll have to swap out parts. Same thing you'll have to do to the pistol if you want to put a stock on it to SBR it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes that is true, But the rifle also has the ability to accept high cap mags by removing 2 small metal rails in the mag well with a dremel. Fairly easy to do but from then on 922r applys and you'll have to swap out parts. Same thing you'll have to do to the pistol if you want to put a stock on it to SBR it.

Just sharing the route I took.

If you are having someone else do the work, like 1981, you spent $175 on modification, By the time you buy a high cap mag, you would have saved a few bucks going the SBR route.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Ya i got ya, goin the pistol route by far is the best. Plus you dont have that long 16' barrel to deal with. I actually forgot about that bc then you have to repress in a new barrel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As Meechee stated, it already comes in semi-auto. The only thing i can think of is that on the rifles the lower is welded to the A2 stock so its actually 1 piece instead of 2. Why i have no idea, think it has something to do with importation.

This brings about a good point.   Does anyone have pics of the stock MKE trigger pack?

To the OP,  if  F/A is not a concern,  I would go with an MKE.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ya i got ya, goin the pistol route by far is the best. Plus you dont have that long 16' barrel to deal with. I actually forgot about that bc then you have to repress in a new barrel.

But the pistol mke is a few hundered more then the carbine. I got my carbine for $1200 and when I got my carbine the piistols were $1500.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#17]
When I said that I meant if going the SBR route that the pistol is the way to go
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But the pistol mke is a few hundered more then the carbine. I got my carbine for $1200 and when I got my carbine the piistols were $1500.

The 94P model comes with a 16" barrel.

Bear Arms in Scottsdale ordered my 94K for me. I paid $1200 and they told me all three were priced the same. Of course, that was when they first came out. I think they wanted someone to order one just so they could check it out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:10:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Most of the clones seem to be hit or miss. Someone mentioned getting an hk parts kit and having someone built it into a gun using a flat. While this is an option if you go that route you might want to just keep an eye out for a real hk to have converted. Both of the later options are expensive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#20]
As ccosby stated, if your not wanting to buy a HK94 to convert to an MP5, then the best route by far, but almost just as expensive unless you do yourself is buying the demil kit for $1500-$2200 depending on what you want and $200 for a receiver flat. The only way to save money that way is to do yourself but you have to have a great deal of knowledge of how they work and know how to TIG weld. Alot of people think that because they can build an AK from a flat that they can do an MP5. It's a whole different animal thats for sure as i've done my own and it was extremely technical and i still spent close to $2500 in parts when all said and done. You also got to factor in the supplies to refinish like sand blasting, parkerizing and then picking up the correct paint to use in which I went with the semi-gloss HK Black from Duracoat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd get the demilled kit with flat and weld kit from LSC Mfg for $1500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top