Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2010 11:57:20 AM EDT
OK, I had a friend sell me a rifle today, like I really needed another one.  This is an HK-type rifle, I used to have the HK91 and HK93 back in the mid 1980's but got rid of them due to their effects on brass.  I know this is a clone but whould like to know what you guys think.  The rifle "lower" is marked "S" "E" and "F" with the number 802 on the safety lever side. The number looks clean and appears to be some type of factory stamp?  Between the stock pins, is the number 131.

The upper, which is a FLAT TOP, is marked:

FAG1 .308 CAL.
FEDERAL ARMS CORP.
(other writing here but duracoated over)
something Industries and BLOOMINGTON

Has a slim/vented handguard with the number 31G on it (raised lettering), slotted FS that screws off ratchet style.  Not as heavy as I remember my HK91 being.  I got the rifle, three mags with 60 rounds of ammo (20 are 110gr TAP), and a 5-pocket soft case for $400.00.  Pics to follow later tonight.

Several other SWAT guys got them a few years ago, this one just does not get used so I bought it.  The rifle is said to shoot great, I have yet to shoot ti but trust the sources.

So, do I have some junk or what?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like you bought the bulky cast  aluminum receiver  FA91  made by FEDERAL ARMS.the biggest problem with those, are the
cast  aluminum receiver, it will loosen up over time.   aluminum receiver are nevergood when the exposive power of round is acting on it.  ie. WILLIAMS FAL aluminum receiver

unlike a AR where the barrel is screwed into the receiver and all the exposive power of the round in concentrated  in the steel barrel/chamber, and not on the receiver itself, .on the FA91 all the  force is acting on the receiver itself.

on the FA91  the trunion is steel pinned onto the   cast aluminum receiver, and the force of the exploding round is concentrated in the trunnion,  which after a while the  aluminum receiver is not going to withstand it,  and soon will become loose, it won't exploded because of the thickness of the receiver, but   where the steel pin is it will loosen up there. aluminum is much softer then the steel, so it is going to give way eventually by elongated that pin hole

so it's bascially junk. but at least you didn't taken for too much. my advice is to sell it off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
sounds like you bought the bulky cast  aluminum receiver  FA91  made by FEDERAL ARMS.the biggest problem with those, are the
cast  aluminum receiver, it will loosen up over time.   aluminum receiver are nevergood when the exposive power of round is acting on it.  ie. WILLIAMS FAL aluminum receiver

unlike a AR where the barrel is screwed into the receiver and all the exposive power of the round in concentrated  in the steel barrel/chamber, and not on the receiver itself, .on the FA91 all the  force is acting on the receiver itself.

on the FA91  the trunion is steel pinned onto the   cast aluminum receiver, and the force of the exploding round is concentrated in the trunnion,  which after a while the  aluminum receiver is not going to withstand it,  and soon will become loose, it won't exploded because of the thickness of the receiver, but   where the steel pin is it will loosen up there. aluminum is much softer then the steel, so it is going to give way eventually by elongated that pin hole

so it's bascially junk. but at least you didn't taken for too much. my advice is to sell it off.

Thanks for the info... yea, it is light.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
you can either sell it off or buy a PTR91 reciever and have a good smith swap the parts. not sure exactly what the price is for that but its bound to cost you a couple hundred just to have the smith swap them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the receiver thick?  The aluminum receivers are much thicker than the stamped steel receivers.  Like was said, the aluminum doesn't hold up well to the .308 round.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, it's a temporarily functional parts kit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:21:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#7]
RANGE TRIP RESULTS:

Fired about 75 rounds, Federal FMJ, Wolf FMJ, and Hornady TAP.  All functioned 100%, shells eject about 20+ feet away.  Shooting in the damn hot heat and sun, I was rushed.

Front sight post is light colored so I had a hard time seeing it against the target background.  From 50 yards, resting on the bench with no bags or solid support, shot about 3" or so, not too bad at all.  Was not moving all that much but I was moving some.   I think after I color the front sight post and shoot with my sand bags for better support, perhaps I will shrink the group some.  If not, no big deal.

Well, for a piece of "junk", so far it is functioning, 100% like my buddy's, so far it has cycled what it was loaded with.  Who knows, I may just keep it for a range blaster.  At least I cam home with all my fingers and eyesight....

Opps.... ETA, groups were 3", not 2".

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
RANGE TRIP RESULTS:

Fired about 75 rounds, Federal FMJ, Wolf FMJ, and Hornady TAP.  All functioned 100%, shells eject about 20+ feet away.  Shooting in the damn hot heat and sun, I was rushed.

Front sight post is light colored so I had a hard time seeing it against the target background.  From 50 yards, resting on the bench with no bags or solid support, shot about 3" or so, not too bad at all.  Was not moving all that much but I was moving some.   I think after I color the front sight post and shoot with my sand bags for better support, perhaps I will shrink the group some.  If not, no big deal.

Well, for a piece of "junk", so far it is functioning, 100% like my buddy's, so far it has cycled what it was loaded with.  Who knows, I may just keep it for a range blaster.  At least I cam home with all my fingers and eyesight....

Yup, I had one for years, forgot how many hundreds of rounds I put through it (and it was used so maybe a total round count in the 1-2k range easily) and it worked fine till the day I traded it. It was pretty accurate too, 1.5" groups IIRC with match ammo.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
RANGE TRIP RESULTS:

I don't mean to sound crass but for the most part, nobody will really care. The rifle is considered junk and you might as well be posting on a Corvette forum about the performance you got out of a Chevette.  

I have a Springfield Armory version of this same gun that I bought new for $900. It is still tight and shoots perfectly fine. But it's still just a parts kit waiting to fall apart. The only benefit that mine has over yours is that it's a Springfield Armory gun with a lifetime warranty and I'll probably be able to get something for it whenever it finally falls apart. I have a couple of HK91 rifles now so there's no need to even shoot the thing. And .308 ammo is so expensive that it would cost more for the ammo to wear it out than it's worth to get it replaced.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, got rid of the rifle.  Like I said, it's hell on brass and I am a 100% reloader.  Got my money back out of it plus $25.00 and the free ammo.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top